navwin » Discussion » Feelings » A bird hit my door and I watched it die.
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic A bird hit my door and I watched it die. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
majnu
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2002-10-13
Posts 1088
SF Bay Area

0 posted 2005-12-10 02:57 AM

A bird hit my door and I watched it die.

It was the damnedest thing. I am talking to my mum after having had lunch and I hear what I think is a rather heavy knock on my door. Surprised, becuase I was not expecting any delivery or visitor, I go to the door look through the peep hole. I here nothing, but becuase I was certain I had heard a sound, I open the door cautiously.

I look around and there is no one about, but as I am closing the door I see a blue jay lying on my doormat twichting. Even before I could go get a napkin and pick it up it stopped moving. I have held birds before and one can feel them breathing, with their soft little chests rising and falling. It was soft and warm and I kept hoping it was start struggling in my hand.

I kept it for a half an hour, hoping it had just been stunned. Sprinkled water on it, and then finally decided it must be dead. I could not toss it in the dumpster, though. Its body was still warm and I just did not have the heart. I left on the fence of my apartment complex. Probably a cat will get it, but I had to give myself the chance that it would wake up and fly off.

I got really emotional about a silly dead bird. Yet I had chicken for lunch and do not plan to stop eating birds. I just wonder what got to me.

© Copyright 2005 Zaheer Abbas Ali - All Rights Reserved
gemjop
Member Elite
since 2002-11-18
Posts 2587
Pencilveinia, USA
1 posted 2005-12-10 06:15 AM

Our cat used to bring in birds, usually quite big chicks and mice. The mice were usually unharmed, just terrified. Catching them again for my equally terrified mum was often quite good fun, they are so fast, and so cute. And even better seeing them run off from your hands, free from our daft cat.

But on the occasions Dylan brought in baby birds that were almost dead used to make me cry. I was appointed once again as the one to pick up the poor fluffy things. You know, when something is at deaths door, weak with not long left, but still breathing. In those times i have almost not wanted to put them down and have held them, but have eventually had to out of feeling useless and desperate, so have placed them at the end of our garden in a sheltered bit. And minutes later they are gone. I can't bare thinking about those last minutes of suffering.

It does get to you, nature.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2005-12-10 11:43 AM

*hugs*

A measure of your sensitive heart.

I understand.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
3 posted 2005-12-10 02:29 PM

I have felt the same as you.  
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
4 posted 2005-12-10 04:20 PM

I feel sad when any living creature dies.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
5 posted 2005-12-10 06:55 PM

absolutely understand that feeling, i've seen it happen with a few animals. i once drove by a german shepperd that'd been struck by a car, i teared up and felt horrible for a week.
sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
6 posted 2005-12-10 11:35 PM

Once a tiny mouse sat in our attached garage looking at me as I went passed it and back again.  I quickly slammed the door as I dashed back into the house. A few times, I peeked out and there it sat, same place, just looking at me.  When my son came home from school, I asked him to get the push broom and sweep it out the big door.  He smiled and left, then came in saying, "Mom, he can't walk, he's paralized.  I can't sweep him out."  So we wound up putting it in a box, but leaving the box in the garage, and in the morning it was dead.  So badly I wanted to get rid of the thing until I knew it was hurt, then suddenly you want to help it.  I'm not sure what we'd have done if it'd lived.

Rae

majnu
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2002-10-13
Posts 1088
SF Bay Area
7 posted 2005-12-11 12:59 PM

don't really know what to say - thanks guys.

-majnu
--------------------------------------
Timid thoughts be not afraid. I am a Poet.

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
8 posted 2005-12-11 11:47 AM

aww maj, ask Ed (wranx) about his cardinal, you wont feel so bad about the bird anymore.

But I understand.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » A bird hit my door and I watched it die.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary