navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » No Years Now
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic No Years Now Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2008-06-20 03:17 AM

NO YEARS NOW
1 November 2006

From more than twenty
years with you, to none, is like
draining the universe.

- Owl

© Copyright 2008 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
1 posted 2008-06-20 03:21 AM

Oh, Diana.  This is about your horse, isn't it?  I had a dog .. Tasha Jolene Marie Margo Mariah Pushky Puddin'Face (she was a big dog and needed a big name - smiles).  I miss her so much.

My thoughts are with you.

xoxoxo
Alison

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
2 posted 2008-06-20 07:19 AM

But you do still interact in love beyond space and time ...
I understand!

Love,
Margherita

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
3 posted 2008-06-20 08:16 AM

Yes, Alison, this is about my darling Flicka.  

I am sure you will be happy to hear that I know that Flicka will have met up with Tasha Jolene Marie Margo Mariah Pushky Puddin'Face.  

I firmly believe that every time a new animal arrives in Heaven (and I believe that all animals go to Heaven), Flicka is called, the moment they arrive, and that he shows them all over Heaven and introduces them to all animals and humans, and makes sure that they feel at home and happy.  Of course, he will also be their new friend for eternity.    

- Owl

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
4 posted 2008-06-20 08:21 AM

Alison, I was so taken up with your darling big dog with her big name, that I forgot to say thank you for your wonderful message and support.

Margherita, thank you for understanding so well.  I would be even more lost if I couldn't communicate with Flicka every day.  The poetry I wrote to him when he was alive is in my collection called Flicka under the sub-section, His Living Years.  What I wrote to him after he went to Heaven, is under the sub-section, Conversations Beyond the Grave.

- Owl

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
5 posted 2008-06-22 05:03 PM

"Like draining the universe." expresses loss so well, Diana
                              Ida

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
6 posted 2008-06-22 05:12 PM

Thank you Ida, I didn't understand that until Flicka went to Heaven.  I saw in your response to Margherita's poem, Anniversary, that you were married for 42 years when your husband passed away in 2004.  That must have been very hard for you, and still be so.  I think most people don't realise that the loss is forever.  They think that you are over it, at least a few years down the line.

- Owl

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2008-06-22 05:45 PM

You are really really making me think I have to re-think my fear of horses.

Just a bad memory. *wince* I had a little bitty friend who was in charge of some Lusitanos--or so she thought..

I consider it a beautiful respectful distance that I keep now, but your love for Flicka is mesmerizing.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
8 posted 2008-06-22 06:32 PM

Thanks, Karen.  Flicka was mesmerising, and it wasn't only I who said so.  I think I have said this elsewhere in PIP but I used to promise people a million rand (South African currency and I didn't have 100 rand to spare, let alone a million) if they could get him to bite or kick him.  He refused on principle to bite or kick anyone.  If a stranger had tried to jam his/her hand roughly into his mouth (nobody ever tried) Flicka would have opened his mouth wide and moved it away, so as not to hurt the person concerned.  He would also not have understood why anyone would have tried to hurt him like that, and I would have stopped them, not to protect the person as that wouldn't have been necessary, but to protect Flicka's feelings.  Not all horses have had such a protected and loved life, though, Karen.  Any supposed meanness in a horse is caused by bad treatment from a person somewhere along the line.  However, you just need to understand a horse, and get the horse to understand you and talk to him/her nicely and you should be able to get along with most horses easily from the ground.  Riding them is another story, and you need to be guided by somebody who knows the particular horse as to which would be suitable for a beginner and somebody who is afraid of horses to ride.  Then you need to be taught how to ride.  Riding is based on a two-way communication between horse and rider speaking the same "language".  

- Owl

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2008-06-22 06:57 PM

Oh Diana, I hope you know I meant no disrespect--quite the opposite. (I just witnessed a bad situation--she was trying to corral them as a thunderstorm moved in and they were frightend--and blush--so was I)

I've no doubt Flicka would have been a better first experience for me.

Forgive a city girl?

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
10 posted 2008-06-22 07:30 PM

Oh, OF COURSE I know you didn't mean any disrespect!  There is nothing to forgive you for!!!  But thank you for being worried about what I was thinking.  It is difficult communicating online because we don't see each other's faces and body language.  I am sorry for any misunderstanding that I may have caused with my reply.  (Where do you get smilies from in Pip?  You use them, but I don't know where to find them via PIP.)  

You don't need to blush about being afraid.  It is completely understandable - and quite frankly wise - as you wouldn't have known where to stand to get out of their way.  It isn't advisable to stand behind (or to the side too near a horse's back legs) any horse (except Flicka) as you could be kicked.  Some horses bite (but not Flicka) so you would have needed to watch where you stood so that you didn't get bitten in those circumstances where the horses were frightened.

I, too would have been frightened, but for different reasons - I would have had my heart in my mouth that any of them would have got hurt in the process - like a horse getting crammed into the corral fence or gate by other frightened horses as they rushed in.  Horses are very highly strung animals - it is part of their defence mechanism to be highly strung so that they can get away from danger, rather than attack, so they need to be very aware of what could harm them.  

Yes, Flicka would have been a wonderful first experience for you - always from the ground, but to ride, as long as he was well exercised the day before and wasn't fresh.  When he was fresh, he enjoyed bucking, but in fun and not with the intent to get his rider off, although sometimes that happened!  He had two kinds of bucks - one was a nice comfortable one, reasonably easy to sit, but then he had a screw buck when he was really fresh which was a buck with a twist, like a rodeo buck, and it wasn't easy to stay on for those!

- Owl

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2008-06-22 07:53 PM

Hey lady...

at the bottom? There is a dark blue box that says "Quick View".

But I think with your lovely disposition, all you need to know it that a smile is a colon and a right parenthesis--

and for a hug?

colonesqueezecolon

which sounds AWFUL, but is actually quite sweet!

see? <--that one is colondevilcolon

*shuddering*

and last but not least?

colonsupergrincolon

Love you!

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
12 posted 2008-06-22 08:03 PM

I had a different thought as to whom you had lost.  I had a little over twenty years before my universe was emptied.  Very nice.  Joyce
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
13 posted 2008-06-22 08:26 PM

Oops!   and again !  There it is S-M-I-L-I-E-S!  Thank you, Karen!  

Thank you Joyce.  I am so sorry that your universe was emptied too.  I remember reading in your poems and responses, that your husband and many of your family had passed and that you are the last survivor.  That must be very hard.  Hugs.

- Owl

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
14 posted 2008-06-22 08:29 PM

I forgot - I meant to do the colon-squeezing thing!

to Karen and Joyce

- Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » No Years Now

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary