navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Mayan ruin
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Mayan ruin Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Quetzalito
Unregistered
Posts 4

0 posted 2004-11-09 12:32 PM

© Copyright 2004 Quetzalito - All Rights Reserved
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
1 posted 2004-11-09 01:14 AM

“Human sacrifice was perpetrated on prisoners, slaves, and particularly children, with orphans and illegitimate children specially purchased for the occasion.”

http://www.civilization.ca/civil/maya/mmc03eng.html

Quetzalito
Unregistered
Posts 4

2 posted 2004-11-09 01:29 AM

I don't agree with the human sacrificing the Mayan's practised but I try to not concentrate on that...what civilization has not had a dark side.
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2004-11-09 03:46 AM

There are many religions besides the Aztecs that practiced sacrificial offerings that we know of, and I would bet as many more we don't.  I read somewhere that it was even suggested that Jesus being placed upon the cross was in fact a sacrifice. The Mayans indeed contributed to our culture, and to the world in general and you have every right to be very proud of your roots.  It is so easy to either concentrate on the negative in any ancient society or the positive, and it boils down to being all about choices.  Beautiful photo by the way.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrifice#Theologies_of_sacrifice  

Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it is the only thing.
~ Albert Schweitzer

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2004-11-09 09:02 AM

Quetzalito, thank you for coming back and sharing this photo and your thoughts.
I can't recall from my history studies any 'perfect' civization on this planet, the only planet I know of that has a human history. I am not particularly proud of HUMAN history in general, as it doesn't take but a glance around the world to see cruelty and abuse directed at the weaker populations in any country, irregardless of religious or political persuasion. Europe, Asia, Russian, Africa, island cultures, South America, North America, you name it, there is ample evidence of atrocities.
Do not hang your head low. Be proud of who you are. And if you are not personally doing any of these horrid things or assisting those who do? you cannot be held accountable.

I have a feeling John might zero in on my 'assisting' comment, which is always subject to debate. But YOU do not have to accept the burden of guilt for millions that came before, during, or after you, any more than modern day peaceful Germans must carry Hitler's scars.
I'd love to see photos, any time you can share.
Have a great day, and welcome to Passions.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Mayan ruin

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary