navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » Thoughts on 5 November 2008
Open Poetry #43
Post A Reply Post New Topic Thoughts on 5 November 2008 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Bridget Shenachie
since 2002-01-23
Posts 1056
Kansas USA

0 posted 2008-11-07 04:16 AM

5 November 2008

People of color are standing a little taller today.
I see them in the streets.
They have endured.
I see the healing and the birth of hope in their eyes.
America has acknowledged that all men are equal.
Their joy is beautiful to see.
Overnight, the world has changed.

May the healing continue in our country.
May people learn to disagree with civility,
Without the hate mongering.
May our country be restored to peace, prosperity and good health.
May our land be cherished and preserved.
May our men of science develop the technologies
to improve the standard of living for all
Without depleting the earth.
May the future remain hopeful

One day, we will see a capable woman in the White House.

© Copyright 2008 Louise Ryan - All Rights Reserved
Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
1 posted 2008-11-07 05:36 AM

Louise, I couldn't agree more! I was utterly moved by the hope I saw in the eyes of youngsters, knowing - hoping - there is a future and willing to put energy in it.

A day I will remember for the rest of my life, even though I am not American.

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
2 posted 2008-11-07 08:38 AM

Bridget - a new dawn perhaps, but time will tell...

BC

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
3 posted 2008-11-07 08:43 AM

Beautiful reflections and I agree too. Still there is a long way to go, but this date has truly initiated a new awareness of the divine truth that we are all equal and one.

There will be a woman too in the future I do not doubt either.

May the enthusiasm for this change convey the energy needed to realize what needs to be done.

Enjoyed your work.

Love,
Margherita

"Love is the One who masters all things;
I am mastered totally by Love."
(Rumi)

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2008-11-07 08:58 AM

You know I'm smiling with you, right?

I'll see you Tuesday night!

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 posted 2008-11-07 09:57 AM

Yo dear Bridget Shenachie,

There you go Hon.  I agree with you 100%.

My oldest daughter's named Bridget.

Love Bobby

secondhanddreampoet
Member Ascendant
since 2006-11-07
Posts 6394
a 'Universalist' !
6 posted 2008-11-07 03:57 PM

Amen!! ... to the grand-fine sentiments expressed in this timely and effectively emotive 'penning'!

I hope my ancestor John and my son John would both be proud of the current potential for true and full 'democracy' in America [it has, sadly, been a far too long time in coming]!

v. serious and long-sustained applause for this 'write'!

---b. e. adams

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
7 posted 2008-11-07 04:04 PM

Of course we will see a capable woman in the White House. Even the White house needs maids!

(Oh, man, am I gonna get it now!!! )

Your poem is wonderful, miss. Yes, there is a pride in the African-American community and rightfully so. America has made a great stride forward in disregarding race as a factor in determining our next leader. Some of the other things they disregarded may present problems but we should all give Obama the chance and our support.

Best to you

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
8 posted 2008-11-07 05:59 PM

Nice thoughts...Every new President deserves at least 100 days of observance to get the ball rolling...so come January I will definately support him if he does a good job, but if he screws up I'll give him hell just like I gave Bush...hoping for good things concerning the economy and a settling of the wars...James
Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
9 posted 2008-11-07 07:57 PM

Enjoyed your thoughts!

ARCTIC WIND

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
10 posted 2008-11-08 12:38 PM

Amen to your poem, Bridget/Louise.  

Besides the evolution in politics and humanity, I believe that Barack Obama is the man for the job.  His campaign has proved that he complements his talents with those of others around him with the expertise and experience that he doesn't have.  

I also believe that he truly wants the best for the country and for everyone in the country and that he is as ethical as he seems to be and that he will get things done and always be truthful.  

I also sadly believe that it will be a long time before one won't notice the colour or gender of whoever becomes president.  

- Owl

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
11 posted 2008-11-08 09:44 AM

Dear Bridget,
So true, so true. I saw a doctor dear friend of mine last night who is black. He is a kind humble man but he was full of pride and happiness and could not contain himself! It was awesome.

Do I hear anyone nominating Balladeer to be a maid at the Whitehouse? Okay then, I will. I officially nominate Balladeer for maid duty at the Whitehouse in a traditional maids outfit!

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Bridget Shenachie
since 2002-01-23
Posts 1056
Kansas USA
12 posted 2008-11-08 05:03 PM

Munda--It was so delightful to hear from you.  Think of you so often and I'm glad that you shared my feelings for the day.

Bill Charles--Yes, time will tell and I hope for all of our sakes that we see more improvement with our country's difficulties.
Thanks for reading and commenting.

Margherita--Thank you for your thoughtful comment.  We all have work ahead and I pray for the strength to do it.  Bless you for your understanding.

Bobby--Thank you for your comment.  My Irish grandfather called me Bridget and I always wished that it was my given name.  Your daughter is lucky.

secondhanddreampoet--thank you for your concurrence and applause.  I do appreciate your comment.

'Deer you old dog--lucky for you that I have been reading up on civility.  Larry C took care of you (see above).  So what is your forte--dusting, cleaning, laundry, polishing silver, serving dinner or serving drinks in a short, short skirt or maybe hot pants.
Enjoyed your comments and I do hope that Obama is equal to the task...it is a staggering situation.

JamesMichael--I, too, hope that Obama meets your hopes for the country.  Thank you for responding.

Artic Wind--Thank you for reading and commenting.

OwlSA--I was interested in your comments and I share your hopes for our government.

Larry C--Thanks for checking in 'cause I'm always looking for you in these pages.  I am so glad that the day has come for hardworking African Americans.  And one day may we all be just Americans.
Thanks for putting 'Deer in the White House.  I'm sure that he will fit in...traditional guy that he is.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » Thoughts on 5 November 2008

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary