navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #28 » One Word
Open Poetry #28
Post A Reply Post New Topic One Word Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
KoKo
since 2003-02-15
Posts 995
Inside the shadow's shadow

0 posted 2003-08-28 11:12 AM

Smiles flashed
Warm words flowing
Into my ears
And for just one moment
I pretend
That this person wouldn't care
About my sexuality
That wind doesn't drive the rain
And hearts
Are unbreakable.

But one single word --
Bisexual
And smiles turn to scowls
Warm words turn to silence
And eyes search for something
Anything
But my gaze.

In one instant
One word
Changed everything
Who I am
What I will be
And the way
You never saw me.

I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.
--Chang Tzu

[This message has been edited by KoKo (08-28-2003 11:14 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Lauren - All Rights Reserved
Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
1 posted 2003-08-28 11:20 AM

KoKo
Well done enjoyed the read.

KoKo
since 2003-02-15
Posts 995
2 posted 2003-08-28 11:21 AM

Thanks Sey

I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.
--Chang Tzu

KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
3 posted 2003-08-28 12:41 PM

unfortunately, it's not right, it's not fair, but that's all it takes...

Failure isn't failure if a lesson from it is learned ~ KS

DbarrM
since 2003-08-26
Posts 14

4 posted 2003-08-28 12:43 PM

Its sad how people dont take the time to really get to know someone because of one word.

DbarrM

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
5 posted 2003-08-28 12:48 PM

I am going to assume you are speaking from personal experience...

"In one instant
One word
Changed everything
Who I am
What I will be"

Are you sure??  Or, are you letting this happen?  No one has the power to change who you are or what you will be...you allow it. Be who you are but be happy about it.  It's like that whole "dogs can smell fear thing" be proud.  Let them see that...(and if it wasn't personal exp. well..then, just ignore my big mouth).  Oh and I did love the writing..

Susan

KoKo
since 2003-02-15
Posts 995
6 posted 2003-08-28 01:17 PM

Kristie, you're right. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means alot to me.

--Chang Tzu

KoKo
since 2003-02-15
Posts 995
7 posted 2003-08-28 01:18 PM

DbarrM,

Sometimes, they do take the time to really get to know someone, but that one word changes everything.
Thanks for the read and comment.

--Chang Tzu

KoKo
since 2003-02-15
Posts 995
8 posted 2003-08-28 01:23 PM

Susan,

lol, yes, it is from personal experience. Even if it wasn't, your message is a great reminder

It never bothered me until yesterday, when I told my boyfriend's mother that the rumors she had heard about me months ago were true. I'm always searching for a strong parental role model, since my father died when I was very young, and my mother has too many problems of her own to worry about. So when this woman (my boyfriend's mother) looked at me with new eyes, it particularly hurt. I had the illusion that she would have accepted me any way I was, as long as I wasn't a criminal or something along those lines....
Strange, but I never knew being bisexual was a crime... -sigh-

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment!!! I appreciate it muchly

--Chang Tzu

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
9 posted 2003-08-28 01:39 PM

KoKo, I do feel for you.....and in my own way understand. Though I'm not bisexual, my fiance is much younger than I am. A lot of people think that is a crime. He and I are happier than we have ever been with anyone else in our whole lives. I just wonder why other people can't be happy for us instead of passing judgement on us.

I personally think that most people are afraid of anything that they don't call "normal". My own Dad tells me that I'm not "acting normal" in my relationship with the love of my life. Those things are the only reason we aren't married already. We have been in love for over five years now.

I just don't understand other people and their views. After all, my Honey is way over 21, so I'm certainly not robbing the cradle with him.

Sorry I got so long-winded, but I could relate to the "change in the eyes" of people (so-called friends and family) when they found out that Gary and I are in love and WILL  be married one day.

Hugs to you, KoKo  
Ethel

KoKo
since 2003-02-15
Posts 995
10 posted 2003-08-28 02:43 PM

Hey Ethel!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and share your own experience along the lines of this subject. I'm so glad someone out there knows what it's like. Thanks, Ethel. This means so much to me!

--Chang Tzu

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
11 posted 2003-08-29 04:44 AM

honey, I do know what you mean, from experience!

you be you, that's all I can say

Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
12 posted 2003-08-29 07:48 AM

I know how this is..
trust me, I know.

I've had so many experiences with people unable to deal with a sexual preferance.. Young and old..

The young, they can learn to understand..it's the older people who can't accept these things that worries me..

Great write, you said it. Be yourself, no matter what.

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

13 posted 2003-08-29 08:02 AM

honey, I believe there are a lot of people out there who would not care about your sexuality, but only be concerned with one thing....that you would treat them, as you would wish to be treated...and those are the persons which we should gravitate towards.  

KoKo
since 2003-02-15
Posts 995
14 posted 2003-08-29 02:17 PM

passing shadows:

Thanks! You're right. People are going to have their preconcieved notions, and I can't change it, nor should I change myself. Thanks

--Chang Tzu

Edder
since 2003-04-02
Posts 671

15 posted 2003-08-31 12:31 PM

I only hope she doesn’t let “one word” deny her the pleasure of knowing an amazing and talented young woman. If she chooses to do so, all I can say is…her loss.  Love ya
Sunnyone
Member Ascendant
since 2000-07-06
Posts 5334
Staffordshire, England
16 posted 2003-08-31 03:58 AM

Koko, I applaud you for sharing with us, because here is the best place to just talk about things, and I think you'll find that that 'one word' doesn't scare off your real friends!!!  If people can't accept you for being who you are, it's their tragic loss. That's something I had to learn when I came to England from Alaska.  Not everyone welcomes you, if you are different from them. It can be painful, but in the end there are many more who do reach out their hands. Just be true to yourself, because at the end of the day, you are your own best friend...stay strong, my friend...~S~

Accept these small gifts from my gypsy heart  ~~S~~

duckysgirl
since 2003-11-19
Posts 26
Down South
17 posted 2003-12-05 01:02 PM

Thanks so much for sending me the link to this. I really enjoyed the read. Going "outside the norm" is always tough. Especially when those we love the most cannot accept that we would choose to go this route. Keep being yourself and that's all you can do my friend!!

Duckysgirl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #28 » One Word

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary