navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #30 » Monkeys have tales
Open Poetry #30
Post A Reply Post New Topic Monkeys have tales Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Necro Draconis
since 2000-05-19
Posts 115

0 posted 2004-01-04 08:41 PM

This ones really off beat for me, but I liked it

Monkey’s Have Tales

A chilly autumn breeze drifted across the pathway sending the fallen leaves spiraling into the air. The sky was gray with anticipation of the forthcoming rain. I slowly walked down the stone steps, massive columns of greens, yellows, and reds, lining either side sending their vibrant colors racing into my mind. I stopped here then there embracing the life that was before me, wondering how it all got here. The trees that were overhead sent their shadows dancing from one side to the other. I peered down the long pathway to a pond that was surrounded by a decorative fence. It was of Roman architecture, with the cement statues and pillars sending their bold reflections into the water as if to admire themselves. On top of the fence sat a shadowy figure. Struck by its presence I proceeded to move down the path to get a closer look. The closer I got the clearer the figure got. I soon realized that it was a small monkey with its light brown fur neatly groomed around its' body. It sat with its legs crossed, head down and a book in its' arms. It wore tiny wire rimmed gold glasses and appeared not to have noticed me. I walked right in front of him, still not noticing me I stopped. He drew his finger down the brown cracked pages of the book, concentrating not to miss a word. One he finished the page, he stopped, look up at me and smiled. I didn't understand. He carefully closed the book, set it on the ledge, and walked away. I started to follow him, but before I could he turned around and pointed to the book. I walked over and dusted off the cover, slowly revealing the title. There wasn't one. I opened the book to see what he was reading, but the pages were only blank. The rain began to fall as I took the book and headed for shelter.

We spend our whole lives trying to live, only to realize that we don’t know what life is truly about until it is too late.

© Copyright 2004 Ryan Kruse - All Rights Reserved
wintertao
since 2003-11-17
Posts 366
Okaloosa Island, FL
1 posted 2004-01-04 09:51 PM

Great job Necro, this is excellent, I really enjoyed this. My only complaint was I didnt want the story to end...prehaps you could turn this into a short story?
marcel
since 2003-03-02
Posts 660
az, usa
2 posted 2004-01-04 09:55 PM

very interesting and enjoyable story---creatively and clearly written.
Sadelite
Member Elite
since 2003-10-11
Posts 2519

3 posted 2004-01-04 10:30 PM

Very cute and well planned.  I have a feeling that you when you took the empty book, you filled it pretty fast!

Sadelite

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
4 posted 2004-01-05 02:26 AM

cute...hope to see more of your work
Michelle_loves_Mike
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-12-20
Posts 1189
Pennsylvania
5 posted 2004-01-05 08:03 AM

yes,,,,,I can see those blank pages soon filled to overflowing,,,,good write
Michelle

I wish all could find the true happiness I have found,,in the eyes of Mike

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
6 posted 2004-01-05 08:18 AM

A very enjoyable write! Since it's presented as prose rather than poetry, it probably should be in the prose forum. But I'm glad it's here since I don't read the PROSE forum daily. I would hate to have missed this one.
I found myself wanting to peek into that book, for in spite of blank pages, it feels as if it is completely filled with exciting adventure stories. well done!  It's a pleasure to meet you

Necro Draconis
since 2000-05-19
Posts 115

7 posted 2004-01-05 09:43 AM

Thanks all! I agree that this is more of a prose than anything else, although I originally wrote this for a college poetry course and the teacher said it was "classic contemporary"? I am going to assume that he meant it was prose and a good thing

We spend our whole lives trying to live, only to realize that we don’t know what life is truly about until it is too late.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #30 » Monkeys have tales

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary