navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #8 » Legacy of Faith
Teen Poetry #8
Post A Reply Post New Topic Legacy of Faith Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
RenaissanceRomanceRunsRed
since 2007-06-11
Posts 1062
In Love <3

0 posted 2007-07-22 03:52 PM

before you read this, you should know, this is my legacy, my ancestry, or at least my interpretation of what it was like. in here is the story of
my family and their legacy of faith.

Legacy of Faith

Through the mud, dust, and track
I pull my wagon with wheels that crack
Carrying all that I’ve ever owned
With oxen that smell, a welcome loan

Myself in petty coats, my husband is gone
Off to the battalion, 500 strong
Watching for the valley where we will rest
Somewhere far away in the west

My children are hungry all the day long
And the littlest is crying to me “Mom!”
Shoes that last for a time too short
And miles of terrain that we pick through and sort

Mountains and hills that challenge our faith
And the ground that is cuttingly harsh underneath
I have nothing of great value to my name
But yet for that, I have no shame

Moving on in the winter, pushed out, too-da-loo
Warrants to kill us in Missouri too
They hate all of us, they want even children dead
But nevertheless I feel safe in my cold bed

The battalions come home, and my husband alive
Now on the salted valley, our numbers thrive
We reach there after many moons and days
Finally here and ready is the Mormon blaze

"I thought I'd just mention in passing . . . I always wanted a Sparkly of my very own." -Jeremy The Crow

© Copyright 2007 RenaissanceRomanceRunsRed - All Rights Reserved
surf_painter
since 2007-04-10
Posts 434
Canada
1 posted 2007-07-22 08:30 PM

i liked it alot it capture alot of imagery and you could paint the picture and scene in your mind
nice job

BrittanyJ
since 2007-06-03
Posts 461
Come find me?
2 posted 2007-07-22 11:37 PM

hmmm...i loved how well it flowed and the rhyming was awesome Can't wait for your next one red!! Keep them coming.

So no more hiding all your pain, you deserve a new start. That's why i'm closing myself away, this is a message from your heart.

since 2007-06-11
Posts 1062
In Love <3
3 posted 2007-07-23 09:29 AM

thanks i wrote this in honor of pioneer day, or at least when my ward celebrated it. it was sometime this month.

-Red

"I thought I'd just mention in passing . . . I always wanted a Sparkly of my very own." -Jeremy The Crow

rhia_5779
since 2006-06-09
Posts 1334
California
4 posted 2007-07-23 03:45 PM

What was that about the battalion 500 strong? i really liked it, the imagery was very vibrant in my mind I could picture it really well.  It was a could tribute to the pioneer days, I like the title to. Thats really neat how strong their faith must have been to go through all of that.
hunnie_girl
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-06-18
Posts 2567
Canada
5 posted 2007-07-23 07:15 PM

you are mormon????? ohh that is so cool. My ward celebrated that too but it was a long time ago. I loved this Red the rhyme the words everything

~fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me~

since 2007-06-11
Posts 1062
In Love <3
6 posted 2007-07-23 07:50 PM

hunnie, your mormon!?! wow. and here i was thinking i was the only one. dang. yeah, our activity planners got it on a later date on account of vacations and delays.

-Red

ps battalion- there was a mormon battalion that the government asked for for a war with mexico, which is kinda ironic b/c they had sent out an extermination order in missouri, and maybe another state. but i'm not sure of that. but yea, they left to go fight in mexico while they were in the west traviling to utah. some (though i think the number was pretty sparce) died, some stayed in callifornia and navada (ie las vegas was a mormon settlement before it was overrun by others) but many of them returned to their families on the trail. lots of people died, the old the sick and the healty and the young. they left in the middle of winter and everything was bitter and harsh.

hunnie_girl
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-06-18
Posts 2567
Canada
7 posted 2007-07-24 04:00 PM

Woah tis is soo weird But nevertheless Cool.
hunnie.

~fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me~

since 2007-06-11
Posts 1062
In Love <3
8 posted 2007-07-24 08:43 PM

nevertheless is such a mormon wordthe only people i've heard use it besides mormons is english and very well read history teachers. nevertheless, i should have guessed it of you- you used several words like that before.

-Red

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #8 » Legacy of Faith

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary