navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Maybe it's just me...
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Maybe it's just me... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

0 posted 2003-05-18 05:59 PM

A friend made the observation recently that I’m not fond of confrontation and I agreed that was true, so maybe it’s just me…
but the bickering, name calling, complaining, ungraciousness and just outright mean spirited nature of some of the exchanges here recently, saddens me.
We are ALL guests in a most gracious and forgiving home.

Thanks Ron for letting me crash on your porch.  

© Copyright 2003 Duncan - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2003-05-18 06:04 PM

It is not just you. I apologize to YOU as well. And if necessary, I will apologize to EVERYONE individually for my part in this mess. And please, I for one, do not wish to aggravate the situation with further discussion. In fact, I'm afraid to post ANYTHING but the most innocuous poetry for fear of being further misunderstood.
Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

2 posted 2003-05-18 06:16 PM

Sen...In truth this isn't meant to start a discussion.  Only to say something that's been bothering me for awhile...
You owe me no apology.  But thank you.  I know the spirit of this place will prevail, it always does.  Still, it sucks when the families all pissy, ya know?  

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2003-05-18 10:13 PM

It's just you, Dunc...
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2003-05-18 10:26 PM

No, it isn't just you, Duncan. I've had moments where I've cringed, and felt the sting of words come right through this screen.
Sometimes, I just stay away until thing ssettle down a bit.
Yep, I tend to avoid confrontation.
unless of course it's playful bantering with you! hugs to you, we are in the middle of a lightening storm, so I'm shutting down for now  

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2003-05-18 11:01 PM

I try to live by the motto that we should 'do unto others as we would have them do unto us'. It's so hard here when all we have are our words and emoticons to get our point across. Sometimes it's hard to understand the meaning behind the words. All we can do is take a deep breath and be honest with each other. And truly care about the other person.
JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
6 posted 2003-05-18 11:13 PM

I rarely shy from confrontation, but alas, to my shame I think back and wish I would have.

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
Nil Desperandum, Fata viem invenient

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
7 posted 2003-05-18 11:17 PM

To me it depends on the type of confrontation.  Confrontation with closed-minded, stubborn people doesn't seem to get me anywhere, so I shy away from it.  If someone asks me for input, I'll give it, but I won't confront someone who disagrees with me and clearly has no desire to listen to alternative viewpoints.

Yeah, it gets to me when people get into heated arguments at piptalk... I think we should make some effort to keep our negative emotions out of piptalk and inside of emails if possible (and necessary).

Good idea for a thread, Duncan.

Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
~Percy Bysshe Shelley

brian sites
since 2002-06-25
Posts 1475
usa
8 posted 2003-05-19 12:20 PM

you beat me to it Duncan...

After reading what has been going on here..

I shake my head

Using the medium of words,
this tool of internet,
it is so very easy for miscommunication and misunderstanding to happen.
Without face to face inflection, body language, facial expression
it is very easy for people to get false signals.

One thing that I cannot understand is...
Doesn't everyone here understand
that this is the world represented here?
There are people posting their feelings from around the globe
on this website...
Yes, there will be different races
different beliefs
different languages.
You cannot come into a worldwide gathering of peoples expecting to see no-one but those that think as you do
So,
as beings with the capacity of abstract thinking
why do we forget that?
I know I have, on occasion
In fact I left here for three months because I felt I got too emotionally involved in things that, when removed from, I realized
were not really useful to my existence.
I do understand why we get caught up in the emotional field here,
but I think everyone who has issues with the place would benefit from some self-reflection

My thinking is...if someone is bothersome,
or a situation, to you,
act like an adult
and understand
that this isnt your living room
this is the world
and be gracious

Understand that the things you see here
aren't the sum and total of a person.
I have learned this the hard way.

I also want to say,
that attacking Ron is reprehensible.
This service that he provides
and the thought and work that goes into it,
whew
had it been me that set this up
with no compensation other than the satisfaction of having done something Good
and gotten the crap that he receives?
smile
It would have been gone a long time ago

I salute you Ron
for what you have done
for those of us
who want to write
and have our writings be seen
by a large number
of other wonderful writers.

Peace, people
May we all have patience
and courtesy
if not love.

falling off the soapbox now
Brian

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
9 posted 2003-05-19 12:34 PM

It's important, I think, to differentiate between the various TYPES of confrontation.

In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with disagreements, even when those disagreements become heated and potentially volatile. Most certainly, there is nothing wrong with complaining, especially when someone's complaints can possibly change something for the better. Disagreements and complaints may not be comfortable for many, but they are just as necessary to healthy communication as the much more pleasant affirmations of "I love you" or "Thank you for being my friend." If you care both about yourself and someone else, conflict is inevitable and voicing your concern can bring only growth.

I believe confrontation only becomes unhealthy and, in fact, futile when one person (a) will be happy with nothing less than changing the other, and (b) let's their frustration over discovering that won't happen turn the confrontation into a personal attack.

Voicing your opinions on an issue will very, very, very rarely change the opinions of someone else. And they will NEVER change who that person really is. But that's okay, because an argument is just another word for conversation, and changing someone should never be our goal. We talk so that we might better understand. If I call you friend because I believe in A and you also believe in A, that's cool. But, if I like you because I believe in A and have no idea what you believe, then our friendship will always be a shallow one. The person I think I like exists only within my own mind and isn't a true reflection of you. Only when I know and understand what you believe, whether it be A or B, will our friendship have any real meaning.

So what happens when I discover you believe in B?

In part, that will depend on how strongly I believe in A. Naturally, there are a few things I find so completely unacceptable that I cannot overlook them in the name of friendship. And I understand that if you believe very strongly in B, you might well feel the same. Chances are, in either case, we will never be friends.

If we get over that hurdle, though, we still have to decide whether our agreements on C and D are, perhaps, enough to ignore our differences over A and B. If we are to be friends, there must be some commonalties we can share. With any luck, those will be enough to overcome our disagreements.

Finally, if we are to be friends, I think it is important that I agree to accept our differences. I cannot maintain our friendship with the hope that "someday" I will change you and make you believe in A. I don't have to like your opinion, but I have to respect it.

Friendship and love aren't dependent on agreeing with each other all the time. They're dependent on understanding each other. And that only happens when we can talk and feel comfortable enough to be honest with each other.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
10 posted 2003-05-19 12:34 PM

Well, I must have missed a lot lately, and for that, I'm probably lucky. I have seen/read some pretty disagreeable 'venom'
but also undertand our 'real' world is not a bed of roses and smiles.  I can't help but think the tensions of our time, pollution, war, global terrorism have made the human race edgy and short tempered. Not that we haven't always been that way, but perhaps the shrinking world makes us all get into each others face more than before all our technology allowed us to interface in a split second.
But that is no excuse for rudeness. I think it's incumbent on each of us to go out of our way to increase civility, rather than go in the opposite direction. It's easy to spit, much harder to try to listen and understand, and respect.

ctowen
Member Elite
since 2001-10-18
Posts 2286
Green Mountains of VT
11 posted 2003-05-19 02:30 AM

Duncan - I hate confrontations as well .... avoid when possible but life isn't so simple.
As the saying goes "Opinions, everyone has one."

Ron - I feel like a twig amongst the twisted boughs of PIP .... all I require is a few words for nourishment and a little light now and then to know which end is up.
I thank you for the opportunities you offer .... and always will. Somehow I picture you wearing a referee's uniform.   lol

KC - I would tend to agree with you that how we react to a situation depends on what is happening around us. After all, wouldn't such reflect one's opinion of PASSION?

Brian - If the world is not "our" living room, who's is it? As you said, no one will always share the same opinions .... its like siblings to squabble over evrything, it just takes a good father to deal with it.

[This message has been edited by ctowen (05-19-2003 02:39 AM).]

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

12 posted 2003-05-19 11:30 AM

words of wisdom ....

quote:
understand
that this isnt your living room
this is the world
and be gracious

quote:
Understand that the things you see here
aren't the sum and total of a person.

me thinks that statement needs to be the billboard for cyberworld and a bumpersticker on all our monitors.
------------

quote:
If you care both about yourself and someone else, conflict is inevitable and voicing your concern can bring only growth.

Friendship and love aren't dependent on agreeing with each other all the time. They're dependent on understanding each other. And that only happens when we can talk and feel comfortable enough to be honest with each other.

yep...words to grow by.
thanks for sharing them.

I refuse to accept that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism & war that the daybreak of peace can never be reality.
MLK

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
13 posted 2003-05-19 12:49 PM

Understanding

and

Honesty
can I put both of those on a billboard. . .or on several million bumperstickers???  because that's what I've been trying to say all along. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
14 posted 2003-05-19 01:10 PM

BRAVO Duncan!!!! HUGS tooo

Lauren~

Through the darkness
I can see your light
And you will always shine
And I can feel your heart in mine

I will remember you

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
15 posted 2003-05-19 02:01 PM

I. personally, have always believed that everyone is entitled to my opinion...
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
16 posted 2003-05-19 03:35 PM

LOL at Michael's reply.
Hope your day on the porch is a pleasant one, Dunc.

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
17 posted 2003-05-19 06:00 PM

I kinda believe in 'Q'....

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

18 posted 2003-05-19 06:15 PM

Ok, I'll bite.  Q?
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
19 posted 2003-05-20 07:19 AM

1.  Brian:  AMEN
2.  Duncan:  TY much needed post
3.  Ron:  In awe of your self- control

bottom line:

if a bunch of poets cannot get along - I didnt say agree with everything but simply show respect and love for one another - goodness - I shiver at the prospects for the future . . .

email a disagreement - I despise seeing this in postings - shows immaturity and disprespect

critique something please - but be sensible when you do this - you never know if its a true bleed or a whim

it pains me to see outright malice and jealousy . . .  anywhere -

especially here . . .  I learn and grow through all of you . . .

I am only thankful I am allowed to express myself (and people actually respond to this!)  still amazes me . . .

I have left my heart here
have had it re-started
smiled, laughed a whole lot
and most importantly,
have had a hand when I have fallen
and have extended my hand just the same

I am grateful to be here . . .  truly
thank you
xxoo

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
20 posted 2003-05-20 10:20 AM

Ron had such a marvelous dissertation regarding belief in A or B, and the dynamics of friendships based on acceptance of those beliefs etc.  I just wanted everyone who thought about being my friend to know tht I don't really subscribe to A or B, even C, D, E...   I'm pretty much a Q guy.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
21 posted 2003-05-20 12:36 PM

I 'see enough' to know that THIS is true~
quote:
I believe confrontation only becomes unhealthy and, in fact, futile when one person (a) will be happy with nothing less than changing the other, and (b) let's their frustration over discovering that won't happen turn the confrontation into a personal attack.
Darn these 'rose-colored' glasses anyhow !

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Maybe it's just me...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary