navwin » Discussion » Feelings » enraged!!!!!
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic enraged!!!!! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
KoKo
since 2003-02-15
Posts 995
Inside the shadow's shadow

0 posted 2003-02-16 06:05 AM

Well...I recently got a poem published by a well known poetry site. I am disgusted to find out that it is all a scam!!! And millions of poets go there and get their peice published, thinking they've done something great and wonderful!!!...But how is it fair when you have to pay for this "Reward Bowl with Name Inscription"...You have to pay to get the book it's published in...And when they send you the letter saying they want you to go to some fancy poetry reading in washington d.c....they want you to pay for the trip, too?
This is a free site I'm talking about. It costs nothing to post your poems, costs nothing to register. And the name of the site is utterly seductive...It's normally the first thing a poet or poetry reader puts in the search bar when they start searching for a place to read and post poetry!! This is disgusting. The letter they send you is full of deceiving, heart warming compliments...And then they send you an email later saying that they're sorry you won't be able to join them in D.C. because...such and such a reason!! AAAAAAAGH!!! How can people DO this to someone?!...
...ok...i just needed to let that out....

I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.
--Chang Tzu

© Copyright 2003 Lauren - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2003-02-16 08:20 AM

Trust me, Koko. We've ALL been there done that!! A lot of us were scammed by them too. There should be a law against that kind of thing! I have a friend at work who is so proud that she's been published in 5 of their books!! I told her once it was a scam but she refused to listen to me.
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
2 posted 2003-02-16 09:57 AM

I am embarassed to say that the sites real location is in the area where I grew up and is only an hour from here.

But truth be told, anyone can be published for a price and it just depends on how high you want that price to be.

I know of others who have all submitted even the  dumbest nonsense poems or phrases and they were told they  made it into the book. ..or have  been getting the letters telling them their poem was in the top "whatever", but the last time they submitted was 3 years ago or more.
It's a business, and all they want is your money and your poem will be in the book...and for the rest, it just depends on how naive you are as to what lies you believe.

Sorry, but I always research these things now, just to be sure they aren't a scam
(which this isn't because they give you what they promise...or they would be shut down by now)

M

Charisma
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
3 posted 2003-02-16 04:31 PM

ouch KoKo.....been there, done that too...know the feeling quit well

(((warm hugs)))

Charisma

Connel
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2002-11-04
Posts 736
Florida, USA
4 posted 2003-02-17 10:58 PM

I once too went ands tried to post a few poems into a poetry book... They said my Copyright would be there, its free, and only child safe poetry was aload. So I said cool. Posted my best poem. Got an e-mail saying, Your poem has been sent in to be analyzed. So i waited. about 3 days later I got another e-mail saying. Congrats, your poem is approoved. It will be puplished into ( book title, I cant remember. =( ).. And so I thought cool, so i decided to do this with all of my poems.. And they all were approoved. Then when the book was puplished. I waited for it to get to the library. And went and checked it out. had about 500 pages. Checked every one four times, not even one of my poems were in it.. And then I went into the credits, looking for my name. Wasnt there either.

I probably could have took them to court, but, I got over it.

The point is, this happens to every one.

Anyone can write, But only poets can capture the heart.

KoKo
since 2003-02-15
Posts 995
5 posted 2003-02-18 08:46 AM

I just wish it didn't happen. I wish there was some way I could stop this! :'(

I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.
--Chang Tzu

Albert J. Allie
since 2003-02-13
Posts 512
Queens NY
6 posted 2003-03-22 10:49 PM

You mean...I really didn't win that silver bowl with my name on it? Darn I was soooo close. Kidding. I still get the e-mails with the link to the picture of it. I dont need an award to tell me my writing is good. Touching the hearts of those who read my words and inspiring THEM is my reward. Anyone who charges you to publish or recieve and "award" is a scam. Unless you are self publishing. I WILL give you an award for your poetry. Your award is all of us "mostly me" Here on this site who love and enjoy reading your work!

Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
7 posted 2003-03-23 05:11 PM

I fell for this to, never sent any cash.But I was so excited.Me? in print..........wow.I caught on to the scam qwik and never sent a dime.Now I go into print under the votes of fellow poets.That makes me proud.
Jason

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
8 posted 2003-03-23 08:49 PM

Well, I don't even know what site you are talking about, but I know Pips is the only one I'm posting at now, as I've heard too many horror stories!
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
9 posted 2003-03-24 09:43 PM

guilty . . .
Justbleu
Member Elite
since 1999-08-31
Posts 3329
Oregon, Originally From Alaska :)
10 posted 2003-03-26 01:29 PM

After hearing of this....my home will only ever be Passions!!!!  
Bridgette

"Somewhere, somehow, it should be possible to touch someone and never let go again.  To hold someone, not for a moment but forever." Unknown

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
11 posted 2003-03-26 03:55 PM

Happened to me too. When I got the letter, I realized how full of it they were. It's a really cheap trick, isn't it?
Sandra

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

12 posted 2003-03-26 05:07 PM

Happened here, too. I think you know you're no longer a poetry virgin when you've been fleeced by a publishing ring.
regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
13 posted 2003-03-27 10:37 AM

Just curious how you know you were not published in one of their anthologies. If it is the well-known site I'm thinking of, I, thought one does  not have to purchase the book to be in it, or any of the items offered with poem printed on it. Since there are millions (?) of poets/poems run through this organization I can't imagine how they could offer free air fare and lodgings for a ~formal get-together~ to honor poets....
Does any organization of poets do that? I don't think so, for one poem? Just looking at the other side of this issue. They do give out cash rewards and it was a disappointment to find they chose the winner by date/time stamp of poem. It was a beginning and we move on and get lucky when we find this site, appreciating it that much more.  Publishing, distribution and advertising are not cost free, though. It did not cost a dime to be printed there, if it is the organization I'm thinking of.  Just one more opinion.
Hugs, Pat

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

KoKo
since 2003-02-15
Posts 995
14 posted 2003-03-27 10:55 AM

There are plenty of sites showing the same opinions. And when I say plenty, I mean [edited]. You're right, I'm sure some sites aren't a scam. But I still hold my belief strong that this one is.
Try looking it up with a search engine. It's quite interesting.

--Chang Tzu

[This message has been edited by Ron (03-27-2003 11:36 AM).]

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
15 posted 2003-03-28 12:08 PM

I, too, have fallen victim to the P*****.com scam of the ages. The REALLY hard part is that I neglected to save the hard copies of the two poems I was going to have published (if I happened to buy their $40 book) and when I recently went on that site to retrieve them to post here, I wasn't even allowed to retreive them off the site.
Luckily I did happen to find the hard copy, and posted it on here, however,as a bright person once told me, "failure isn't failure if a lesson is learned"

Imagine all the People living life in peace...
John Lennon

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
16 posted 2003-03-28 02:17 AM

happened to me too...
the funny thing is, the first poem I put in their that was selected was horrible.. as in, it was one of the first I'd written and it was forced rhyme and words.. I made it on like two more 'rounds' and was asked to go to the party too. Sad thing is, I did it twice! ..never spent a dime though.

Always, Alyssa

- And so it was that time stood still -
     (blink, breathe, stand, fight)

wings of the moon
since 2003-03-27
Posts 323
Pink bubblegum land
17 posted 2003-03-28 02:01 PM

did it too...
the thing is that I'm not allowed to ever spend money on internet (by my mother ) so as soon as they mentionned me having to pay i backed off and ignored all their further post and e-mails.
If they want to spend money sending me rubbish its their problem... but I'll never spend money to get published unless i am a 100% sure that its worthwhile and i'll get paid back

KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
18 posted 2003-03-28 03:11 PM

This "bright one" says:  if you can't find a hardcopy of your poem, go back to P*****.com and search for the poem.  Run your mouse over it and select...copy it, and paste it into a new word document.  Print it...and there ya go.

I don't think there's an inspiring poet out there who hasn't placed their heart on the line, to realize there are people trying to make money EVERYWHERE.

If you got scammed, take heart.  One good thing about posting a poem on these sites, is that you are sharing your poetry with random people.  They may be inspired to write for the first time or to get back to writing again.  You may wake someone up to reality of their life, save a life, or simply make someone smile.  There is a reason in everything...make it a good one.

Failure isn't failure if a lesson from it is learned ~ KS

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
19 posted 2003-04-02 09:12 PM

KoKo,  

I am glad that you started this thread,  for
I am sure there are lots of new members who
can learn from what has been posted here.
I too received all of the correspondence and
went through my initial euphoria...  then
I went through the sudden and sickening feel
of someone trying to take advantage of me.

I was fortunate...never cost me a penny.  But the feeling in my gut didn't go away
for a very long time.

Sad....

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
20 posted 2003-04-26 07:58 PM

Koko - don't feel too bad, as you can see others have been there, including me...

BC

WinterWren
since 2002-12-01
Posts 1044
...Coming to
21 posted 2003-04-27 02:10 PM

Poetry.com right??!! Yeah CNN or some news company even did a show on them.
They went to a kindergarden and had all the kids send in poems.
ALL the kids got letters saying how wonderful and perfectly written ect. ect. their poems were!

WinterWren
"Even a fool knows that we cannot touch the stars, but that doesn't keep the wise from trying."

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
22 posted 2003-06-02 11:24 PM

I have a funny story about this.  I went in to post on this site.  I hit a button and all that got in was the title of my poem.  I received one of their congratulatory letters and all of the offers at a cost that the rest of you got naming this one as my wonderfull poem..  I returned an email to them telling them that I thought they were a scam and of course they ignored me, but I'm still getting letters.  Joyce
Fading Away
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-14
Posts 3131
Lynchburg, Virginia
23 posted 2003-06-03 01:56 PM

would this website happen to be http://www.poetry.com?

*nods* Yeah, happened to me, too. I think it happened to half of the poets at this site.

Someone should take that site off the internet. They've had their fun.

--Marie

"You can be idealistic for all of ten seconds before you die." (Imitation of Life)

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
24 posted 2003-06-03 03:24 PM

quote:
P*****.com

That gave me a laugh, KristieSue, because for a second I thought poetry.com was one of the words caught by our filters.     Which would make sense, ya know.  

I still think it's disgraceful that this company happens to have that domain name.  piptalk is the ONLY site on the internet that should come up when you type "poetry.com" into your browser.

We should file a class-action lawsuit against them for fraud, if we can prove that they don't 'carefully select' their poems like they say they do.  Maybe we can have them legally change their name to "poetryscam.com" and give the "poetry.com" domain to Ron, who is much more deserving of it...

[This message has been edited by Local Parasite (06-03-2003 03:27 PM).]

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
25 posted 2003-06-03 07:55 PM

So...am I the only one to have started at PiP's? I've not been anywhere else nor posted anywhere else. I do lead a blessed life I guess!

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » enraged!!!!!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary