navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Ursula Andress
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic Ursula Andress Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea

0 posted 2008-07-06 12:03 PM

Je peux bien remercier Dieu
d’avoir connu Ursula Andress
de faire partie d’une génération
qui fut victime de ses charmes.

Elle était si belle et sexy
que si elle avait été une science
plus personne n’aurait appris
les maths ou la philosophie.

qu’en la regardant dans les yeux
je fus mieux inspiré
que par l’art poétique de Boileau.

Je peux bien remercier Dieu
d’avoir connu Ursula Andress,
Je peux bien remercier Ursula Andress
de me faire penser à dieu.

I can indeed thank God
for having known Ursula Andress
for being a part of a generation
which was a victim of her charms.

She was so beautiful and sexy
that if she had been a science
Nobody would have studied
Mathematics or Philosophy any more.

that by looking at her in eyes
I was better inspired
than by the poetry of Whitman.

I can indeed thank God
for having known Ursula Andress
I can also thank Ursula Andress
for making me think of God.

[This message has been edited by 2islander2 (07-08-2008 04:26 AM).]

© Copyright 2008 yann rolland - All Rights Reserved
2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
1 posted 2008-07-06 12:10 PM

Please poets, don't mock me cause I wrote this poem, be kind...

yann

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
2 posted 2008-07-06 12:18 PM

This is very lovely, dear Yann! J'aime bien cette actrisse suisse! Je l'ai connue aussi, mais seulement au supermarché   et au cinéma naturellement.

Oui elle avait beaucoup de charme!

Enjoyed your tribute much.

Love,
Margherita

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 posted 2008-07-06 12:22 PM

Yo Yann,

YES!

Bobby

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
4 posted 2008-07-06 12:24 PM

We all do have our favorite stars, there is nothing strange about this, dear Yann. And a little teasing won't hurt anyway!
I always admired her when I met her in the supermarket when she lived in Rome in my area. She always came alone with a note where she had written everything she needed. The true well organized Swiss woman (I wonder why I can't be a true well organized Swiss woman too!!) She bought an incredible quantity of things every time, but managed to do everything alone. She hid behind dark sunglasses, no make up and still she was a beauty.

Love,
Margherita

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
5 posted 2008-07-06 12:26 PM

Thank you Margherita, it's simply a fantasy, I as you only know her from the cinema...I envy you you were more lucky than me for meeting her in a supermarket...

Thank you dear Margherita for your kind comment.

hugs

yann

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
6 posted 2008-07-06 12:27 PM

Yo Bobby, thanks

yann

soul drifter
since 2004-09-08
Posts 711
Colorado
7 posted 2008-07-06 01:04 PM

oh, awesome! I love Ursula Andress! Great poem, trust me. Good flow to it.
It reminds me of a girl I met once while walking home some months ago, she looked a heckuva lot like Ursula and had a sexy accent I couldn't place. Your poem put her back on to the front page of my mind.

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
8 posted 2008-07-06 02:18 PM

Sounds like your first boyhood, moviestar crush to me, yann and so sweet. She was a very beautiful woman.
                                Ida

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
9 posted 2008-07-06 04:18 PM

Enjoyed...she caught some eyes and captured some hearts...James
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
10 posted 2008-07-06 05:35 PM

Lovely, Yann.  I can't imagine why you would think anyone would mock you for this.  Besides, we are all your friends, and friends don't mock each other.

- Owl

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
11 posted 2008-07-07 02:34 AM

thank you soul drifter,she is not alone, there are 3 billions beautiful girls on the earth...Thanks for your kind comment.

yann

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
12 posted 2008-07-07 02:37 AM

Thank you Ida, yes is was a moviestar crush when I was young,I admired too the italian actresses Claudia Cardinale, Monica Vitti you pointed it right.
Thank you for your kind comment.
       yann

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
13 posted 2008-07-07 02:40 AM

Yes James she surely did, thank you for passing by.

yann

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
14 posted 2008-07-07 02:42 AM

Thank You Owl, I only thought this poem could be considered naive, but in fact all sentiments are beautiful and should be proclaimed...

have a nice day

yann

[This message has been edited by 2islander2 (07-07-2008 06:03 AM).]

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

15 posted 2008-07-08 03:31 AM

Thank you for two lovely poems here, Yann.

You bring up questions of translation that are beyond my capacity every time I see your work, so I am especially grateful for the chance to think that you offer so graciously.

I have always thought of Boileau as more of a classical poet, a poet of alexandrines, though it has been a long time since I've even tried to read him.  I think of him as being the equivalent of  a more boring John Dryden, though my understanding of French Literature is poor.  The equivalent of Whitman is almost impossible to find in French—Rimbaud without the perversity?  Apollinaire?
Perhaps I've completely mistaken Boileau?

The constructions in the  French poem have been frequently taken over entirely into your English text.  Sometimes this works well, sometimes the constructions don't quite work as well in English as they do in French.

que si elle avait été une science
plus personne n’aurait appris
les maths ou la philosophie.

For example the stanza above is, to my limited French,
pretty darn good.

The translation into English is pretty much literal, however, and gives us constructions that are slightly awkward to the English ear.

that if she had been a science
nobody would have learnt anymore
the mathematics or the philosophy.

"Nobody would have learnt anymore" has a vanishingly small probability of actually being used in conversational English.  Perhaps "Nobody would have studied" might have been used, but "the mathematics or the philosophy" is a literal translation of the French and is not English usage.  
More likely still, perhaps,

Nobody would have studied
Mathematics or Philosophy any more.

Even this, while it has accuracy, completely lacks poetry.  This is a flaw in my translation, of course.  

In English we study Science, Mathematics, Philosophy, Linguistics and so on.  For some odd reason, we make an exception and study "The Calculus."  I think the same person decided on that one as the guy who decided on the regularities of English spelling.

Keep writing and translating, Yann.  These were fun.  The playfulness was thrilling.
Best wishes, BobK.  

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
16 posted 2008-07-08 04:38 AM

Dear Bob, you made it so well, How grateful I am, you're right to consider my mistakes and I'm very glad you did...I have studied english at school 40 years ago during 7 years and then stopped...I have always enjoyed english as a matter of school and a beautiful language...Then 21 years ago I learnt again english by myself reading Time magazine and National Geographic...I'm really in love with this language and really want it to be fun..So thank you for the one of the most interesting comments I have read...

About Whitman and Boileau there is no link at all except to impress the french reader (l'art poétique de Boileau) and the american reader (leaves of grass)...It was as simple as that, no correlation at all....

Thanks again for your captivating comment...

have a nice day

yann

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

17 posted 2008-07-09 01:24 AM

Dear Yann,

Thanks for your kind note.  In looking over your poems, I'm struck once again by how much you might enjoy the longish poem by Kenneth Koch, "The Art of Poetry."  I think he decided to have fun with some of the more didactic Latin models.  His version is very wise and very very funny, and has a touch of the whimsical that you would probably find very tasty indeed.  His long free verse line is managed with an offhanded mastery that's impressive to behold.  I learn new things every time I re-read it.  If you can find it, you might find some delight in it as well.

A spare thought.  Bob K.

XGarapanX
since 2008-06-19
Posts 1435
Antarctica
18 posted 2008-07-09 05:05 PM

Ursula Andress is a "Bond" girl, I think. Nothing silly about liking them!

·´~`·­»Garapan«­·´~`·

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Ursula Andress

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary