navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #30 » Bright Stars Over Baghdad
Open Poetry #30
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bright Stars Over Baghdad Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2003-12-24 10:34 AM

Bright Stars Over Baghdad
Shooting stars brighten the skies over Baghdad
In the east, one rises from a floating-steel runway,
A fast moving star with a blue-flame, white contrail;
Loaded with presents for men of like custom
Flown by a Santa, whose mission won't fail...
To deliver the sleds, evil contents, today;
Prizes for woman and men who've been naughty,
Not nice, and a few for the innocent children
That might pick up a cluster, and thinking it play;
That will blow them to death, or their frail limbs away.
Where are the "Merry gentlemen with nothing to dismay"
Who think that Christ approves their rights to act so in his name?
Would Jesus sanction any war, on parchment, sign his yey?
Do not confuse my question here, with answers that apostles say,
From what I read, and choose believe, his answer would be nay.
end

© Copyright 2003 ford hume - All Rights Reserved
ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
1 posted 2003-12-24 10:36 AM

Please forgive me if I have offended, or made sad anyone's feelings, when they read this poem......It is not my intention to stir up controversy or raise bad will by disclosing these words that my muse insisted I write. True, the political overtones in it, are exactly how I feel and I used those feelings as poetic tools to state so.

After watching the news this morning, a strange feeling came over me....Something asked a question, and the answer was hard to come up with...The something asked " why have you not taken my advise, why do you think that violence can be stopped by violence?"  (as if I had within my pea sized brain, the answer!) .... then I thought of a bumper sticker I saw a couple days ago  
It said   "Love, or perish"

Again, I apologize for any harsh feelings (if any) that this poem might instill....
( maybe I am making a bigger deal out of posting this reply then is warranted?)

Peace to all

________ice
  ><>

Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
2 posted 2003-12-24 10:48 AM

ice
If all people could follow the golden rule I would agree. But then "all" means everyone.
Enjoyed the write.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2003-12-24 10:53 AM

Peace to you and all living things.
You have not offended me, as I agree with the POV and have asked the WHY??? Q many times.

namaste, ice, and may this season bring you some moments of joy and happiness in spite of all the miserable inhumane actions that surround us daily

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
4 posted 2003-12-24 10:59 AM

ice, even though there are some who may disagree with anothers political views, they are not discouraged at Passions....just so long as they are written in a way that does not attack another person with words. That is never tolerated. Your words didn't do that. They were written with a humbleness that I admire.And, written from your heart.

I believe at this Christmas season that everyone has a sadness in their hearts because of the war that is still going on.....for some reason or another. One of the reasons being that family and friends that we have are over there fighting for us. My nephew (from my deceased husband's side) is there and Gary's cousin is in Bagdad. Many tears and prayers have gone up for them and the others....and for the innocent ones on the other side, too.
May God help everyone everywhere to have Peace and Goodwill towards all
Hugs to you,

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
5 posted 2004-01-11 02:56 PM

(big hugggsssssss) Oh Ford, you know you haven;t offended me one bit as I too believe Jesus would never support any war beyond just a personal thought, especially when a lot of questions were left ignored and unanswered and the whole war was brought about from nothing but hatred! It is even more obvious now it was all only from hatred because Paul O'Neill has said himself that he had planned it out after just entering office in January 2001! (wipes tears mingled in anger and sadness) God Bless You, sweet friend, those in the Bush administration deserved nothing but a lump of coal greased in oil and blood, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Ford, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"You'll find something that's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around and come back home" MB20

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
6 posted 2004-01-12 07:19 PM

Nice writing...James
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
7 posted 2004-01-14 01:58 AM

Ice, I appreciate your write (and right) and am not offended.  These are difficult times to understand, that is for sure!  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #30 » Bright Stars Over Baghdad

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary