navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Out of touch poetry
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic Out of touch poetry Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
DarkenedOrange
since 2008-04-21
Posts 13

0 posted 2008-05-02 06:51 PM

I am almost ashamed to speak of this, but still I must say that there is hardly a person present who would not have talked better about their poetry than they did themselves. That showed me in an instant that not by wisdom do poets write poetry, but by a sort of genius and inspiration; they are like diviners or soothsayers who also say many fine things, but do not understand the meaning of them. I further observed that upon the strength of their poetry they believed themselves to be the wisest of men in other things in which they were not wise. So I departed, conceiving myself to be superior to them. (Words of Socrates found in the "Apology" of Plato)

Sing poet!
Sing your song that no one understands.
Tell us the tale of some Greek hero
(It’s all Greek to me)
Producing your potboilers
(Yeah, look it up)
You paint your fantasy world with words no one understands
If the common man cannot understand it
Then what is the point?
Shelly, Shakespeare and Donne
Byron, Thoreau and Prufrock
They all stand a loaded gun
The power to kill
Without the power to die
But they do die
A death that is not proud
For modernity ruins their sport
It used to be that the man in a suit told me what a good poem was
Now, he wears jeans
Either way it takes me a hour to read one paragraph
With dictionary and mythology books at my side
They establish the rules
Infecting me with their folly
To judge eternally based upon the word of another
Who lives in the dark ages now?

© Copyright 2008 Max Bardus - All Rights Reserved
David2
since 2000-03-22
Posts 407

1 posted 2008-05-02 08:37 PM

This is very thought provoking. I must agree that if no communication has occurred then really, what was the point? Having said this I must admit to loving the Sonnet form, which I write in almost exclusively. It gives my creativity what little life it may have.However, there are many Shakespearean works that are very difficult to understandwithout extensive preparation. Your work was clear, precise and enjoyable. Thank you,
                 David

shyvl
since 2008-04-11
Posts 531
texas, usa
2 posted 2008-05-03 05:12 AM

Excellent points you make.  I believe every time, everyone has their own poetry that speak  s to their heart.  Some of the classics do that for me maybe they don't for you. Just keep reading
sharyn

Joe Crow
since 2007-12-18
Posts 66
Indiana
3 posted 2008-05-03 07:36 PM

Socrates/Plato was making his point in the context of his search to prove the Oracle wrong in stating that he was the wisest man of all. That's why he questioned the poets among others to prove the Oracle wrong as he knew that he didn't 'know' concerning the things that concerned dear Socrates. The point he was making in the quoted text/and in other places unquoted is that poets indeed do not know and in fact can't even tell you what deeper knowledge their words contain if in fact they do contain any. That doesn't make them wrong or weaken their message and if you supposed they were to answer questions for you maybe you should have consulted the Oracle first. Just a thought...

Peace,

Joe Crow

DarkenedOrange
since 2008-04-21
Posts 13

4 posted 2008-05-04 02:48 PM

The poem is meant to be Socratic in nature ... Some poetry is out of touch with the common man and his common experience of the world. Socrates knows he is the wisest because he is aware of his own ignorance. Socrates finds out that their greatness is really just a facade. Similarly, we consider poems "great" because people tell us what "great" poetry should look like.

The common man cannot read some of the "great" poetry because they dont speak their language.
http://darkenedorange.blogspot.com/

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Out of touch poetry

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary