navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » 5.4
Open Poetry #43
Post A Reply Post New Topic 5.4 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California

0 posted 2008-07-30 01:38 AM

earth shaking...
literally.
It rattled the windows
and shook the floors,
set light fixtures swinging
and the telephone ringing.
Sent people out into the street
on this, the calmest day of my week.
I thought about getting under the desk.
but that would probably
do me more harm than the quake
So, I remained in my chair
and just watched it shake.

Ida Werrett

© Copyright 2008 Ida Werrett - All Rights Reserved
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
1 posted 2008-07-30 01:49 AM

Ida, if this is your calmest day of the week, you must have nerves of steel!  I'm glad you are safe.  You expressed yourself so well in 5.4!  I'd give this a 10!  

hugs,
         misc~

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
2 posted 2008-07-30 01:58 AM

Oh man, I know what you mean with this one, Ida.  I love it.  It took my cat weeks to come back to my bedroom after the last quake.  He would come to the door and peer in ... looking for monsters, I think.  

You are a calm one, my friend.

xoxoxo
A

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
3 posted 2008-07-30 02:10 AM

Well, I've had a very bad flu for over a week and the day before I got it my plumbing backed up and for the past week my house has been completely destroyed while the plumbers had to break through the concrete in the bath room floor and replace all of the pipes and a few other things. After all that the earthquake barely fazed me. I was just thinking about the plumbing, hoping it was okay. Thinking how I couldn't go through that again. And yes Alison, my cats scattered in every direction. Just a typical August (my favorite month)
Well. I feel much better after whining for a while. Thanks.
                                     Ida

Prasad Nataraj
since 2008-05-29
Posts 1149
Bangalore,India
4 posted 2008-07-30 03:12 AM

Hi Ida, you’re the brave one, to remain in your chair during the earthquake. I read in my geographical books that California is known for frequent earthquakes, now I read a poem about it. Hope things are better. Prasad

"Hardwork pays in the long run"

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
5 posted 2008-07-30 03:21 AM

Ida~
It is GREAT to know you survived the quake sitting up !!

My sister and her family live out your way and they tell me that they are so used to the shaky-quakies that they hardly notice them anymore~
Of course my sisters two Pugs head for cover anywhere they can find it~

I pray that you continue to be safe~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -               noles1@totcon.com

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
6 posted 2008-07-30 03:27 AM

Ida,

WHAT A WEEK you must have had!  First, I hope you feel better!  Good luck with the plumbing and restoration!  My thoughts and prayers will go with you, as I end the evening's getaway (or should I say, morning's).

Good day to you and may they be better!

`misc~

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
7 posted 2008-07-30 12:34 PM

Oh, my goodness Ida!  What a week, BUT AN EARTHQUAKE!  I am 62½ and I have never experienced an earthquake or any major geographical disaster.  And your poor kitty darling.  I have always been very afraid for large animals like horses and cows in earthquake/tornado/such-like areas (I would have freaked if Flicka had to have experienced anything like that!), but of course, now I realise that small animals must be terrified too, as I saw from your response and others.  The poor little loves.  My heart goes out to you and your kitty and all people and animals who have ever experienced anything of that nature.

I see from Alison's response that even Alaska has earthquakes - along with the very harsh winter conditions.  The longer I live, the more I realise how blessed I am to live exactly where I do live, in my beautiful sunny South Africa.

- Owl

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
8 posted 2008-07-30 01:36 PM

Actually, So. California is not a bad place to live for the most part, Diana. The weather is great most of the time and we have access to the mountains, the beach, the dessert. So many things to do. But I guess no place is perfect and we do have those pesky earthquakes. I'm 64 and I've road out a few of them. At least 3, that I can think of, were much worse than this one.

Thanks to all of you for letting me vent and your very kind concern.
                                Ida

Ericc
Member Elite
since 2003-01-31
Posts 4178

9 posted 2008-07-30 02:39 PM

Glad you're ok...and I'm always amazed where and when inspiration is delivered.
Great write!

Eric

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
10 posted 2008-07-30 07:34 PM

You kept me short-breathed with this one, dear Ida. Good to know everybody is fine. It's a terribly frightening feeling!

The one that impressed me most here in Rome happened when I was in bed reading the bible at the voice "Apocalypse" ... I thought "oh nooooooo, I read of the end of the world and it is happening NOW!!" I never made a further attempt to read that passage, in case .... The hair raising noise!!! Just as you describe it. We are so fragile.

Love and hugs, dear brave Poetess.
Margherita

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
11 posted 2008-07-30 07:40 PM

Ida,

I hadn't noted before your location in my home state. For that, I'm sorry.

But I'm glad you didn't have the wit shaken out of you!

In Santa Maria, we experienced, oh, probably three quakes in my growing up period; in Modesto, in the 1980's, we were there when the 1988 quake hit in the San Francisco area.

You remember, I'm sure, when the bay area marina was burning? It was pretty serious back then...

Candlestick Park took a good hit. I cannot recall how many deaths there were; it wasn't an easy time.

I'm glad you're all right!

Gaelynsgirl
since 2008-07-18
Posts 175
Ont. Canada
12 posted 2008-07-30 08:00 PM

Ida... how do you do it... and still write poetry!!! Hope you are feeling better and that the tectonic plates don't give your pipes any more grief.
I've seen tooooo many movies!!!!

drink lots of green tea!

Lynda

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
13 posted 2008-07-30 10:16 PM

That must of been very scary!-- I hope everyone there is all safe 'n Sound...
Nice write Ida

ARCTIC WIND

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
14 posted 2008-07-30 10:56 PM

Oh, my goodness!  I didn't think of sound until Margherita mentioned it.  What does it resemble?  

- Owl

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
15 posted 2008-07-30 11:22 PM

Yo Ida,

Get out of there now.  Don't forget to fly over the Matamoras Fault on the way East.

One of my daughters lives in the San Francisco area, and another one in Japan.  They are earthquake experts.

It’s only a matter of time.

Bobby

Love Bobby

secondhanddreampoet
Member Ascendant
since 2006-11-07
Posts 6394
a 'Universalist' !
16 posted 2008-08-02 04:09 PM

good one!!

Earthquakes are just Gaia awakening and stretching
once and awhile from her "Deep-Time" slumber!

applause for this 'penning'!

Oklahoma Rose
since 2008-02-28
Posts 1586
Oklahoma USA
17 posted 2008-11-10 09:29 PM

I know what to do with a tornado, but not those earth quakes.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » 5.4

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary