navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #31 » No Child of Mine (for eor's domestic violence challenge)
Open Poetry #31
Post A Reply Post New Topic No Child of Mine (for eor's domestic violence challenge) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
muted
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-01-15
Posts 2949
Elapsing, Eclipsing, Evolving

0 posted 2004-02-14 12:07 PM

the perspective i wrote this from was that of the "neighbor" who lives next door to the abuser/abused. so many people ignore the "cry for help" because they think its not their responsibility, or they are too scared to get involved. this particular poem shows the indifference being taken over by the fear.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~

I see their dirty little faces smiling
as they’re digging up the bulbs
Id only just planted a week ago.
How those children run wild
no shoes, snotty noses and all that noise
bellowing from their semi toothless mouths.
I only wish someone would come and collect them
and let my garden rest,
but I should mind my own business
they’re no child of mine.
Soon enough they'll be forced inside,
with the curtains drawn
and the shouting shaking the windows.
Those bruised little legs know
how brutal "welcomes" can be
when quitting time runs late at the factory
and ten dollars have to get you through the week.
At night with my window opened just enough
to let the cool breeze in;
so often does it smuggle with it
the crying of unloved hearts
in tiny little chests, breathing
heavily from exhaustion.
How hard the work must be to raise the hand
to the wounded, the abandoned.
I’ll just close my eyes and hope
that dreaming will find the peace
needed from my long day of peeping
through the parting of my drapes.
And when morning comes in anxious hours
I wait to see their dirty little faces smiling
as they’re digging up the bulbs,
wishing somebody would take them away.....

© Copyright 2004 Dawn van Krieken-Smith - All Rights Reserved
Richy
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 3050

1 posted 2004-02-14 12:12 PM

This was heartbreaking Dawn
There's nothing worse then
poor innocent chilren being
mistreated. Thanks for writing
this Dawn. It really gives a
great message. I hope you have a
Happy Valentines Day!

Richy

Pilgrimage
Member Elite
since 2001-12-04
Posts 3945
Texas, USA
2 posted 2004-02-14 12:14 PM

This is heartbreaking. Over the years I've had neighbor children I've worried about, but if you never see or hear anything, you just have suspicions, what can you do?

Nan (Pilgrim variety)

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2004-02-14 01:07 AM

Great message in here, and when in this position, it is really hard to know what the right thing to do is, until you look into those children's eyes.  Challenge well met for sure!  Kudos
Endlessecho
since 2003-09-05
Posts 398
I live within myself
4 posted 2004-02-16 01:03 PM

Wow.  This is beautiful and heartfelt and really touching.  And so sadly true.  Wonderful and powerful peice!
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
5 posted 2004-02-16 01:07 PM

this rips me up
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
6 posted 2004-02-16 01:09 PM

So very very sad Dawn.
'Suffer the little children'....
Challenge well met.

Sadelite
Member Elite
since 2003-10-11
Posts 2519

7 posted 2004-02-16 01:13 PM

muted,
   I'm glad you took the challenge.   You did a fine job showing that perspective.  Unfortunately, it is so true.   All was great, but one line stood out for me in particular:
       "How hard the work must be to raise the hand to the wounded, the abandoned."
    nice writing...
                 sadie

Grover
since 2004-01-27
Posts 1967
London, ON, Canada
8 posted 2004-02-16 01:18 PM

Poignant... all to true! Grover.
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
9 posted 2004-03-22 04:59 AM

Goldenrose
Member Elite
since 2003-05-30
Posts 3665

10 posted 2004-03-22 05:09 AM

Dawn this is a very sad poem...but you have got across to us the reader exactly the message that was intended....so you have achieved your desire well....this speaks the truth about domestic violence and the helplessness felt by doing nothing...

Well written....

Thank you...

Goldenrose.

''Each soul is potentialy divine..the goal is to manifest that divinity''

MGROVES
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-02-01
Posts 3802
california
11 posted 2005-08-11 11:04 AM

when others see and do nothing, th abuser gets more confident and believes that no one  sees, no one would believe one who is trying to stop it all, the abuser excludes, isolates, lies about, yells, breaks things, throws things, hurts the young when they tell one  or cry for one.  i have been there,  not only from my own child hood, no one would believe you, but the divide and conquer games, all to  intimidate and place fear in one who only wants to stop. beatings, drugged, the extent to what they do to protect self  and they should be protecting family, drugs and alcohal do cruel things to people and in turn they do  cruel things. i am not allowed  as i tried to stop it. even as obvious as it is  and others who did call, which are now excluded also, because of neighbors or others see or hear.  never  making a call or report.  they gain strengh  and more lives are ruined.  people dont know what it is like to only want what is right, and play into the abusers  lies and denial  and  cruel justifications, and making  one look as if it was them,  even saying things to kids  to say  to protect abuser    abusers keep the abused close.    push away mothers   family   no school  even keep one wasted to be as them.   life sucks   and it has to stop.  not all abused   become abusers   some  as me  want to break cycle and stop   others as them   keep it going  as  no one  shall have more  or better   and need to hurt  as they did.  instead of realizing the pain and damage. and not wanting another to feel it.  sad and cruel  and brings so much sorrow  to me.  i will never give up    and will find a way to stop it  another form of terrorism  lives in our homes   and teaches  fear hate anger lies  blame  another   especially one they hurt.  please if  anyone sees  and knows  just  make a call  write a letter  save a child unjustice and unfairness has to stop  or this world will never have love and peace respect  humanityt  integrity  trust  love for all colors  or mankind  anything godly

My spirit will rise
above the sea~
There will be no drowning
of my soul or me~

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
12 posted 2005-08-11 03:22 PM

This is familiar when I was growing up......but we had neighbors who didn't care.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #31 » No Child of Mine (for eor's domestic violence challenge)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary