navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » The Lamentable Mr. Williams
Open Poetry #36
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Lamentable Mr. Williams Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass

0 posted 2005-12-14 05:40 PM

The Lamentable Mr. Williams

I don’t want you to think I’ll enjoy what I say here
but there’s something in play here
and I can’t end my day here without pointing out too:
Sir, we’re better without you.

Sure, the useable idiots tried to belay it
or at worst to delay it,
“Oh we can’t execute him, he’s acting so nice now:”
Their most common device now.

So, without wading into a rambling rant,
I say, too bad we can’t
slaughter every murdering gangbanger wookie--
but at least we got Tookie.

[This message has been edited by Ratleader (12-14-2005 10:19 PM).]

© Copyright 2005 Ed Ratledge - All Rights Reserved
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
1 posted 2005-12-14 07:42 PM

-ing YOU !!

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*No matter what I search for ...
let me know when it is LOVE that I find*~ <))><

Email -       noles1@totcon.com       

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
2 posted 2005-12-14 09:05 PM

Ed....I don't believe that capital punishment solves anything....!  The second time I read this I noticed you called him sir.  Even if he only became a sir in his own eyes, that's something good!  Respect solves many things!!
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
3 posted 2005-12-14 09:23 PM

Not the way we do it now, that's true....in California it's a one in twenty-thousand chance of actually being punished for your crime, even if you're convicted, and even then you get to live on for 30 years while they play appeal tag. The four people he tied up and shot, never got that chance. They're dead, and he got to live on for decades. Worse, almost no one now actually connects the crime with the punishment, so there's no deterrent effect at all.

You're right, whether a person believes in it or not, it's pointless to have capital punishment if that's how we do it.

....but....that's a royal Sir...at a visceral level I don't really accept him as being from the same species I am, let alone giving the slightest actual respect.

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
4 posted 2005-12-14 11:47 PM

Sometimes a stance is just that..and even death can't bring back the dead.

However

if it's justice we seek....

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
5 posted 2005-12-15 09:19 AM

Because of the proximity of the dates, I can't separate what happened in California with what happened here... both recently and a year ago. The scum that murdered my friend got "life"... rather ironic after taking Billy's so needlessly?

I can applaud the lamentable Mr. Williams for his anti-gang books... but fail to see how we're supposed to believe there was reformation when there was never any remorse.

Capital punishment will never be a deterrent to crime as long as criminals get to out-live their victims for decades... but jail cell celebrity is pitiful punishment, indeed.

There were victims in this scenario... Tookie wasn't one of them. I just wish someone would oil the wheels of justice so they'd turn more quickly!

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
6 posted 2005-12-15 10:07 AM

I know the story of that murder -- your friend was doing something noble, as one would expect a friend of Suthern's to do....and that cretin killed him for it.

Yes, there are crimes so hideous that anyone who commits them forfeits their right to live on as a human being. Tookie did that four times over, and the gang he founded is responsible for thousands more.

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
7 posted 2005-12-15 10:18 AM

karma sometimes is as undeniable as a freight train.

I do not think we disagree on this event, but I do think there is a better overall approach.  this society simply has become too childlike to stand up.

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

8 posted 2005-12-15 10:23 AM

not only your poem, but all the comments as well.....

Icebox....amen

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
9 posted 2005-12-15 10:48 AM

Amen the amen, 'box -- you nailed it.

He was a dyed-in-the-wool sociopath, interested only in himself, and no other person counted more to him than a road cone...to be steered around if it might dent your car, driven over if you feel like it. That said, no amount of mock sweetness-and-light, no number of books "written" at the ghostwriter's initiative, changes the fact that he did the deed, and the deed has a penalty.

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
10 posted 2005-12-15 10:53 AM

Thank you, LeeJ! First person to mention the poem!

Of course, polemic verse isn't meant to be deathless -- heck, somebody posted a link to Eugene McCarthy's poetry over in Announcements, and it's living proof of just how immature time can make a polemic poet look....

But, that said, I believe it's absolutely necessary that anyone who writes a polemic type of verse, should take the time to create an actual poem with some craft to it, not just use the fact that it's rhymed as cover to lob stinkbombs....so I was careful with the cadence, careful with the rhyme, and tried to make it a poem that works.

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
11 posted 2005-12-16 01:39 PM

Ah, yes... the poem ... Ahem!!! *G*

Can I help it that I was concentrating so much on trying to herd the spew of words that dripped from my fingers (there was need to limit my own lob of stinkbombs LOL) that I forgot to mention the poem???? Talk about lamentable! *S*

It's not that I didn't notice more than the content of your poem... I just let spitting mad take precedence over dancing with glee... but I waltz now to a joyful chant... you rhymed, you rhymed, YOU RHYMED!!! *S*

And you proved, of course, that your not rhyming often is a matter of choice... for you're a master at weaving rhyme and rhythm into a flawless flow of words... again reminding us what poetry is all about. *S*

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
12 posted 2005-12-16 11:48 PM

Ed,

Distance lends enchantment, even to horror.
Mercy is easy, when it’s not your loved one in the coffin.
Capital punishment may not be a deterrent as others would have it
yet fathers and mothers are willing to give law a hearing
rather than go after those butchers who murdered their sons and daughters
for all their pleading.

John

P.S.
Now we'll both burn in Hell.
At least we won't have any trouble getting a light.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » The Lamentable Mr. Williams

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary