navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #38 » A Mighty River
Open Poetry #38
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Mighty River Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
poettothecars
since 2006-02-10
Posts 1093
New Zealand

0 posted 2006-08-04 07:23 AM

A Mighty River

04 August 2006

Once there was an Ontario
a river of ancient flow
As to an abridgement
to those glaciers to create

When a thaw became warm
and lakes in droplets formed
Greater to the vision
God placed in provincial state

Huron to the west. Ontario to the east
While Superior did stand
high upon heights of Erie

Lake Saint Clair, and Detroit, Michigan
For once there was a mighty river
the Ontarian to flow

The Great Lakes are a group of five large lakes on or near the United States-Canadian
border. They are the largest group of fresh water lakes on the earth and sometimes
referred to as inland seas.

The Great Lakes are: Lake Superior (the largest by volume and deepest), Lake Huron (the
third-largest by volume; the second largest in area), Lake Michigan (the second-largest by
volume and third-largest by area; the only one entirely in the U.S.A), Lake Erie (the smallest
by volume and shallowest), Lake Ontario (the second-smallest in volume and smallest in area,
much lower altitude than the rest).

A much smaller sixth lake, Lake Saint Clair, is part of the Great Lakes system between Lake
Huron and Lake Erie, but is not considered one of the “Great Lakes”. There has been interest
in making Lake Saint Clair a Great Lake, in October, 2002, but ultimately this outcome had
too little support.

The lakes are bounded by Ontario in Canada, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York in the USA. Four of the five lakes straddle the U.S.-Canadian border; the fifth, Lake Michigan, is entirely within the United States. The Saint Lawrence River in Canada, is a primary outlet of these interconnected lakes, and flows through Quebec and past the Gaspé Peninsula to the northern Atlantic Ocean.

© 2006 Christopher W Herbert (a New Zealand Poet)

a poet who cares

© Copyright 2006 Christopher W Herbert - All Rights Reserved
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
1 posted 2006-08-04 09:49 AM

Are you sure you aren't an Ontario poet instead of a New Zealand one? lol

You know more about my environs than I do!

Another

EA

poettothecars
since 2006-02-10
Posts 1093
New Zealand
2 posted 2006-08-04 04:27 PM

there is nothing like being the non-Canadian/Canadian poet.

and if God made it that way, who am I to complain.

for there must be a reason, since Canada features so high on my Christmas card list.

a poet who cares

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #38 » A Mighty River

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary