navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Fight!
Open Poetry #44
Post A Reply Post New Topic Fight! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lady Ayla
since 2008-07-19
Posts 84
WV, United States

0 posted 2009-04-09 03:43 PM

Okay, so I don't know where I was going with this poem, but I think you might laugh a little bit at the end. It's not really good, but still.

Fight!
I was once told to fight for what I believe in, to rise above the crowd and make myself heard.
Fighting is what we do best, isn’t it? Parting the ropes and stepping into a make-shift ring, fists bared, body rocking on our heels. Ready to fight for what we believe in. I believes in love. I believe in fear. I believe in the written word. I believe in myself, and the ones around me.

Some people take the saying farther, actually stepping up and throwing their fists back, screaming and hollering. Fighting for some small thing, or the biggest thing in the world. It’s hard to tell sometimes.

Do we stop fights if we see them? Do we rush to the front of the crowd and pull the two people apart, saying that violence never solved anything, when in fact, it solved a lot of problems in the past if you added logic to it. Do we risk injury to ourselves?

Do we rush in front of the crowd and start chanting them on, trying to quench our thirsts for violence that was inside of us before media had any influence? Do our insides quiver when we hear the grunts and when we see the sweat glistening the bodies?  Scared for them, or delighted?

Do we turn our backs on the fighters, scared to get involved, or not even caring?

Or do you think that common fights over matters that you can’t understand just don’t happen near you?

Two girls are conversing loudly in front of the red-brick church, wearing their Catholic school girl uniforms, their hair in pigtails, their pretty little mouths twisted in rage.

“I love him more!”

“You can’t possibly love him more! I’ve loved him since forever!”

“I’ve loved him longer.”

“That doesn’t mean you love him more!”

What do you do? Stand back and watch?

The girls start pushing each other, then lightly punching each other’s arms. Suddenly, one screams out and starts pulling on the other girl’s pigtails. Soon they are rolling around in rain puddles, getting mud, dirt, and water on their uniforms. They are wrapped around each other’s bodies, trying to hit each other, claw at each other, and pull hair.

You step in, thinking that it is foolish for girls at that age to fight over a guy. You help the older one up, while the other one is crying softly, trying to stand up, but ending up falling back down.

“Why were you fighting?” you ask curiously.

“On who loves God more,” the younger girl pouted.

You look at the girls with astonishment, speechless for a moment.

Were they fighting over some little thing, or the biggest thing in the world?

You open your mouth to speak.

What do you say to the two girls drenched to the bone, who got bruised and scraped up fighting over who loves God more?

© Copyright 2009 Heather L. Baker - All Rights Reserved
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
1 posted 2009-04-09 05:36 PM

LOL

How do you tell them that their very actions indicate a lack of "knowing" the One they claim to love most? *shaking my head here*

Enjoyed the read! *S*

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Fight!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary