navwin » Discussion » Feelings » The Mantle
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Mantle Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JesusChristPose
since 2005-06-21
Posts 777
Pittsburgh, Pa

0 posted 2005-08-19 09:03 PM

Artist ~ Agalloch
CD ~ The Mantle

Simply... brilliant.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006FSST/qid=1124500275/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-3358324-9603008?v=glance&s=music

"I have gone away. The bed is cold and empty. Trees bend their boughs toward the earth. And nighttime birds float as black faces."

© Copyright 2005 JesusChristPose - All Rights Reserved
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
1 posted 2005-08-22 01:21 AM

I sure agree with you and enjoyed their second CD as well.  They are from Portland, Oregon, so I bet Kacy is familiar with them as she is down that way close enough.  

I downloaded the new one from here, but have no idea what language this is even  
http://music.kulichki.net/mp3/a/agalloch.shtml#

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
2 posted 2005-08-22 01:40 AM

I am on it, love it, thanks JC.

Reminds me a bit of Metallica if they had followed their classical bit with a twinge of Cure.

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
3 posted 2005-08-22 08:00 PM

there are 4 albums I have found so far.  have them all.
JesusChristPose
since 2005-06-21
Posts 777
Pittsburgh, Pa
4 posted 2005-08-22 09:09 PM

Are they sure that is Agalloch, The Gothicum cd that is? I haven't found anything on any website stating that Agalloch has a new cd out, and I have had a chance to download it, so I haven't heard it yet.

The Mantle is their latest as far as I know.

Pale Folklore is their other full length cd. That one is excellent too.

Anyway, it always feels good to me to turn people on to new music.  

"If this grand panaorama before me is what you call God... then God is not dead."

[This message has been edited by JesusChristPose (08-23-2005 05:34 PM).]

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
5 posted 2005-08-23 08:34 AM

Without breaking laws, *grin*

I found Pale Folklore - 1999/The Mantle - 2002/From Which of this Oak - 1997/Of Stone, Wind and Pillor -2001.  

They are all Agalloch - although it is listed here as Black Metal.  It is so much more than that.  

Have not listened to all yet, only Mantle and Folklore.  Will make sure, but you're right.  The music is amazing, something VERY different.

And thank you.  I love getting others into music too and love hearing new music.  Especially this.  It is like acoustic death.  

Search in Amazon, they have even more listed.
Google Agalloch, I believe it is a sitar/harp-like Iranian instrument.  That's what Sharon was seeing up there, I think.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2005-08-23 01:01 PM

Here is is in English for you  
http://www.mp3gate.ru/agalloch/gothicum.shtml

This isn't new it was 2003 (the Mantle is the latest, and that was the one I downloaded.)

JesusChristPose
since 2005-06-21
Posts 777
Pittsburgh, Pa
7 posted 2005-08-23 09:12 PM

When I first was turned on to Agalloch's, The Mantle, I didn't like it. I thought it was boring and repetitive... but the more I listened to it, the more I understood just how complex it is in its simplicity. Like a symphony has movements, I look upon a cd like this to be in the same vein as a symphony.

Maybe that is why I enjoy classical music as much as music like this.

Many parts of this cd are "catchy" or as I also say, contain "hooks" - a part of song that gets one humming or saying, "Yeah, I get that!"

The Hawthorne Passage @ the 7:00 minute mark, takes off on a symphonic journey, that to me is pure greatness. The lamentation that follows (in Spanish) befits the atmosphere and meaning of this melancholy dark-folksy-black metal cd.

Other parts that "hooked" me early was during these lyrical parts...

In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion

The chorus rocks...

Fall. . .so shall we fall into the nihil?
The nothingness that we feel in the arms of the pale
In the shadow of the grim companion who walks with us

But I absolutely love this part...

Here at the edge of this world
Here I gaze at a pantheon of oak, a citadel of stone
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God. . .
Then God is not dead

and...

like every hope I've ever had
like every dream I've ever known
It washed away in a tide of longing,
a longing for a better world
From my will, my throat, to the river, and into the sea...

Those parts hooked me for sure.

So much more to this brilliant cd. I hope you all enjoy at least as half as much as I do.

Not too many people know or heard of these guys - as compared to popular music/groups.

"If this grand panaorama before me is what you call God... then God is not dead."

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
8 posted 2005-08-24 12:10 PM

I'm confused.

How does an artist make a living selling an entire CD of music for less than a buck? For that matter, does ANY of that sub-dollar sale get back to the artist at all?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2005-08-24 12:18 PM

on tour, Ronnie Baby.

Say, they have an agent?

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
10 posted 2005-08-24 09:12 AM

Pale Folklore is by far, my favorite.  

I agree on the classical journeys, reminds me a bit of this Industrial music Bri (LP) introduced me to.  

Godspeed You Black Emperor!

"Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven"  

Have to listen . . . amazing.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » The Mantle

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary