navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » Home For The Holidays
Open Poetry #36
Post A Reply Post New Topic Home For The Holidays Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows

0 posted 2005-12-23 01:44 PM

It’s Christmas in the Coliseum,
pretty banners everywhere,
it’s Christmas in the Coliseum
and all the fans are there.

Nero’s still learning the fiddle,
playing songs nobody can sing,
the grounds crew’s getting it ready
raking clean sand in the ring.

He’s got Christians lighting the roadways,
they bring a warm glow to the night,
everybody feels welcome,
it’s a holiday delight.

At the Temple the Virgins are smiling,
wearing flowers in their hair,

Old gods and goddesses are laughing
at the tricks they play on the young;
the Christians pray to their one god
and the games have just begun.

Everybody is cheering
for the lions and tigers and bears,
these are the kind of good times
everybody shares.

Backstage the Christians are waiting
acting like they haven’t a care,

©2005 by icebox

© Copyright 2005 icebox - All Rights Reserved
Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
1 posted 2005-12-23 02:07 PM

Well written....gosh, imagine how it must
have been for them...

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
2 posted 2005-12-23 02:11 PM

Oh Icebox. I don't often post a replyto you, but this is just too much. What a mind! Just thinking of this scene and knowing they thought it great sport. Oh my.. .You do know I read everything you write and am in awe so have a hard time answering you. Best to you martyjo

[This message has been edited by latearrival (12-24-2005 03:12 AM).]

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
3 posted 2005-12-23 07:12 PM

Thank you both very much for reading my poem and for your comments.  I do appreciate your thoughts and the time it takes.  Have a great season.
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
4 posted 2005-12-24 11:48 PM

icebox

Thanks for the trip back in time...you always have so much to give of life and times with your words.  I hope your Christmas gives you some peace and rest.  

Bodger
since 2005-06-12
Posts 1260
Tolerance for a short time
5 posted 2005-12-25 11:54 AM

Your words are superb

You're not an Auditor, are you???

Dave

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2005-12-25 03:24 PM

*smile*

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2005-12-25 09:09 PM

Indeed - Back to basics, so to speak... Happy Holidays to you, dear icebox...
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
8 posted 2005-12-25 10:08 PM

Mr. C., I believe you're right on with this one (if you are making an analogy with the present times).  Kind of funny, today I was talking with a friend of mine (sort of a mystic) and we were talking about Jesus' true birthday.  He said he figured it was August the 22nd, not today.  It doesn't much matter to me really (even though I still observe all the usual tradition), but I have to admit I do enjoy candle lighting on December 24th.  Watched the CNN special last night on the Two Marys; did you see it?  Times are changing, thank goodness; it is time.  Eventually, we will know more than we probably ever wanted to know. & Merry Everything.....jo

Back again.  This  poem had me so stirred that I did a little research and found this:

"The following account was written by the Roman historian Tacitus in his book Annals published a few years after the event. Tacitus was a young boy living in Rome during the time of the persecutions.

"Therefore, to stop the rumor [that he had set Rome on fire], he [Emperor Nero] falsely charged with guilt, and punished with the most fearful tortures, the persons commonly called Christians, who were [generally] hated for their enormities. Christus, the founder of that name, was put to death as a criminal by Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judea, in the reign of Tiberius, but the pernicious superstition - repressed for a time, broke out yet again, not only through Judea, - where the mischief originated, but through the city of Rome also, whither all things horrible and disgraceful flow from all quarters, as to a common receptacle, and where they are encouraged. Accordingly first those were arrested who confessed they were Christians; next on their information, a vast multitude were convicted, not so much on the charge of burning the city, as of "hating the human race."

In their very deaths they were made the subjects of sport: for they were covered with the hides of wild beasts, and worried to death by dogs, or nailed to crosses, or set fire to, and when the day waned, burned to serve for the evening lights. Nero offered his own garden players for the spectacle, and exhibited a Circensian game, indiscriminately mingling with the common people in the dress of a charioteer, or else standing in his chariot. For this cause a feeling of compassion arose towards the sufferers, though guilty and deserving of exemplary capital punishment, because they seemed not to be cut off for the public good, but were victims of the ferocity of one man." taken from http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/christians.htm  .     I may never light a candle again at Christmas eve services (I have to wonder how that tradition developed).

[This message has been edited by iliana (12-25-2005 11:16 PM).]

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
9 posted 2005-12-26 12:21 PM

Thanks agin to all of you for reading this little poem.

...and Jo...

The lighting of fires on Zoaraster's birthday pre-dates both Nero and the Christ by many hundreds of years.  

The real gift of the Magi was advice on the fine points of not making the mistakes that the Zoarasterian warrior priests had made which led to the almost total annihilation of the believers at the swords of the Muslims.

By the time that the leaders realized that agape and not war was the only real long term answer, the Roman civilization (built on war) was too strong to challenge directly.  

The Infinite Soul was again needed for the adjustment of the message.  A deal was cut with a highly evolved soul who agreed to position his life in a way that the Infinite Soul could take over for a couple of years and try again to move the collective human spirit a little further along the path.  From the time the swap was made (around the water into wine trick) all roads truly led to Rome.  By the time of the loaves and fishes gig, the Infinite Soul was fully in charge.

The Magi showed up much earlier to be sure that the kid in Judea was the right one.  Convinced of that they brought the gift of wisdom to be shared with him if he lived to adulthood, a small amount of cash and more importantly some tips on how to gather a small number of followers who would provide support.  Also, some information on healing (myrrh among other herbal tools) methods to assist in intellectual focus (frankincense among other methods)and information on places to go for training.  What came on its own with growth into adulthood, was memory of the arrangement.

Over time, much has been lost; the "message" became distorted again sometimes through greed and sometimes with all good intentions, and 2000 years of madness and joy has broughht us to today by a road paved with the bones of millions of believers, lit by the burning thoughts of a relative handful those who remember.

Just some light thoughts on the evening of memory of Earth, Wind, Water and Fire.

Seasons greeting to you all.

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
10 posted 2005-12-26 12:50 PM

Mr. C.  And thanks.
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
11 posted 2005-12-26 11:59 PM

Now, I just watched a show on the crucifixion, oddly enough, was aired on a religious channel here, couldn't sleep, forced to watch it, but it was the best rendition I have seen.

Showed them all as people, showed the killings, the truth,  It floored me and also thanks to our local library --> Eddie - I was able to see a most amazing roots of Christmas from the History Channel that dates everything to the original Pagan celebrations and that if shepherds were out tending their sheep, it hardly could have been cold out.  The special is amazing, until it gets to the disgusting Americanized (actually I think German, then British, then American) versions of Christmas and the fact that the Romans could not by far top the original celebrations, so they just kind of stole the pre-existing ones and made up the rest as they went along.

Icey?  When I first read, it reminded me of the gladiators . . .

[This message has been edited by littlewing (12-27-2005 12:00 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » Home For The Holidays

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary