navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » Numb Horizon. an ode to progress in the 21st century
Dark Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Numb Horizon. an ode to progress in the 21st century Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland

0 posted 2000-05-31 05:14 PM

Disgust comes in lowland forms
immortalised  on celluloid screen.
Mechanical butchers serve up death to your children.
Furnaces blazing across the blood clot river
as corpses float under.
Your fattened pigs were slain in battle.
The golden calf spared as a world
of starving turn on to their own,
withering like aliens, fat torn off
and tightened on skeletal frames.
If dressed up accessorised and painted white
we could march them down Milan catwalks.

Every teenage girl wants to be a famine victim.
Smiling from your sleepy eyes,
speaking in strangling husks of cigarette smoke
and mumbling and spinning dazed in alcohol.
I fought against these twig-like insects.
Celebrating in your nights of debauchery:
The twenty-first century morality.
Every day false perceptions of wholesome families
sedate us with mindless images; love comes as chemicals.
Polish up the poison fruit life wasted in dream like states.
Laboratory manufacture the perfect race.
factory children swim in glass wombs,
Godlike children. Why couldn’t I have been one?

------------------------
"Here chewing your tail is joy"

Richey Edwards

"Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time".

Baltimore Grotto

"Will you accuse me as I hide Behind these layers of disguise And the mirrors of my own happiness.I've loved the freedom of being inside
Need a new start and a different time
Something grows in the space between me
And it's twisting and changing this fragile body" -Nicky Wire

© Copyright 2000 brian madden - All Rights Reserved
Jana Tovey
since 2000-05-30
Posts 257
USA
1 posted 2000-05-31 05:28 PM

I can relate to these images.  The scare me, especially when I'm feeling nostalgic and kind of frail.  There's a new world coming, though.  I guess this lot are just preparing to embrace it.
Jeffyf
since 2000-05-28
Posts 49
Muncie, IN
2 posted 2000-05-31 07:41 PM

Such a dark picture you paint of the picture.  It makes you stop and think, is this what we are doing to our world?  It's a frightful sad condition, and with the people of this world, one that unfortunately cannot be cured.  Wonderful insight.
Jeff

Swåmp¤Faerÿie
since 2000-03-29
Posts 358
Illinois
3 posted 2000-05-31 09:00 PM

YIKES!! This is EXACTLY what we are doing to the earth. Of all creatures,humans are the most dangerous,put us on a paradise and we'll turn it into instant hell within a week. Are we a pathetic race or what??¿ This subject angers me greatly....especialy when i think of the stregnth the earth puts forth to continue to support us,and what do you suppose we do??¿ And for all our destruction the earth still holds it's beauty....isn't it amazing??¿ Your poem will make alot of people think!! And that's exactly what we need to do.....think.

swamp

And there she weaves by night and day,
a magic web of colours gay.~Tennyson

Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
4 posted 2000-06-01 12:44 PM

Modern work , scary world.
Too much of a good thing?  We've gone too far...
Great work here Brian really gets the old brain thinking..  

I'll tell you this...... No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.....
~Isis~
(Goddess - Sovereign of the Spirit)

a-alibaster
since 2000-01-08
Posts 392

5 posted 2000-06-01 11:23 AM

Wonderful poem and so well written.
Every day I wonder what is wrong with our world and the ppl in it.
Steroe-type what beauty should be...thin, skeletal...say what the masses should think or feel...do not have dark thoughts, if you do you are evil...grow babies...do not have them in the traditional ways...too much pain so why bother with that...indians smoked cig.'s for years...but not if you do you have to pay through the nose and die as a result...science plays this so called "god"...clone and make things grow...but thats alright because we are the higher intelligence.......
OHHHHHHHHHH, when does it ever stop??? When will we just be human again???
Maybe Rob Zombie said it all...."MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN!"
I appolgies for the rant here...but it was nice to see that others think of things like this too.

There is an alter ego which
dwells in every soul...
a-alibaster

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
6 posted 2000-06-01 01:59 PM

Hi Jana, A New World coming? I guess in some senses yes, but I think the world is the same as always it is us that are changing. We are losing touch with the earth, our roots, and with our humanity. We are on the verge of becoming Gods, which is really scary. It is like leaving a little kid in a room with a red button that could detonate all the atomic bombs in the world and telling him not to push the button. We are still in our infancy, man knows nothing about life and his place in the greater scheme of things and that is what scares me the most. Thank you for your comment and for reading the poem

Jeffyf I don't believe it that we cannot cure the world, if the major powers on this planet want to they can stop a lot of the destruction happening. That is what makes me sick, we are the majority yet your voices have no power. Thanks for reading the poem, I am glad it gave you food for thought. Thanks for your comment.

Swåmp¤Faerÿie, That is one of my reasons for writing poetry, is to make people think. As a species we need a big wake up call. Thank your kind comments.  

Isis, glad you enjoyed the poem. It is one of my earlier darker poems, where I was basically hitting people over the head with the message, though sometimes the images need to be raw and obvious to be fully effective. Thank your for response.

a-alibaster thanks for your comments, I find it sick the way teenage girls starve to be like fashion models and yet places like Africa have people dying from famine. I can't say I am big fan of Rob zombie, but an album called the Holy Bible by Manic Street preachers was some of the inspiration for the poem, I think they summed it up in the song faster "So damn easy to cave in man kills everything". tahnks for your comments and for reading the poem.

thanks to everyone for their response it means alot.  

------------------------
"Here chewing your tail is joy"

Richey Edwards

"Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time".

Baltimore Grotto

"Will you accuse me as I hide Behind these layers of disguise And the mirrors of my own happiness.I've loved the freedom of being inside
Need a new start and a different time
Something grows in the space between me
And it's twisting and changing this fragile body" -Nicky Wire

Joel the wolf
since 2000-04-06
Posts 1333
Angels Camp
7 posted 2000-06-02 06:47 PM

Brian very inspirational writing, yes is a hammer on the brain.
Thanks.

Joel..

I howl a mournful song, that echos within my chambered heart, for all to read? nay for all to feel.

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

8 posted 2000-06-02 07:04 PM

That was a really good poem!

I can feel how you feel, about genetic engineering and the such.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » Numb Horizon. an ode to progress in the 21st century

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary