navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #35 » Aunt Neta
Open Poetry #35
Post A Reply Post New Topic Aunt Neta Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought

0 posted 2005-05-04 02:41 AM

You used to stand so tall.
Never proud, but you were
full of life and memories,
that even sad
could make you smile.

You taught me how to whisper
and I remember,
still,
how you told me it was
only for important words -
and giggling was good,
you said,
that I should whisper more.

I do.

And act like I'm a little girl,
not the gossip or the pink,
but grinning -
like you said I should...
Then tip-toe out of bed
pretending I might save
the world.

I won't.

And may not even save myself -
losing ground to
fears and things so frivolous.
Still, I'm caught
with pony-tails and
teddy bears, whispering
when I grow up
I want to be
like you.

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

© Copyright 2005 GG - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2005-05-04 02:55 AM

Aunt Neta gave you quite a gift, and I'm very glad you whispered your words to share with us.

But I have to quibble one teeny point--as lovely a being as Aunt Neta may have been, (or is, forgive me I err) if I had my druthers, I'd druther have you be yourself.

Because you are, after all, God's girl. And I'd not change a thing.

But nod, this read like a whisper, and yes, "whisper more" ma'am.

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
2 posted 2005-05-04 03:14 AM

I was just going to tell you to go read what Karen just wrote because between the both of you I am sitting here with tears in my eyes . . .

You guys hit me right to the core this evening and Alyssa?  This reminded me soooo very much of someone I loved and lost not very long ago.

(Psst . . . she IS proud.)

What beautiful special women the both of you are.

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
3 posted 2005-05-04 03:28 AM

Ser,
thank you. As always you're just too kind! Been away and not been able to write much but I was thinking of Aunt Neta and couldn't resist to tell about her.

She's the last living of my "great" relatives, the ones I grew up with, but her age is showing now. She just recently let us know she wants to move into a care facility 'cause it's just too hard to take care of herself. Aunt Neta is one of those ladies where you walk into her old messy, stinky house and find her sitting in her chair surrounded by pictures, and you immediately feel at home. So sweet you'd almost think she's fake, but she means it all. She can tell stories for hours and though she may lavish them a bit in the gaps of what age has brought her to forget, you'd never lose interest.  Married to my one-armed Uncle Vern for over 60 years before he died. She makes a bit less sense now, though. It's so sad to see the life slowly slipping out of her. Ahh I didn't mean to go on and on. She's just a beautiful lady.

Anyway, again, thank you

Always, Alyssa

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
4 posted 2005-05-04 03:30 AM

this is just...
beautiful,
yes

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
5 posted 2005-05-04 03:51 AM

Sue,
it was after reading her write that I knew I needed to finish this one. I'm sorry you lost someone recently... goodness I hate the pain of that. I'm glad I haven't lost Aunt Neta. Know what, I'll bet the person this reminded you of is proud of you, too Thank ya dear.

Dix,
As are you. Take care...

Always, Alyssa

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
6 posted 2005-05-04 10:32 AM

You used to stand so tall.
Never proud, but you were
full of life and memories,
that even sad
could make you smile.

She sounds like an extraordinary person.  This reminds me so much of my dad.  I remember him limping terribly, maintaining the purest smile on his face.   I have often thought I would write about his limp.  Think I will today, matter-of-fact.  Thanks for the inspiration, GG.
              cathy

Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

7 posted 2005-05-04 03:28 PM

touching this love that pours from your heart pen dear gal...

Lovely writing Alyssa.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
8 posted 2005-05-04 03:37 PM

Cherish the ones that help mold you and then pass it on..

She gets to read this right?  

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2005-05-04 03:39 PM

Yes, dear, do send this to her, and with it,
send our best regards for a life well lived,
and a story well told.

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
10 posted 2005-05-04 03:46 PM

Such beautiful beautiful heartfelt writing..
I so much enjoyed reading of your Aunt Neta..
and you told of her in a lovely whisper voice.
Hugs~Nancy

Life is one great big canvas;
throw all the paint on it you can.
                    -Danny Kaye

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

11 posted 2005-05-05 12:01 PM

You taught me how to whisper
and I remember,
still,
how you told me it was
only for important words -
and giggling was good,
you said,
that I should whisper more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just loved that verse...
you write with such emotional honesty and devotion of whatever muse you are inspired by. A wonderful tribute to someone who has influenced you with grace. Good to read you again.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
12 posted 2005-05-05 10:02 PM

a beautiful write and an even more important lesson. adulthood is overrated
GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
13 posted 2005-05-06 06:50 PM

cathy,
I have to leave in a few minutes, but when I get back I'll look around to see if I can find that poem, I hope you posted it! Aunt Neta is the same, she can't walk all too well now but she still always has a smile and even in the most terrible of times she puts herself aside (without letting them walk all over her) and does everything she can to help whoever is around her. Glad I inspired you, and glad you had someone like her in your life as well

Gentle Spirit,
the pen just can't help but to be full of love when I write about her. I had nothing to do with it - she's the poetry! Thanks for your kind reply...

Always, Alyssa

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
14 posted 2005-05-06 07:00 PM

Susan and Sunshine,
I knew someone was gonna bring that up. And yes, I suppose the good thing to do would be to let her read it. She only lives a mile or two from me and I could ride my bike over and give it to her. Now would be a good time, too... She called me early this afternoon and let me know her daughter died this morning. This'll be the 3rd child she'll bury ...and even when she called she noticed the time and said "It's school time, are you not feeling well? Oh I wish they could find something to help you not hurt so much." She can barely remember my name but still remember who I am and prays for me. So, yes, I'll work on convincing myself to show this to her... she deserves it, and more. Thanks for your replies and telling me to do what I didn't want to.

Always, Alyssa

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
15 posted 2005-05-06 07:11 PM

Nancy,
she's a beautiful lady, so it's her fault if this turned out beautiful, not mine! Thank you very much for taking my poor words and looking past them to see how great she is. Yep, thank you.

JM,
you know the cool part about the poem is that it's a true story. It isn't an analogy for learning to speak with grace, she actually gave me whispering lessons! I was probably 10 years old, and I was helping her clean up her kitchen and she told me what you're supposed to do to whisper clearly and how it seems to be a lost art nowadays. How whispering is a special kind of intimacy not just for love but for making someone feel valuable and for having good clean childlike fun. (I can't help but brag about her.) I always love your replies, so thank you much for stopping by

Raph,
I agree. I'm trying to learn to be young again 'cause I was one of those grown-up six-year-olds... could you give me some lessons? *grin* lol ...thanks for your reply, sir.

Always, Alyssa

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #35 » Aunt Neta

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary