navwin » Discussion » Feelings » numbness
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic numbness Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding

0 posted 2003-05-19 10:41 PM

I'm totally numb... isn't a person supposed to be upset after losing someone very important to them? Isn't someone supposed to drown their sorrows in Ben & Jerry's ice cream and cry their eyes out every time they think of that person? Isn't a person supposed to know what to feel and therefore feel it?
I'm just totally numb... the only symptom I've had of losing my now ex is my lack of an apetite and the need to keep my mind busy. Am I normal or just weird?

© Copyright 2003 Rhonda Adolph - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2003-05-19 10:58 PM

Normal. We all handle emotional upsets differently. If this numbness lasts too long though, you might want to check with your doctor (depression).

But for now. Just lick your wounds. Write it out. And try to smile once a day.

And remember you are NOT alone.

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
2 posted 2003-05-20 12:16 PM

According to John Weaver PhD you are in the second stage of disaster response. The initial shock has worn off and the anger is over now the mind has shut itself down to prevent an over-abundance of shock. I will also tell you from experience that the numbness wears off, and the hurt begins, and then the the healing arrives.
*Sending hugs*

Day after day I'm more confused,
So I look for the light through the pouring rain...

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 2003-05-20 06:31 AM

Absolutely normal... and you're doing the right thing - Keep your mind busy - It helps enormously - Good luck, m'friend...
GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
4 posted 2003-05-20 08:23 AM

be careful if you stay like this too long though... it means your supressing your emotion, which is important for a short time because you really can't face anymore. But after that time you need to face everything and let yourself feel.
*hugs* to you.

Always, Alyssa

- And so it was that time stood still -
     (blink, breathe, stand, fight)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » numbness

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary