navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » gown of fog hounds
Open Poetry #36
Post A Reply Post New Topic gown of fog hounds Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dark Stranger
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-19
Posts 13631
West Coast

0 posted 2005-11-15 08:46 AM

o' blistery of a gowen's perch
hazed sides of cypress obscurity
dare I know your shimmering umbrella
when you are the dancer of pacific abut

you who fingers the cellophane sitar
with bowless bravado
to stir the wind's hooves on eaves
just enough to camphorate the mornings

that wait in the bellies of the fog hounds
for the birthing crescendos ignition
wet sigh pressured into the undulation
to be a purple mane's dawning

and of the gravel you sprinkle there
to elucidate the mollusk's lumination
as she pries her pine feet from horizons
to free fall from astylar dawdling

just for the worship of a sea man's coquetry

_________
daark

scribblenote:  off the wormwood of gaviota's launchery, the siren of vapor becoats her chosen, as sire of the leather highway

[This message has been edited by Dark Stranger (11-15-2005 09:58 AM).]

© Copyright 2005 ©Dark 2k - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2005-11-15 09:32 AM

You bring me home, like no one else can...

Thank you for this, today.

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

2 posted 2005-11-15 10:23 AM

wet sigh pressured into the undulation
to be a purple mane's dawning

and of the gravel you sprinkle there
to elucidate the mollusk's lumination
as she pries her pine feet from horizons
to free fall from astylar dawdling

just for the worship of a sea man's coquetry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
as you know, I adore when a poet teaches me new words..so now, after reading this gem, consider me moth giddy. lol
awesome vocabulary and imagery poet sir...
has anyone ever told you that you rock?
yeah... youve prolly heard that somewhere before.

Thru the water...thru the rain
To the soul of everything
Throw my heart out on the stones
And I'm almost gone

D.Gray

Dark Stranger
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-19
Posts 13631
West Coast
3 posted 2005-11-15 10:30 AM

ms sunshine, thank you for the tour of this avenue..your eyes have seen it before..perhaps when you were a morning breeze

_________

ms jm..I have been told yes that there were rocks in my head...or was it hard headed..something to do with stoned perhaps..you bless me ms butterfly with the pendant of your reviews, thanks to you

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
4 posted 2005-11-15 11:04 AM

Dear Dark One

Through the pass of your mind, your words take the wind and clean the sky until all is beautiful!  

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
5 posted 2005-11-16 02:01 PM

Dark Stranger, I enjoyed all the aspects of your poem that are little affected by meaning: imagery, natural rhythm, near rhymes, its enigma, to mention some.  As regards the meaning, I was very unsure.  Please bear with my humble attempt (partly in note form) to unravel this complex, but intriguing poem:  

Perhaps it isn’t meant to be analysed, and is a stream of consciousness poem and I am on a wild goose chase.  However, I am enjoying trying to understand it, so forgive me if I am completely wrong.

A play on fox hounds – fog because it is usually regarded as negative, and it is referring to early morning mist and because mist and fog cause poor visibility and those in favour of fox-hunting cloud the issue with complexities to try to justify the existence of fox-hunting?

I can’t work out who the “you” in the first stanza is – is it the same as the “you” in the second stanza?  - The hornblower (I don’t know what the correct term is) that calls the hounds to action in fox-hunting?  Or the bark of the cypress tree/s in the early morning mist?  Or something from the first line (it is beautiful and flows well, but I can’t even begin to guess its meaning - My dictionary tells me that gowan is a a yellow or white fieldflower – a daisy, ranunculus or marigold.  Perhaps gowen is a version of that, but then if that is what you mean, I am lost on how any of those flowers would be perched in a tree (or anywhere else) as none of them are parasites.  The apostrophe in o’ doesn’t seem to mean “of” because of the “of” after “blistery”.  Perhaps it is substituting the h in “oh”.  I don’t know what you mean by “blistery”.  Perhaps coined from “blustery”.  Perhaps the wind has blown the flower into the cypress or somewhere else.  “Hazed” and “obscurity” because of the morning mists?

Perhaps the hornblower is the symbol of all in favour of fox-hunting.

Cypress – a tree often found in cemeteries - symbolizing the death of the fox?

Umbrella is shimmering because of the rain/mist/fog, but I think you mean umbrella metaphorically here.  I think you are saying: dare you know what his/her thought encompasses when he/she is dancing (backwards and forwards – on either side of the fence – as in fence-sitting) between the boundaries of peace and blood sport?

Although abut is a verb, it seems that you have coined it as a noun here - and effectively.

Presumably the sitar symbolizes the horn that calls the fox hounds.  Cellophane because one can see through the intentions of the hornblower.  Bowless, because a sitar is usually played with a bow (though I think sometimes plucked) and a horn not.  Bravado because it doesn’t require courage to chase one little fox with so many hounds, horses and people.

Eaves?  I can’t guess why you use this word – perhaps as the hounds leave the kennels, their speed and number send earth into the eaves of the building and perhaps camphorate refers to freshening air with wet earth smells.

The hooves relate (indirectly because you say the wind’s hooves) to the hooves of  the horses in the fox hunt.  

What waits in the bellies of the hounds is the freshened air that encourages them to go rushing off to find the fox?

Birthing crescendos ignition – the baying of the fox hounds gets louder and louder as they start running.

Wet sigh – wet noses – sigh – their breathlessness?

Undulation – the rise and fall of their baying?  The line curving wave-like line the bounding hounds create?

Purple mane’s dawning – fox-hunting starts early in the morning – purple dawn streaks of light on the crests of hills?

I think the “you” in the last stanza is the pack of hounds and “the gravel you sprinkle there” is the gravel that sprays up as the hounds bound away from the Meet.

I think you are referring to the moon as a shell as it sinks slowly behind pine trees while the sun rises.  I don’t know if it was intentional to spell mollusc with a k, perhaps to give it a sense of uniqueness.

I think that the second-last line means to sink away from the stars.  I’m not sure whether you meant “stellar” or whether you coined the word “astylar”.

Perhaps there was something in the British newspapers recently about a sea captain (or one in name, I don’t know whether Prince Charles has such a title, but if he does, perhaps him) who takes part in fox-hunting for his amusement.

I can’t make head or foxtail of the scribblenote, but would love an explanation (also of the poem, as I am probably far off track) if that is OK with you – the leather highway maybe refers to the leather of saddles and the highway being the path of the foxhunt.  Launch, siren and vapor seem to suggest a continuation of the sea captain imagery.  Becoats seems to suggest the hunting jackets worn by the riders in the foxhunt – as well as vapor/becoats suggesting the morning mist.  Wormwood, my dictionary tells me, is a bitter herb used in the preparation of some alcoholic drinks and medicine.

If you would rather not reveal the enigmas, I won't be in the least offended, but if you are fine with that, I would love to know whether anything (at all?) I have written is correct.  Whether or not, I still enjoyed your poem and had great fun attempting to figure it out.

- Owl

Dark Stranger
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-19
Posts 13631
West Coast
6 posted 2005-11-16 04:53 PM

Friendly Owl..I love the view you generated with your comments...true story was it was foggy here at the california coast (gaviota) the other day..I saw the fog moving over the cypress as hounds hunting..the leather highway is what us harley riders see in misty mornings, those wet roads that look like shoe polished leather..the ocean was moaning at the moorings of the pier...like the siren that used to whisper to the seafarers..etc etc..

o' is oh..blistery is blistered rock under the gowen' cypress on a cliff there

but damn I like the fox hunt idea..

sincere appreciation

D

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
7 posted 2005-11-17 12:01 PM

Giggles and more giggles at how wrong I was - but as I said, it was fun.  Thank you so much for the explanation.

- Owl

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2005-11-17 12:05 PM

DS...

Owl's comment has to be one of the longest
WOW's you've ever received...

I certainly appreciated that poet's take on your winding words...

Dark Stranger
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-19
Posts 13631
West Coast
9 posted 2005-11-17 04:26 PM

friendly owl, thanks again and the giggles are always fun..

ms sunshine..yes the owl blessed me..and gave me a whole new view of my medicated experience..thanks lady

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » gown of fog hounds

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary