navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Trying to answer a question, mainly for myself but advice would be nice
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Trying to answer a question, mainly for myself but advice would be nice Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York

0 posted 2005-07-22 11:55 PM

When and why did you begin to write poetry?

I don't even know how to begin this question, my first poem I wrote that had an impact on my interest in poetry was in the 11th grade.  I had an amazing english teacher that told me that I was a very talented poet, only that poem was the only one I'd ever written.

That happened in the begining of a rough school year and that teacher just happened to understand what I was going through. A week before school started my mom served my dad with divorce papers and it got ugly, I was dropped off at a friends house and stayed there the first two weeks of school.  I remember the teacher always greeted us with a smile and those first few weeks I was pretty messed up, I guess she realised something was wrong and confronted me about it, thats when I broke down and told her, and she understood what I was going through and told me that she was there if I needed to talk.

Towards the end of the year we lost her, and when the Principal told us, I instantly began writing a poem, which fruited my first published poem "My Teacher, MY guide".  But when I think about all my successes and failtures about my poetry I don't know how I feel about it. I want to be happy about it but when I am I feel wrong about it, it feels selfish and just wrong.  

© Copyright 2005 Kellie M. Cantrell - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2005-07-23 12:58 PM

/pip/Forum29/HTML/001229.html

Lounge thread on this subject.

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
2 posted 2005-07-24 03:55 PM

For years I wrote poetry, stuffed it in a drawer then in the garbage when the drawer was too full.  A coworker once came by as I was writing one waiting for my next customer.  She began reading it, asking if I wrote that.  She asked what I did with what I write and I smiled, "Stuff them in a drawer until it's full then pitch some in the garbage."  She gave me a very stern look, "Shame on you to have such a talent and waste it."  "I thought higher of you."  That was a perspective I'd never thought of before.  She went on to tell me that's just like hoarding money to throw away.  There are others who could benefit by my sharing.  It'd never occurred to me.

Sharing is NOT blowing your own horn, anymore than chatting with a friend is.  It's merely sharing your inner thoughts and feelings with others.  You'd be amazed how often that's extremely helpful to another who relates to it.

I'm going to that thread to post when I first began writing.

Please keep writing.

Rae

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Trying to answer a question, mainly for myself but advice would be nice

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary