navwin » Discussion » Feelings » What would make a person wish for something they have?
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic What would make a person wish for something they have? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
HM3
since 1999-07-15
Posts 169
TX

0 posted 2000-03-03 07:24 PM

Here's the short story. My spouse and I are out with my best friend and spouse waiting to be seated for diner. I'm having a bloody mary and it has a stalk of celery with two huge leafy things that could have made me loose an eye. So, I asked my friend if she wanted to make a wish (like on Thanksgiving) and she did. I took a moment to think and we pulled. She "won" the celery pull and I no longer needed eye protection. Later I asked if her celery wish came true and she said it did. Knowing she could tell me what it was I asked her and she said her wish was that she and I would be friends forever and ever. Hmm, like I said, why would a person ask for something they already have?

Work like money doesn't matter, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching...

© Copyright 2000 Mark Ozee - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2000-03-03 07:49 PM

Possibly the wish just means she wants the friendship to remain...to reinforce the bond so to speak...
WhisperingWind
since 2000-03-02
Posts 28
Ontario, Canada
2 posted 2000-03-03 07:53 PM

Maybe she just wanted to remind you.  She was probably hoping you would ask her what her wish was.  I do things like that all the time. Wish for things I already have. I just like to make sure they stay like that.  
I like to be reminded of things that are important to me.  Feelings are very important to say over and over.  Makes people feel good to be reminded someone cares.  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2000-03-08 07:13 PM

I wish to WANT what i already have...
HM3
since 1999-07-15
Posts 169
TX
4 posted 2000-03-08 07:26 PM

Serenity ~

Why?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2000-03-08 08:09 PM

You people ask some damned hard questions...
I want to want what I have, because I wish to be content.  I have seldom recognized happiness in my life except in retrospect--always, always looking to improve on everything...I guess I have given up on anything ever meeting my expectations.

Now, just how much will you be charging me for this session?

HM3
since 1999-07-15
Posts 169
TX
6 posted 2000-03-08 09:26 PM

OK, please read my comment on Whisperingwinds' question, If you could make a wish, what would it be.

What is the source of your discontent?

BTW ~ No charge and I wish you joy  

Work like money doesn't matter, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2000-03-09 03:46 AM

There you go again.  I guess we have to have
a certain amount of discontent--hunger, sex, surviv

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2000-03-09 04:02 AM

Okay, I know, that wasn't really funny.

But seriously, I agree with our wonderful
reply to whisperingwind (in fact, that's
usually MY speech) intellectually, and even
at one with the moment--but doncha just get
RESTLESS sometimes?  Isn't it a yearning
for something unseen that has helped mankind
to evolve?  I can touch on God and the
indescribable union--but alas, I lose it
as I go through the day.  Some days are better, some are worse...but I am not perfect, and therein lies the source of my
discontent.

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
9 posted 2000-03-09 11:58 AM

hmmmm I've wished for things I already have merely because I know life is subject to change at any given moment and there are no guarantees better to wish for something you already have than to realize you have lost something and want it back I suppose

~*Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a tear*~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » What would make a person wish for something they have?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary