navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #33 » Riding Waves and Shark Attacks
Open Poetry #33
Post A Reply Post New Topic Riding Waves and Shark Attacks Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA

0 posted 2004-10-11 10:56 PM

Riding the Waves
and Shark Attacks

She wanted to go
to the beach,
where the silky
waters flow.
She in her
brand new bikini,
me in my trusty
old speedo's.

The sun was
prepared to cook us
properly upon
front and back,
I was prepared to
ride the waves
and fight off
shark attacks.

JamesLee
October10
We had another shark
attack in Hawaii on
Saturday, on the island
of Molokai...in murky
waters, a diver received
severe wounds to his
left shoulder...he fought
off a twelve foot shark
with his speargun.
These kind of attacks
seem to usually happen
in murky water...warning,
murky water can make you
especially vulnerable
to shark attacks...
this is not meant
to scare anyone,
just to educate.

© Copyright 2004 JamesMichael - All Rights Reserved
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

1 posted 2004-10-12 06:44 AM

thank you for the awareness...I understand, diving in murky waters presents a hazard, as Sharks do not mean to attack people...as humans are not part of their food chain...but, more so, they mistake humans as a seal, fish, etc...sharks are needed to keep the ecology of the great waters of the sea in balance...I suppose it's like anything else...we fear greatly what we don't understand, and when attacked by sharks, we fear them...but the truth of the matter is, we take that chance when we dive...we are in their territory, and when they attack us...we want to kill them...but if we do, the ecology of our seas will diminsih...everything has a purpose, and it is unwise to break that fragile thread that binds.

Good write...I hope the diver is ok.  

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
2 posted 2004-10-13 01:48 AM

Nice information LeeJ...I'm keeping an eye on the newspaper for information on the diver...personally I don't trust sharks, especially twelve foot sharks, but I understand there importance in the ocean...James
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2004-10-13 11:00 PM

In Hawaii, I was afraid to go in the ocean, even though that is why I went. On the same island a long time ago, the second day we were there a young man was brought up onto the shore and the sight of that poor kid kept me from ever going into another ocean. The shark that day was sure not even 12 feet, so this person you speak of was very lucky, or fought well.  

A good warning James Michael - thank you.

~ Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self ~ Cyril Connolly

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2004-10-13 11:41 PM

Mysteria I'm not scared of going into the ocean to swim or scuba dive...my intentions are definately not to create fear...but swimming in a murky ocean is definately not wise...no one would go into the jungle in Africa without taking some precautions to protect themselves from wild tigers or lions...and so the ocean goes....be safe and wise...this reminded me of a childhood story...I was probably about ten years old...living in Florida and I decided I was going to take an inner tube ride across the bay...about half way across I noticed a fin coming towards me...I turned that innner tube around and paddled back to shore as fast as I could...still not sure what it was...but in my mind I wasn't going to wait around to find out...James
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #33 » Riding Waves and Shark Attacks

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary