navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #29 » Better
Open Poetry #29
Post A Reply Post New Topic Better Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Rick
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 2903
Victoria, Australia

0 posted 2003-11-13 06:08 AM

So many think that better waits a little down the way
The grass it may seem greener there, but greener would it stay?
We all see perfect couples, but they as well might dream
Of better days and changes and of better than has been

It’s funny how we all expect much better than we’ve got
And though much may be perfect its indifference we all spot
We see the magazines and watch the wonderful on screen
And wonder in a far off thought, just where has our luck been

To take what God has given with a smile and thankful prayer
Comes rarely to most humans, for they see not what is there
Only that the day brings work and hours they must tend
Most humans live on struggle and on promise of pretend

How many are there smiling for the all they do receive?
Did God bless just a few of us to see instead of grieve?
To fill life with forgiveness and a joy to give each day
To fill the heart with what is good and throw the rest away

So try to make the better with a kind word or a touch
Try to find the dream within, before you long too much
For it may be there with you, hidden where you cannot see
Until you find your inner joy to set the hidden free

For we shall all grow older and regret it stains too deep
And dreams in truth are fantasies we cling to when we sleep
So find what is important and then hold it tight and true
It’s then you’ll find that better tends to find its way to you

© Copyright 2003 Rick Van Weenen - All Rights Reserved
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
1 posted 2003-11-13 06:11 AM

Dearest Rick...I knew there was a reason that I woke up out of half-sleep to get back online...this is so inspirational! I love this! And I needed it.

Thank you for your words, and for being you.

This one goes into my library!

hugs,
Dixie

Rick
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 2903
Victoria, Australia
2 posted 2003-11-13 06:16 AM

Dear Dixie, great to see you here tonight, lovely words you reply, thank you for that my friend, take care and be well.

Sincerely
Rick

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

3 posted 2003-11-13 07:12 AM

Rick, this is a poem of true dedication and realization of faith and love...I wish so many more saw through your heart and mind.  What does it take to realize acceptance and contentment?  And to realize how truely blesed we've been.  

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you were here this very moment I would fall into your arms and hug you with tears of joy.  And if you were a woman I would do the same...this is not a come on but much more so b/c you happen to be a poet/writer, with a heck of a lot of insight, and you've have given my day, not only great worth, but hope as well, hope for mankind.  Thank you my friend and God bless you and yours always.

Well done!!!!  

Rick
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 2903
Victoria, Australia
4 posted 2003-11-13 07:33 AM

Dear LeeJ, what can I say to what you have just said but thank you so very much, you have given me more than words here, but some part of your heart as well, I could feel the love and it has inspired me, if to do nothing else, but to live life to its fullest, God bless you and all you do.

Sincerely
Rick

Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

5 posted 2003-11-13 08:21 AM

Rick this is truly a write full of truth and wisdoms.  All to often people don't take the time to stop and smell the roses.  A beautiful gift you leave for all to treasure with this wonderful write.
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
6 posted 2003-11-13 08:37 AM

Mmwwaaahhh! Angel kiss for this divine piece of writing, Dear Rick!

I love reading your poetry! You make me wait for it, but it is always worth the wait!!!

A person who can write with such grace, wisdom, truth and beauty is a person who is grace-full, wise, truth-full, and beautiful!
~ and so ye be!

Peace, Love, & Light,
Linda

SharaRose
Member Elite
since 2003-07-19
Posts 2501
Somewhere out there~
7 posted 2003-11-13 11:21 AM

Hindsight is always 20/20. There are LOTS of dynamics that factor in when a person is making the decisions, and choices they do. All persons perceptions would be the same if there weren't. All would respond the same if there weren't different environments, different backgrounds, even different cultural influences. What one person thinks would be a grateful response may be clouded by lots of factors that others are not aware of. All in all it's VERY hard to make a judgement call about someone else's reactions, or responses when you haven't traveled their lifes road, and are not in their skin. Being mature takes life exp's to grow. Growth brings realization of your part you play in being responsible for your own actions, but looking further than that being kind, and sensitive enough to know what you say or do affects someone else. No one is an island. We are affecting someone in some way, and the kinder gentler more loving, respectful, and grateful response is the right and decent thing to do, but it's been my experience there are those that put their own personalities interpretation on things you do, and you can find your self being misconstrued on many turns. So I believe in what you say, but I also believe what may SEEM a persons thoughts, or beliefs may not be what a person construes it to be. In life I think it's good that we not assume that others aren't grateful, but that they may have other things that cloud their judgement about certain things in life they are presented with and in turn may not have the response or reaction you may find appropriate. It may not be what it seems at all Wow..thank you for allowing me to comment on something that I think is important. After isn't it humane to give the other the benefit of the doubt and hear their true thoughts than to assume they may be seeing things as being greener on the other side, or not ever being satisfied as human beings tend to be. I have this feeling about human beings. I feel if given a little time, and patience we all are good at heart and are truly ALL on that trek to find that better us that is inside waiting to be honed
into that fine diamond of a person that God wants us to be. We are all an unfinished product. God is working on us all. Working on being "Better" is what it's all about!!!
God Bless,
Terri~

Rick
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 2903
Victoria, Australia
8 posted 2003-11-14 07:49 AM

Dear Gentle Spirit, great to see you here my friend, thank you for your kind thoughts, they are truly appreciated.

Dear Earth Angel, firstly thankyou for reading my poetry, that is fantastic and secondly for your great reply, it was very much heart felt.

Dear Terri, seems I found a place inside you that needed to escape and speak, that is wonderful, I love your true thoughts; mine were from the questioning me inside, to me life seems at times unfair, casting doubt on decisions and making judgements on situations, I wonder often and still seek the better, I may be that human, hopeful, dreaming of a land to prosper in and the joy of true happiness, life is so short and oneself is sometimes hard to find and be truthful with. Thank you so very much for your thoughts, much appreciated.

To you all, again thank you, you are all great and I have enjoyed reading you all, be well my friends and may you all find better a little down the way.

Sincerely
Rick

Suetang
Member Ascendant
since 2001-03-07
Posts 5187
Melbourne, Australia
9 posted 2003-11-15 05:37 PM

Hello Rick

I couldn't agree more with your words of wisdom.  We must have been on the same wave length as I was just about to post a poem called "Stop and Smell The Roses" which is much like you have written about.

Take care......Sue

I am in motion
I am blue
Love is an ocean
I'm anchored in you
- Shawn Mullins

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
10 posted 2003-11-15 05:56 PM

For we shall all grow older and regret it stains too deep
And dreams in truth are fantasies we cling to when we sleep
So find what is important and then hold it tight and true
It’s then you’ll find that better tends to find its way to you

Thank you for this uplifting message, Rick.
Isn't it the truth, life is most certainly what we make it... some people might think that is an old cliche, but I prefer the wisdom and honest to goodness truth in your words.  What a warm and wonderful, timely reminder.  

I'll get there yet!

Thank you so much for writing this~

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
11 posted 2003-11-15 06:42 PM

Rick,  you give us a blessing,  in disguise
to some...and a flowing well to others.  
All we can do is hope that we find what is
truly important....and yes...hold on to it.

Thank You

Barry

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
12 posted 2003-11-15 07:44 PM

(smiles) God Bless You, sweet friend, this brought a tear to my eye as this is a philosophy I hold true to my heart so closely and your golden heart echoes words of wisdom that never have become cliche in my mind! (big hugggsssssss) We are all imperfect and we are works in progress and I believe what we must do is respect that and if we tell the truth then that is all we need! This is beautiful, sweet friend, you deserve extra special angel friendship hugs for this write, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Rick, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

I don't need no proof when it comes to God and truth
I can see the sun set and I perceive

***Live***

Patricia
Member Elite
since 2003-04-06
Posts 2160
Missouri
13 posted 2003-11-15 07:54 PM

Rick...this is wonderful, dear friend, and so true. Your verses are always full of wisdom and positive thoughts.  

And I am better having read this wonderful piece.

Patricia

Rick
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 2903
Victoria, Australia
14 posted 2003-11-16 05:38 AM

Dear Sue, at times it's truly amazing how we all think alike at times, and your words of Stop and smell the roses rings true, for often this is what we do not do. Hope you are enjoying what you do have my friend, thank you for your reply, as always very much appreciated. Be well my friend.

BluesSerenade, my friend, thank you so much for your reply, great to see you here, we are all trying to get there, or even dream that we might, wishing you luck and great times ahead.

Barry, great to see you here, thank you for your reply, much appreciated, with luck we all find what is important and find a way to hold onto it. Take care.

Noah, you are such a wonderful person, who always gives wonderful replies, this is yet another of those, thank you so much, your words are all heart felt and very much appreciated. Great to see you here.

Dear Patricia, it is great if words you write can touch someone somehow, thank you for your kind and heart felt words.

To you all once again my friends, I sit back with a smile when I see you all here, thanks for your visit and all the kind words, as always, they are truly heart felt and very much appreciated.

Sincerely
Rick

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #29 » Better

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary