navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Aztecs and John's ?
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Aztecs and John's ? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Quetzalito
Unregistered
Posts 4

0 posted 2004-11-06 11:19 PM

The fall of the Aztecs...
The Aztecs are my ancestors...and I am devastated for what has become of my people...poverty, humiliation, racism, unfairness. BUT
As Stephensen said, "An empire is no more permanent than an oak-tree: the mightiest oak must fall, rotting hollow at the core. Everything that has life in it has death in it, too. A moment of rapture, or a moment of power, cannot be prolonged unduly beyond its zenith. Where there has been strength and greatness, there must come sequent decline and fall".

© Copyright 2004 Quetzalito - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2004-11-07 01:45 AM

It is very sad, that whole civilizations disappear because of the extreme actions of some. I hope you can find and focus on the positive things accomplished by these ancients, and cherish that, make it become part of who you are today.  
Truth is never one-sided. Perhaps you will join this board, share more of your thoughts and feelings with us? By the way, there are some who say this American civilization will end up the same way. I'd be curious as to your thoughts on this.
Are you from Guatemala?
Peace to you, Kacy

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
2 posted 2004-11-07 08:27 AM

"The Aztecs are my ancestors..."

What is your view
of how they were?

John

Quetzalito
Unregistered
Posts 4

3 posted 2004-11-09 12:25 PM

Yes, I was born in Guatemala. I have Aztec and Mayan in me. I am very proud of what they accomplished...but it is sad and there is still a lot of resentment for what happened so long ago. What's even worse is that the modern day Mayans are treated like garbage. They have been stripped of their lands and their richessess. The "ladinos" (mayan-spaniard) think they are civilized and somehow better than the natives. Almost everyone here would like to forget they have Mayan/Aztec in them because somehow it's shameful. I don't get it...but I guess they will always exist inequality in this world.

But I am proud because these ancient civilizations were brilliant and that can never be taken away from them.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2004-11-09 09:31 AM

Thanks for taking time to share that with us. It seems all conquering cultures do the same thing...subject the 'losers' to subservient positions, take away the pride as well as the personal possessions. Look at what the US did to the native cultures here with our manifest destiny mindset.
Again, welcome to Passions, and when you can, please share some stories about modern day Mayan and Aztec descendents. I have met many wonderful people from Guatemala, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, el Salvador...and all of them have possessed a distinctive charm and beauty of soul. I regularly listen to music of the Andes, the flutes and other instruments. I find many positive notes about a given culture within its music.
Keep sharing the positive, even when the negative stuff seems overwhelming.

And for John? I find it far more important to look at how they ARE, and their dreams of the future, than to focus on how they were so long ago. No one can change the past.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Aztecs and John's ?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary