navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » A Time To Say Goodbye
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Time To Say Goodbye Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow

0 posted 2009-11-09 03:30 PM

To each of us
there comes a time
when an action
becomes right:
a time of birth,
a time of death,
of sadness, or delight.

The clarion call
to fall in love,
the urge
to change direction:
a time for each choice
to be made
as we strive for perfection.

For me
the hardest time
of all,
no matter how I try,
is when the clock is still,
and it
is time to say goodbye.

"We are stardust:  we are golden:  and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."  --Joni Mitchell "Woodstock"

© Copyright 2009 James D. Fanning - All Rights Reserved
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
1 posted 2009-11-09 03:57 PM

Dear Jim,
I happened to read your profoundly touching poem while listening to this infinitely peaceful sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk6q0zxa4xQ

So I savored every word and the sadness of "goodbye" transformed into peaceful acceptance.

Exceptional work!

quote:
the clarion call to fall in love ...

... things change from one moment to the next and it is beautiful to be in the flow.

Love,
Margherita

Poetal
since 2009-11-09
Posts 74
Texas, United States
2 posted 2009-11-09 05:20 PM

What a perfect poem written with great wisdom that all persons can benefit by. It was beautifully written in perfect meter with great rhythm and rhyme. Compact to the point. Really fine job.

Thanks for the great read.

AL Inmon

Kosmic888
since 2009-11-01
Posts 29
Vancouver Canada
3 posted 2009-11-09 05:54 PM

Very nice rhythm to this piece, and it does evoke imagery and simile. Question: Would you consider begin the piece with middle stanza, followed by the first and leave the last intact? Just a thought... Peace - Ron
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
4 posted 2009-11-14 09:27 AM

You didn't mean this literally by saying good bye to us here, I hope, dear Jim. Take your time, but come back, please!

You are a precious and wonderful Poet and your presence here is highly appreciated.

Love,
Margherita

Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
5 posted 2009-11-14 11:23 AM

... turn, turn, turn ...

Sorry, you being the AncientHippie and all, I just couldn't resist!

Anyways, I thought your poem was very sentimental and I really enjoyed reading it.

God bless,

-Bob

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
6 posted 2009-11-14 11:39 AM

A myriad of sayings streamed through my mind as I read your contemplative thoughts.

To paraphrase a couple ~

~ Parting is sweet sorrow.
~ All good things must come to an end.

Ancient Cool One, you are a fine writer with a fine mind.

Like Margherita, I also hope that this is not a swan song to your fellow pipsters.

EA

AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
7 posted 2009-11-15 02:34 PM

Dear Margherita:  This piece was certainly not a swan song...this AncientHippie is much too young for that!  Had to take some time off creating and sharing to ready my home "Greyhavens" for the approaching winter.
And, yes, being in the Flow is, for me, the only time to be.

Poet Al:  Thank you very much for your kind comments.

Kosmic:  Good suggestions.  Upon thinking it over, it seems to me that the original intention of (general view) followed by (specific examples) ending with (the Hook summary) would disrupt my envisioned aesthetic.

LH Bob:  The Byrds were one of my favourite bands back in the day, and, although I am neither Christian nor Jewish, the sentiments of Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8 are both good Truth, and fine poetry.  Thank you for your kind words.

Earth Angel:  So glad you have found my thoughts contemplative:  I could strive for no more.  Thanks so much.

Namaste All
Jim

"We are stardust:  we are golden:  and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."  --Joni Mitchell "Woodstock"

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » A Time To Say Goodbye

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary