navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #32 » A poem for my son on his graduation
Open Poetry #32
Post A Reply Post New Topic A poem for my son on his graduation Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA

0 posted 2004-06-27 02:06 AM

My son, you have tested the waters of life,
I have found you wanting.
You have wrested the mantle of authority,
I have found you negligent.
You have taken my advice and found that it will not fit your needs.
You look on me as being old, much in the same way as I do.
We are not that different, you and I.
Congratulations!
You are not me,
and for that,
I am proud.

© Copyright 2004 William E.Kleist - All Rights Reserved
Kevo
since 2004-06-02
Posts 466
Navarro County, Texas, USA
1 posted 2004-06-27 02:27 AM

An incredibly thought-provoking, and profound message.  A wonderful gift to a son on his milestone.  And a wonderful gift to you...and I.  That invaluable gift of introspection, self-reflection.  You know the saying, "Walk on the rocks that I stumbled on."  I want so much for my son to have a better life than me.  He graduates next year.  I encourage him to follow his dreams.  Ideology that did not bode well with my parents in their dealings with me.  I haven't told him in a while.  Your poem reminds me of our candid talks and inspires me to remind him of my support.  Your son should be so lucky to have such a supportive, understanding, proud father.  Many are not that lucky.  Warm regards and thank you for the gift you have given me in your poignant words and message.

Warm regards,

Kevin

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
2 posted 2004-06-27 02:31 AM

Congrats on your son's graduation.  It is something now'a'day just to get them through school!  I can tell you put much thought into this poem.  I just had a daughter graduate last month and I know what you mean!   ......jo
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
3 posted 2004-06-27 10:45 AM

Doc

This made me smile with memories of my own sons at this special time.  Thank you!

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2004-06-27 03:34 PM

You sure reminded me of my son's graduation too, and all the dreams I had for him then actually did come to be reality.  I will hope your son has a wonderful future, and I can see he had indeed a wonderful foundation from a wonderful, caring father.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #32 » A poem for my son on his graduation

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary