navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Eternal Damnation
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic Eternal Damnation Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California

0 posted 2008-07-08 04:12 AM

My mother and her church friends
are sitting around the kitchen table.
They're discussing religion.
I have been banished.
I am not supposeed to be listening
...but I am.

They're talking about sinners,
those who are damned
and will be cast into a lake of fire
for all of eternity.

But that's not what the preacher said
last Sunday.
He said, "God loves you."
and "Have no fear."
Even my child's mind knows,
something is not quite right here.

Ida Werrett

[This message has been edited by Marchmadness (07-08-2008 05:29 AM).]

© Copyright 2008 Ida Werrett - All Rights Reserved
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
1 posted 2008-07-08 05:07 AM

Dear Ida, you touch upon such an important issue! Thank you for this piece of reality. Children know instinctively the higher truth of a loving God. Religions can represent a slivery ground, where fearful hearts can become victims of other people's opinions and lose the deep true joy of this precious life. God bless that priest! There are not so many of this kind.
It is my belief, that indeed we all should relax in the awareness that God is Love and He doesn't point His fingers, but He wraps His arms around us.

Love and light.
Margherita

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
2 posted 2008-07-08 05:43 AM

I am happy to say that I never did become a "victim" of anyone else's opinions, probably beacause I paid close attention to the contradictions. The preacher was not a priest. My mother had a tendency to become involved with one religion after another.
I don't remember what that one was, they all kind of ran together in my mind.
                                    Ida

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
3 posted 2008-07-08 06:03 AM

We are all seekers of the truth, but what we really look for is LOVE, we all desire to be loved and cherished and share our own heart. What we seek is unconditional love, yet religions usually tell us that we are not loved if we behave in a certain way, if we "sin". Do we love our children less if they ill behave? I don't think so ... and God (Who goes by many names ...) will never ban any child of His into eternal damnation!

I do love the following quote by Albert Einstein: "True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness, all one's honesty".

Again, thank you, dear Ida!

XGarapanX
since 2008-06-19
Posts 1435
Antarctica
4 posted 2008-07-09 05:02 PM

You make an interesting point. The balance between conviction and condemnation must be observed.

·´~`·­»Garapan«­·´~`·

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Eternal Damnation

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary