navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #30 » US
Open Poetry #30
Post A Reply Post New Topic US Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
stevebrklynnyc
since 2004-01-04
Posts 292
GA, Camden

0 posted 2004-01-13 05:49 PM

A smile from far away

No connection could ever be

Our souls never knowing where it would lead

Each one in denial

Only to regret the time we spent away

Hoping one would make the sacrifice

Neither one could comitt

Years of despair make us strong

Years make us leary

A new begining

Hope is strong

Take a chance on love

Life is short and unforgiving

A lake frosted over

Clear as day

Emotions run deep

Like ice on a lake

Reflections are forever

Ice is cold and harsh

Love is forever

This poem is stictly love based and meant for one person only.  She knows where I am coming from.  I know it may kind of suck, but it doesnt matter because she will know where I am coming from.  Thank you for the honest responses.  Steve.  P.S.  I am still new at this so give me some le-way, Thanx, Steve

© Copyright 2004 Stephen Capp - All Rights Reserved
Nahgied
since 2004-01-11
Posts 9

1 posted 2004-01-13 06:38 PM

i prefered this when read backwards:|

nice job

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
2 posted 2004-01-13 06:43 PM

Nahgied
I agree with you... love it  read in reverse...especially the first line becoming the ending
M

(Steve, I was hoping the person it was meant for would have responded before I did, but since someone else already has I thought it ok now...)

stevebrklynnyc
since 2004-01-04
Posts 292
GA, Camden
3 posted 2004-01-13 07:09 PM

Thank you all for the reply.  I really appreciate the feedback.  I am still learning on how to write poetry.  God knows it is not easy.  I will try harder.  Thanks for the input!
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
4 posted 2004-01-14 01:40 AM

Tried it backwards, too, and have to agree.  Nice write.
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

5 posted 2004-01-14 08:30 AM

backwards works, but it looses I think the intended meaning if constructed that way. As is it follows a time line of sorts, with events and decision ending in the last lines.

If you are just learning to write..or wanting to learn more, I'd suggest two things..
1. Read all you can of those poets who you like and see how and why you like what they do.
2.write... make yourself write if it is not yet a drive inside that gives you no choice.
the old addage that practice makes perfect has merit... I know looking back at the things I wrote when I started I sometimes wonder now..what was I doing? what was I thinking? practice does that to us... makes us ask and see our own...

now.. the poem itself makes sense..and since it is personal in nature and intended for one person.. I'd say you did a good job... frontwards...

there is enough backwards in the world as is..lol..

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
6 posted 2004-01-14 09:14 AM

Frontwards or backwards....still holds significant meaning...at least to me...does that mean I am the lucky winner?  

love you

(And for those of you that read backwards...what made you think to do that?..lol)

"if you won't let me fall for you
then you won't see the best that I would love to do for you"
~Dido~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #30 » US

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary