navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » For Understanding (first draft -- does this make sense?)
Dark Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic For Understanding (first draft -- does this make sense?) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans

0 posted 2000-01-30 06:35 PM

I had a rather disturbing idea the other day and this poem was it's child... please let me know if the poem conveys the idea clearly enough... thank you  

For Understanding

What if I with granite lips
Would kiss the barrel of a gun?
And what if I, with sullen face,
Pressed such against your mind?
What if I with apricot wrist
Made love to razor blade?
To sleep -- no more to wake...
All for the purpose of understanding.
Would they all forget who I am?
Would they deem me insane or perhaps
They'd claim they knew all along
That I was destined to crack?
Really I just want to know:
Tomorrow would you feel the same
To love this querying man
Who by daylight would be branded lunatic
By a society unmoved?
"He always was a little weird."
"We should have seen the signs."
Would newsmen presume to know me
Or to understand my heart and mind?
What would they say about me
And who would they convince
To dehumanize my memory
And you...
Yes you, sweet child...
Would you forget my name?
I'd risk it all to answer this:
    Would you love me still the same?

A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
~Coleridge

© Copyright 2000 Jerome Solomon - All Rights Reserved
Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
1 posted 2000-01-30 06:54 PM

This is a rather scary poem. Thinking about taking one's life, asking yourself who would miss you and if you'd be missed, especially by a child. Of course a child would miss you and still love you !
Great translation of feeling though !

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
2 posted 2000-01-30 07:12 PM

mundra:    i never thought that might be taken literally... the "child" i refer to was really meant to be seen as my lover (or girlfriend)... i am glad it got its point across though...   i was worried it wouldn't convey my odd ideas...

thank you,
jerome the boy with the blue thumb

~Coleridge

armanca
since 1999-07-07
Posts 211
Tennessee
3 posted 2000-01-30 07:43 PM

To assume to know someone...that is the most deadly thing to do.  For even us...the ones who write our poetry...It isn't always as it seems.  And thoughts can be just thoughts...ideas merely ideas.  Not with an essence of what makes the person..or what will begin and end a person.  And if someone knew me by my poetry alone...they would know only a pen drop.  Because I am many things...and my poetry reflects a piece of my mind...that can be silently heard.  *smile*  I loved this Jerome.  And it is a thought...that goes through many sane minds.  And it is not one that defines an individual.

Carman

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
4 posted 2000-01-30 08:15 PM

carman: to be praised by one so well-developed as a writer, i think i'm ready to take on shakespeare *waa haa haa*... but seriously, i do not think of suicide, but it occured to me the other day... everyone who kills themself, everyone who kills someone else is labelled "disturbed" and people start searching to understand "what drove them to do such a thing"... but what if i did it just to find out if they would start to search for reasons in my life? would people think differently of me tomorrow?... it's a disturbing thought... *heh*

anyway,
jerome the boy with no brain

~Coleridge

childomine
since 2000-01-25
Posts 818
st. petersburg, FL
5 posted 2000-01-30 08:32 PM

deeply thought provoking and right on que for those who have been to that dark place.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » For Understanding (first draft -- does this make sense?)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary