navwin » Discussion » Feelings » what in tarnation? Pancho and Lefty?
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic what in tarnation? Pancho and Lefty? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia

0 posted 2005-06-28 08:48 PM

So, today I decided to put Pancho and Lefty in my solo set -- and I can't get past the second chorus without weeping like an idiot.

painful, throat stinging, salty tears...

why am I doing this?  opened up a vein somewhere... (mutter mutter mutter mutter)

Pancho and Lefty?  c'mon

(um-- ok...most of you probably don't know -- its an old waylon and willie song.)

© Copyright 2005 Local Rebel - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2005-06-28 08:56 PM

aw Reb...

with me? It's that Neil song--

three versions back to back...

and I am a blubbering mess.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
2 posted 2005-06-28 09:00 PM

tried it again...

I can't sing this stupid song...

guess it's off the list huh?

it's only castles burning...

so, who's turning?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2005-06-28 09:10 PM

I'd be willing to TRY the vocals yanno.

but it can't be like either...

send me somethin'. (need tabs?)

(and if you hit the low ones, I can reach for the high ones...no promises tho)

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
4 posted 2005-06-28 09:20 PM

what you want?  Pancho and Lefty tabs?  
http://www.guitaretab.com/n/nelson-willie/13227.html

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
5 posted 2005-06-28 09:21 PM

Oh Gosh, I love Poncho and Lefty... just a tear jerker for sure...

but worse than that for me is the one by Ray Charles and Willie...

Seven Spanish Angels

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
6 posted 2005-06-28 09:23 PM

Reb can you teach me how to play a guitar?

I have a beautiful one here that was an anniversary gift from my hubby.. but all I can do is peck on it

any suggestions (that are free) I have to many kids to purchase a hobby lol

thanks,
Tima

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
7 posted 2005-06-28 09:26 PM

Just came back to add... I would love to learn how to play some of the old Loretta Lynn tunes like "There He Goes"

Singing I think I have down pat, its just playing the guitar with them

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
8 posted 2005-06-28 10:37 PM

well T.. you're going to have to suffer for art -- you'll need to be willing to invest time -- lots of it.  be willing to practice as many hours as your fingers will allow -- but be careful -- if your hands aren't strong enough you can develop a repetitive motion injury akin to carpal tunnel syndrome -- so you may want to start slow -- which you'd probably have to do anyway since I doubt you have proper callouses on your fingers -- fingertip pain will probably prevent you from over-practicing as you begin.

The answer is -- no though... I can't teach you to play the guitar over the internet -- but I can give you some tips -- to play the style you want -- you'll have to learn the Carter Scratch (as in Mother Maybell Carter -- June Carter Cash's mommy) she practically invented country guitar.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carterfamily/sfeature/sf_welch_pop_05_qry.html

me.. I'm a blues/lead man myself -- so I wouldn't be a real good mentor

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
9 posted 2005-06-28 10:45 PM

Well, beleive it or not... I have the calluses cause I have been trying to teach myself, downloading music and such...

I have been trying to learn the basic chords and such, yet everytime I think I have learned it... lol

I hit the wrong string and it sounds like a cat trying to get off of a clothesline

I have to learn how to move my hands and fingers without looking at them, cause that slows me down...

thanks for the link tho.. gone to check it out now

** came back to add **

Do you have the link that lets me see the whole bit they done on that episode?  Cause when I click one of the other links it says page not found...

By the way?

I love the sound of what shes playing, reminds me of being on my granmas porch eating watermelon....

I have SOOOOO got to learn that

Thanks Reb

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2005-06-28 10:54 PM

Reb?

See me about a Dobro...and a man who wasn't able to follow his dream to the hilt [two men, actually]...

and see me about Pancho and Lefty, and a man who on my second "honeymoon" sang about a white dove...

talk to me about riffs and strums, and awesome drums

and men who will live beyond their dreams...

please, talk to me...
then teach me some more...
about welcomes, disclosures,
and open doors....

~*~

yea, you know I know you know...

thank you for letting me...be

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
11 posted 2005-06-28 11:19 PM

Try this T.. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carterfamily/sfeature/

and you know -- the zither is a big part of the Carter sound too -- you may want to consider it as well.

I'm a big Carter/Cash fan myself (as most know) it's just a fabulous genre-- and like Ray Charles -- I love the stories.

I never would have considered Pancho and Lefty a tearjerker though -- but, still if it is... I'm supposed to jerk the tears out of the audience -- not myself...

Karilea -- I understand the feelings -- but not necessarily the details -- thanks for you to be

huggsZzz all..

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
12 posted 2005-06-29 10:28 AM

Townes van Zandt wrote Pancho and Lefty.

"Townes had dozens of stories about how his famous outlaw ballad Pancho and Lefty came about. In one version Van Zandt couldnt find a motel within thirty miles of Dallas because the Guru Maharaji and Billy Graham, along with thousands of their faithful flock were both in town at the same time and there was no room at the inn for the weary Texas troubadour.

Although it was years before he saw any royalty checks Townes reaped the benefits of writing the song when he got nabbed, speeding through the small town of Berkshire while driving from Houston up to Austin. A pair of state highway patrolmen pulled his old hippie-hauler over to the side of the road to give it the once over. Van Zandt couldnt remember if he had anything questionable in the car but as a rule of thumb he always considered himself felonious when moving. They soon discovered Townes inspection sticker had expired and his drivers license, although miraculously up to date, had the wrong address. Van Zandt suddenly found himself in the back seat of their patrol car playing twenty questions, when he noticed his captors were different as night and day. One was a blue-eyed Aryan with a short blonde crew cut while the other was Mexican. Townes suddenly felt like a guest star on an episode of Chips.

What is it that you do for a living? the cops began to grill him. Im a traveling folksinger and songwriter, Townes replied, knowing it was tantamount to a plea of guilty. Then taking his best shot Van Zandt inquired if they were familiar with a song called Pancho & Lefty? I wrote that song and gave it to Willie. he said proudly. They looked at him incredulously. But their doubt soon melted away as Townes began to sing the first verse, Livin on the road my friend was gonna keep you free and clean.  

The two cops began to grin and then turned around for another conference in the front seat. Meanwhile Townes waited quietly, tryin to be as nice as possible, not sayin a word and tryin not to even smell bad. A moment later the Aryan announced that the speeding charge had been dropped, but reminded Townes to file for the address change as soon as he got back to Austin. Were gonna have to get you for an inspection sticker, cause weve already written it down, the cop apologized. But that will only be about five bucks.

Grateful, Townes thanked the officers for letting him off. Van Zandt knew well the old code of the road, that once a cop lets you go, you say thanks and keep your mouth shut and split before you stir up any more trouble. But he just couldnt leave well enough alone. Townes had to know why they dropped the charges. It turned out that their radio code names were Pancho and Lefty.

Well, that sure is nice, Townes said, grinning as he walked away. But just before he reached his old heap curiosity got the best of him again. Knowing he was playing with fire, Townes turned around and asked Which one of yall is Pancho? The Mexican pointed to the Aryan and said, He is!

Van Zandt knew it is whats left unsaid that often haunts us most. He never divulges whether Pancho and Lefty were friends or a pair of desperados bound together by some ill-fated scheme. Their relationship is purposely vague. Some speculate that Lefty turned Pancho in, but we never find out anything more other than what he tells us. Pancho bites the dust in the cold, quiet desert while Lefty lives out the rest of his life in a cheap Cleveland hotel after doing whatever it was he had to do. The tale clearly implies a betrayal. The song forever remains an enigma, which is essential to its enduring beauty.

You won't find a song thats better written, that says more or impresses songwriters more, Steve Earle claimed.

Richard Thompson, the great guitarist and author of a catalog of brilliant songs that includes the outlaw opus Vincent Black Lightning openly admitted his affection for Pancho and Lefty. Sharing Van Zandts opinion that songs are otherworldly gifts, Thompson claimed Townes got some of the best songs of the century.

According to Townes Pancho and Lefty just floated in through a window one day after he made himself sit at a table until he wrote a new song. Van Zandt believed anybody couldve done it. They just had to be sitting in the right chair."
http://www.townesvanzandt.com/

Don't feel badly about not being able to finish this song.  One day you will.

"they all did what they had to do...now they're gettin' old"

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
13 posted 2005-06-29 10:54 AM

Thank you, icebox.  
I found that truly interesting!

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
14 posted 2005-06-29 09:05 PM

yes, thanks much man...

I'd never read that story before...and yeah.. I'll get this song.. much better today (and got my flattop back from the luthier today too.. so, now I have to decide if I want to use that or the strat -- I was taking it new places with the strat -- decisions decisions...)

the whole set list (a tad eclectic and a bit ambitious as a solo)

stray cat strut (stray cats)
change the world (eric clapton)
hurt (johnny cash version -- with a little cheryl crow thrown in)
since I been lovin you (zeppelin)
don't let it bring you down (neil young)
won't back down (tom petty)
message in a bottle (police)
world without tears (lucinda williams)
big river (cash)
solitary man (neil diamond/cash)
really want you (moi)
pancho & lefty (nelson/van zandt)
night life (nelson/ray price)
fortress around your heart (sting)
rainbow connection (nelson) with a contrapunctal strain of somewhere over the rainbow

need about 5 more for a solid 20 songs...

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
15 posted 2005-06-29 11:47 PM

go with the flat
I just got a junior size sweetie from a luthier friend, who fixed up this nice little Romanian six stringer for me and let me have it...for cinco dineros
LOL, it is sweet, easy-to-play (for these hands that don't fit the standard sizes and ache in the wet Oregonian weather)

THANKS to icebox for that story! I LOVE music hero tales.
(more info than anyone asked, I know LOL)
but yes, Poncho and Lefty should be...flat
and sometimes? you gotta self-jerk those tears before the audience will believe you

capiche?

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
16 posted 2005-06-30 08:58 AM

Hey Reb,

". . .just find sommme - one whose turrn-ingg . . .
and youuu willll comme a- rrounddd . . ."

(God, that is my comfort tune, go figure)

true poetics . . .

as for Waylon and Wille and the boys?
*grin*

I grew up on "Mama, don't let yer babies grow up ta be cowboys . . ."

My grandfather was in a jugband, he played the washtub, I swear -

I have a Fender Strat and can't play if for squat, I even took lessons, just isn't my gift in this lifetime BUT I will never ever get rid of it, I just want more guitars . . . I tried to sell it once and I had tears . . . nope . . . I want to get a Gibson, mahogany acoustic electric that had my name on it . . . then a hollow body Fender.

I can play the drums pretty good though!
*grin*

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
17 posted 2005-06-30 11:14 AM

You might also listen to the Leon Russell version of Harrison's "Beware of Darkness."

Also, if you have time, put Gretchen Peters in your ear.

*smile*

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
18 posted 2005-06-30 10:24 PM

Well Kac..just so happens I've been using the flattop all evening on this one (almost have it whipped into shape -- my youngest one always comes in to be my fan and critic -- she said she just had something in her eye...)and I may do that ... but the luthier left the 13th fret on 1E dead -- cut it a little too low .. so -- I'm gonna take it back tomorrow -- just can't play it knowing it's not all there...

about the self-jerking thing -- usually tears aren't involved... (you're trying to get me into trouble aren't you?)

little feathers... just so happens that song is on my list by special request of our own serene one... seems to be her go-to song too...

I still need a Mark Knopfler peice -- maybe Southbound Again (need a few more uptempo numbers)... and about four more -- so.. if anyone has a request or suggestions -- I might consider them -- but consider the project is one mic, one guitar (at a time), one take...

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
19 posted 2005-06-30 11:48 PM

"usually tears aren't involved... (you're trying to get me into trouble aren't you?)"

LOL, actually, am roaring here.
just PLAAY!

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

20 posted 2005-07-03 09:42 PM

hehe, nice topic! Music does touch us!

Believe it or not, I was pretty good on a guitar (for only having four weeks to learn!). Such is the insanity of our music program.. might be why I left :P hehe

Yeah, it does hurt like hell (actually played until I bled before!) but it can be worth it!

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
21 posted 2005-07-12 12:54 PM

Reb....thanks for putting up that tab link.  Been thinking about pulling out my guitars again (had surgery on my left thumb several years ago and that kind of screwed things up a bit, but getting more of a grip and control now).  Looking through those pages and pages of songs has given me some inspiration.  

Willie gets to me, too, especially on "You were always on my mind."  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

22 posted 2005-07-12 03:54 AM

*chuckling* Lovebug?

Stevie Ray Vaughn was known to use superglue to put his fingertips back on...

I ain't no Stevie--nope, not me, but I was a band mistress, and yep, I kept superglue in my purse.

It works!

(serenity unplugs, pulls the duct tape off the stage, and releases the hook ups from the amps as she exits, stage right, rolling up the cord...um, without KINKS! )

y'roll 'em WIDE, nod, that's key...

*lights fade*

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
23 posted 2005-07-12 06:43 PM

and don't forget to pull the loop through and stairstep up the snake.. !  

actually, superglue was originally formulated for glueing wounds together in lieu of stitching them -- that's why it sticks to fingers so well -- and yep SRV did superglue his fingertips when they tore -- and if he took as good care of his fingers as his guitar I bet he used a lot of superglue (yanno I love SRV but I gotta get my licks in on shortcomings too)

The best thing is to take care of your callouses to begin with.  Me.. I file mine -- yep -- most people want to build them up -- that's WRONG!!  you want to be able to feel through them and keep them supple -- Clapton knows this which is why he soaks his in witch hazel -- I don't -- I've found filing them with a corn remover type file or emery board before playing and then coating them with tea-tree oil helps keep them in good shape -- you don't want them drying out.

If they do split (like mine do in wintertime) nuskin is much better and gentler than superglue...

there are other tricks of the trade too -- like Andy Summers -- never washed his hands before a performance -- waited at least an hour to play -- this kept the natural oils in his skin available (which I replace with the tea-tree oil)

A Strat player doesn't really have that much trouble though -- it's the bass players and the steel string acoustic players that really tear them up (and I've been on my flat top for about 4 hours a day lately). Switching back to Strat mode now though.

For those (re)beginners who want to develop callouses try a product used on hunting dogs to develop their feet called Blue Pad Conditioner...available in most pet shops.

Glad this could be an inspiration Illiana... and Tima... I got Seven Spanish Angels down too..   (but it aint the same without Ray, or the trumpets, or the big production... doesn't translate that well to solo)

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
24 posted 2005-07-18 01:25 AM

ok... scratch that last sentence -- came up with an arrangement that kills!  

just got to get it all down now..

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
25 posted 2005-07-18 08:29 PM

Hey...hi!  Is there someplace we can go to listen to your music?  I can't come to Chicago, but if you have it recorded, maybe you have it someplace downloadable??
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
26 posted 2005-07-19 08:59 PM

by popular demand I created this group
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/hawkejonesvictims/

file samples of different genres I've done/doing are there, some originals, some covers (within fair use limits since they are mostly my own intro's)

just go to 'files' once there
(only members can access the files -- but to become a member all ya hafta do is join...)

thanks Martie !

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
27 posted 2005-07-20 09:53 PM

Thanks, my friend....I really did enjoy that....especially Pancho and Lefty!!  
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
28 posted 2005-07-20 10:02 PM

(bow)

Thankyou ma'am..

yeah... sorry about the group bandwidth limit (I assume) if any other takers want to hear the whole pile they can go here
http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/nighthawke700/lst?.dir=/song+samples&.src=bc&.view=l&BCID=nighthawke700

to my briefcase -- but you'll need to e-mail me first and ask permission -- just send me your yahoo id..

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » what in tarnation? Pancho and Lefty?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary