navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #37 » The Comfort Zone
Open Poetry #37
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Comfort Zone Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

0 posted 2006-05-05 02:16 AM

Careful, another poem is under construction. Proceed and read at your own risk!

The Comfort Zone

Asleep in bed beneath the canopy
Of starry heaven, I began to view
A dream and its scenes. Mid this rendezvous
I spied a church known for its pedigee.
Its spire stood high as an hyperbole
And I thought, "What inspires these well-to-do
Ones? What creed and theme draws more than a few
To this church of most popular degree?!"

Their prime motif I saw mid my night's dream
And vivid its scene!  I must dare and share
Its secret as why this church ranked esteem!

I, rocking chairs, saw with settees of flare
And in the spotlight I spied this supreme
Sight: ...a sedan chair proudly "sitting" there!

© Copyright 2006 BROTHER JOHN - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2006-05-05 04:03 AM

Is it proper to call a midget a midget these days? (If it ain't politically correct, I'm almost certain it's a medical term.)

Anyhoo, I used to watch this little midget lady on the preacher channel, and she sang and played a midget keyboard and offered wisdom and everything but bar specials between her songs.

She never once offended me tho. I just figgered she was in a happy place, and I actually envied that at times.

Enjoyed.

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

2 posted 2006-05-05 07:20 AM

very nice read
BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

3 posted 2006-05-05 07:33 AM

Dear Serenity Blaze,

Thank you for your kindness in your reply. Yes, trips to Paris maybe good or bad for midgets or tall ones or anyone.  But there is no place like home.

The best to you this day.

BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

4 posted 2006-05-05 07:38 AM

Dear Lee,

Thanks for stopping by.  I am glad you quickly picked up the humor.  

Have a wonderful day!!!

Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
5 posted 2006-05-05 01:54 PM

BROTHER JOHN
Life is often like a flip of a coin. Enjoyed

BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

6 posted 2006-05-05 03:23 PM

Dear Seymour,

Thanks for stopping by.  I read that a coin comes up heads more than tails since the head side is weighted more.  It seems to me the reverse would be true.  Some flip saying, "Heads I win, tails you lose!"  LOL

Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
7 posted 2006-05-05 04:16 PM

Brother John, is that heads or tails thing like saying, "When I'm right I'm right, and when I'm wrong, I'm still right!"  ??

(My father-in-law's philosophy. LOL)

I am still not sure where you were going with this poem. Church and decree should hold much more than pedigree...did I get that right?

~Klassy

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
8 posted 2006-05-05 06:06 PM

I enjoyed this very much
BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

9 posted 2006-05-05 06:34 PM

Dear Klassy Lassy,

How often are hidden the ways we really live. I know that I've done or said things and then say, I cannot believe I said that or did that. Yet, I did! But human nature is what it is.  But then I guess I am making excuses for myself.

O how sharp your mind is!!  It is on thy minded sharpness I shall hone my words. You are so right!!!!  Pedigree means lineage or ancestory. Today it carries with it the meaning of high breed or pure breed. You have driven me to the dictionary again and I thank you so kindly. My dictionary does say that in a figure of speech it may mean "a way to describe an appearance."

As you know, I write in sonnet form. I am new at this. I am a learner. The sonnet limits what can be said and you have noted that my wording is far from clear.

This is no take off on churches.  I believe that in the dream, the church is just a symbol for a group of people.  The church speaks of service to humanity. I think in large it does service.

But often ones will seek a comfort zone and I see the last lines of the poem depicting this, really in a humorous way.

So for me, I will have to rethink and rewrite this in the future.  O how many times have I done this and each time they seem to come out differently.  But I do not mind it for it is an adventure to see what will be.

Thank you!

BugBuggy
since 2005-12-19
Posts 130
michigan
10 posted 2006-05-05 06:38 PM

enjoyed this quite different I would say but still enjoyed it thank you for sharing

BugBuggy

Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
11 posted 2006-05-05 06:42 PM

BROTHER JOHN
You got me on the weight of the coin, but I think life is like that too. LOL

BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

12 posted 2006-05-05 07:01 PM

Dear Seymour,

Please do not quote me on the coin's weight. One source doth not state the truth.  I guess I was preaching and not teaching.  One can preach an hour and not say a thing.  I taught school for many years and in the classroom, the teacher better "know" something. So on the coin, I was just preaching!

BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

13 posted 2006-05-05 07:27 PM

Passing Shadows,

As I read your comment, it hit me that "The Comfort Zone" is the flip side of the poem on the cutting edge.

Some may take this poem as a writing against a church. It is not, but I was shown in a humorous way, in the dream, a part of the nature of people. Scott Peck,in his book (THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED) states, through his work with people for many years, that he believes laziness is the original sin.

The Christian symbol is the cross and this is far from laziness. Yet, we all, at times, want the "pew" instead of the cross.

Thanks for coming by.

BROTHER JOHN
since 2006-04-06
Posts 386

14 posted 2006-05-05 07:35 PM

Dear Bug,

Thanks for stopping by and your comments. I have had some very unusal dreams in my life. On this one,  I have to laugh because it does picture in a humorous way, as Scott Peck would say, the road less traveled has few wayfarers.  We all at times seek the comfort zone.

Thanks again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #37 » The Comfort Zone

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary