navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #28 » "simply complex" a reply poem to "why you ask?" a poem about autism
Open Poetry #28
Post A Reply Post New Topic "simply complex" a reply poem to "why you ask?" a poem about autism Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
shannon harter
since 2003-02-03
Posts 31
waesaw,IN USA

0 posted 2003-09-15 10:27 PM

"simply complex"

with much love in my heart, and tears on face,
i give my only son the strength of my embrace.

we cry with him when the kids are mean, we celebrate the simple things,(when he learned one color, green!)

he cannot say his ABC's he cannot count but up to three, he rocks back and fourth, left foot to right,for each small thing he learns, he has to fight.

he cries alot, and thats okay, and when you see him mad, step outta his way.

he screams alot, but at least he's vocal.(i thank God for this) and i wouldnt change one thing about him, 'cause then he wouldnt be Nicholas.

just because my boy cant write his name, or sing a song, if you think he's anything less than beautiful, then you couldnt be more wrong.

© Copyright 2003 shannon harter - All Rights Reserved
inkedgoddess
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-19
Posts 7392
Ohio
1 posted 2003-09-15 10:34 PM

of course hes beautiful  why wouldnt he be?
i worked with autistic kids and can more than relate......
ever read a poem a mom wrote about her special kid......soemthing about wanting to go to italy, but got sidetracked to holland instead, something like that.....it tells it all.......and now i have to find it

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
2 posted 2003-09-15 10:37 PM

(big hugggssssssss) Oh Shannon, I couldn't agree with you more about him being very special, I have a high-functioning autism known as Asperger's Syndrome and went through a severe depression with these differences, and almost ended my life until a doctor discovered when I was 12 my difference and then I turned to God and have found joy in Him! (sigh) My heart goes out to your little boy and as he continues to grow, may he be able to remain special and also be able to live a successful life with others, God Bless You, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Shannon, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

I don't need no proof when it comes to God and truth
I can see the sun set and I perceive

***Live***

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
3 posted 2003-09-15 11:11 PM

What can I say?  I have the distinct privilege of not only knowing this beautiful boy, but also being his auntie.

I love you Fuzzy!!

And Sister?  You are truely a most wonderful Mommy and poet!

Love you!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2003-09-15 11:16 PM

Shannon, I know some of the simply complex children.  I have a very wonderful, beautiful friend who works with them daily, and thank God for her.  She is a spark in their lives!  My heart goes out to you, for keeping alive the sense of FAMILY, and not giving up on what others perceive as someone that should be hidden from the light of life.

This may not come across very well, but I am extremely proud of those families that know their priorities, and keep them straight.

I don't remember seeing your first post, for that, I apologize.  Welcome to Passions!!!

shannon harter
since 2003-02-03
Posts 31
waesaw,IN USA
5 posted 2003-09-15 11:20 PM

inkedgoddess-i have never read that poem, but i would love to. if you find it, let me know! thank you for your reply.

Noah-
i know all about aspurgers, as thats what they thought my son had at first. he is six, and he can talk, and understand alright, but he gets easily overwhelmed, and at times very angry over small stuff. he has some ticks, but not as bad as most autistic children. so as of now, the doctors are thinking he has mild autism. i would love to pick your brain sometime, maybe with your help, we can understand him a bit better, and help him more. thank God you didnt end your life, i think the world's a better place with you in it.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

6 posted 2003-09-16 05:32 PM

very nicely done... the understanding of your own experiences and the ability to rejoice..to enjoy the small victories that come your way. show that the beauty you see and know in your child is something special indeed....

inkedgoddess
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-19
Posts 7392
Ohio
7 posted 2003-09-16 07:24 PM

okay here goes.....natuarally i cant figure out how to do the link but this is it, more prose than poetry looking back on it now..

WELCOME TO HOLLAND
By Emily Perl Kingsley.
I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.

Hope you could see this too........michele

shannon harter
since 2003-02-03
Posts 31
waesaw,IN USA
8 posted 2003-09-16 11:27 PM

inkedgoddess-

wow. that was nothing short of brillance the way she put that together. not only does the writer make all the people out there w/"holland" kids nod their heads in agreement, but also she puts in laymens terms what its like, so all the people that has italy can understand. i wish all the people that see my son throwing a fit in the store and very rudely (and loudly) says how i should spank his butt could read this. thanks for looking it up!

shannon

inkedgoddess
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-19
Posts 7392
Ohio
9 posted 2003-09-17 06:57 AM

the pleasure was mine
and yes the supermarket shoppers sometimes
don't see the whole picture unfortunately

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #28 » "simply complex" a reply poem to "why you ask?" a poem about autism

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary