navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » sappo is poetry
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic sappo is poetry Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
dickpoetry
since 2009-09-30
Posts 89

0 posted 2009-10-08 11:00 PM

SAPPO IS POETRY

SAPPO
he thinks i'm the muse of his poems.  he thinks i'm not even a woman.  but some
kind of goddess he's conjured in his crazy mind.  sometimes, when it's really bad,
and we're alone somewhere, he calls me poetry.  really.  poetry.  he says, poetry,
i love you.  poetry, i'm gonna take you everywhere when i get the money.  poetry,
we're gonna live in italy.  poetry, we're going to africa.  poetry this, poetry that.
and i let him go on.  because, really, it's what he has.  poetry.  me? i know the truth
about me.  if he wakes up one day and sees me the way i really am, hell i'm gone.
if he stops thinking i'm poetry, i'm off somewhere.
     last week he was in jail again.  they said all he did was call for me.  every day,e very night, sappo, sappo, sappo.  they say he was crazy. wouldn't eat.  wouldn't
talk.  they were gonna put him in the loony bin, but he talked them out of it.  he said, look, sappo, she's my woman.  she's my wife.  she's my mother, my sister,
my daughter.  she's the world to me.  and i'm in here and i don't know where she is.
she could be sick. she could be freezing. she could be in some other cell or in the hospital.  and he went on like this to some guard who had some heart.  pete was his name.  christ, bagoni, has just about made a saint out of this prison guard pete.
turns out pete is a decent guy.  trying to make living. has a wife and a daughter at home.  a young guy, pete. took it really easy on my man while he was locked up.
protected him the best he could, you know.  kept the crazy guys away from him.
and bagoni told me he filled pete's ear with poetry.  stuff about homer, stuff about
those other greek guys and stuff about shakespeare, about keats, about shelley.
even told pete shelley's maternal grandfather lived in newark a while.  that really
got pete.  he couldn't believe it.  made bagoni promise to show him some proof when he gets out.  and that's where bagoni is now, in the library, looking up stuff on
percy shelley for a prison guard named pete who treated him decent in jail.

###

dickpoetry

© Copyright 2009 dickpoetry - All Rights Reserved
GBride
since 2009-07-02
Posts 538

1 posted 2009-10-12 07:53 PM

A honey of a write. I wish I'd tought of it.
keep on writing!!!

GBride
since 2009-07-02
Posts 538

2 posted 2009-10-15 07:25 PM

This is a great poem and I don't think it got enough comments.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » sappo is poetry

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary