navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #27 » Sitting on the Box [blame littlewing - HA!]
Open Poetry #27
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sitting on the Box [blame littlewing - HA!] Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart

0 posted 2003-07-27 07:44 AM

Sitting on the Box

[blame littlewing]

so she grew too big
and the box would not hold
all of the feelings
as pain grew too bold
and like a cancer it drew
the blood from her mind
so she sat on the box
with her generous behind…

~*~

then the laughter
faded to blue
as the corners pricked
an eight sharp view
for holding to edges
while fingers grew chilled
as winds on the outside
began destroying her will

~*~

she would clamber,
if there were a door,
back to the inside
to be boxed once more,
and away from the prying
of eyes and despise
where blankets of thought
were quilted with whys

~*~

but like Pandora
she flew in life’s face
and opened the box
to let out disgrace
but it grew before her
a hideous sight
then the box closed shut
subjecting pain to light

~*~

to be on the outside
toprayforthenight
when gloom would descend
tohideherfromsight
but light seemed to trick
all that she’d see
as she sits on the box ~
her name?  Misery.

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (07-27-2003 08:00 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Karilea Rilling Jungel - All Rights Reserved
Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
1 posted 2003-07-27 08:09 AM

Sunshine,
Good morning love, it must be something in the air, I swear.

dreambuilder
since 2003-03-23
Posts 319
caddyshack
2 posted 2003-07-27 08:23 AM

blame it on littlewing?
denial is the first stage of healing
my prayers for you in such a dark write - lol
you got misery
I got hate still a work in progress
I guess we are just usually too darn happy - lol
awesome write - & the challenge conquered

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
3 posted 2003-07-27 09:01 AM

Wonderful response to the challenge!
I love it!
~Hugs, Nancy~

~The breeze that kissed you on the face,
    Has held me in the same embrace~

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
4 posted 2003-07-27 09:31 AM

I  love  this, Karilea.....

(Ethel going off to find another word of unhappiness)  

cusick
since 2003-07-27
Posts 668

5 posted 2003-07-27 10:57 AM

So thought provoking. Did she bring it all on herself or is she just a victim. Foorgive me if I have got the message wrong. Maggie
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
6 posted 2003-07-27 03:53 PM

Karilea!!!
you are the Master
I bow to you
Oh, what a concept . .
nice twist
yes yes once out of that box
sometimes hard to get back in
Misery made beautiful
*smiling*
xxoo  

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
7 posted 2003-07-27 04:38 PM

As you SIT on the box I see you keep the mysery in check ...
great creation, dear Karilea.
Love, Margherita

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
8 posted 2003-07-27 04:58 PM

You did good with this challange, girlfriend...real good!!  
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
9 posted 2003-07-27 05:43 PM

Blame her? *S* If she inspired this write, she deserves applause... it's excellent. *S*
vandana
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Patricius
since 1999-10-22
Posts 10463
USA
10 posted 2003-07-27 07:29 PM

enjoyed
Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

11 posted 2003-07-27 08:11 PM

wasn't there hope in pandora's box? (I'm mythology obsessed) misery..good one. I like this challenge
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
12 posted 2003-07-27 08:20 PM

quote:
The first mortals lived on earth in a state of perfect innocence and bliss. The air was pure and balmy; the sun shone brightly all the year; the earth brought forth delicious fruit in abundance; and beautiful, fragrant flowers bloomed everywhere. Man was content. Extreme cold, hunger, sickness, and death were unknown. Jupiter, who justly ascribed a good part of this beatific condition to the gift conferred by Prometheus, was greatly displeased, and tried to devise some means to punish mankind for the acceptance of the heavenly fire.

With this purpose in view, he assembled the gods on Mount Olympus, where, in solemn council, they decided to create woman; and as soon as she had been artfully fashioned, each one endowed her with some special charm, to make her more attractive,

" The crippled artist-god,
Illustrious, moulded from the yielding clay
A bashful virgin's image, as advis'd
Saturnian Jove.
      " But now when the fair mischief, seeming-good,
His hand had perfected, he led her forth
Exulting in her grac'd attire, the gift
Of Pallas, in the midst of gods and men.
On men and gods in that same moment seiz'd
The ravishment of wonder, when they saw
The deep deceit, th' inextricable snare."
                    " Hesiod (Elton's tr.)

Their united efforts were crowned with the utmost success. Nothing was lacking, except a name for the peerless creature; and the gods, after due consideration, decreed she should be called Pandora. They then bade Mercury take her to Prometheus as a gift from heaven; but he, knowing only too well that nothing good would come to him from the gods, refused to accept her, and cautioned his brother Epimetheus to follow his example. Unfortunately Epimetheus was of a confiding disposition, and when he beheld the maiden he exclaimed, " Surely so beautiful and gentle a being can bring no evil !" and accepted her most joyfully.

The first days of their union were spent in blissful wanderings, hand in hand, under the cool forest shade; in weaving garlands of fragrant flowers; and in refreshing themselves with the luscious fruit, which hung so temptingly within reach.

One lovely evening, while dancing on the green, they saw Mercury, Jupiter's messenger, coming towards them. His step was slow and weary, his garments dusty and travel-stained, and he seemed almost to stagger beneath the weight of a huge box which rested upon his shoulders. Pandora immediately ceased dancing, to speculate with feminine curiosity upon the contents of the chest. In a whisper she begged Epimetheus to ask Mercury what brought him thither. Epimetheus complied with her' request; but Mercury evaded the question, asked permission to deposit his burden in their dwelling for safe-keeping, professing himself too weary to convey it to its destination that day, and promised to call for it shortly. The permission was promptly granted. Mercury, with a sigh of relief, placed the box in one corner, and then departed, refusing all hospitable offers of rest and refreshment.

He had scarcely crossed the threshold, when Pandora expressed a strong desire to have a peep at the contents of the mysterious box; but Epimetheus, surprised and shocked, told her that her curiosity was unseemly, and then, to dispel the frown and pout seen for the first time on the fair face of his beloved, he entreated her to come out into the fresh air and join in the merry games of their companions. For the first time, also, Pandora refused to comply with his request. Dismayed, and very much discouraged, Epimetheus sauntered out alone, thinking she would soon join him, and perhaps by some caress atone for her present wilfulness.

Left alone with the mysterious casket, Pandora became more and more inquisitive. Stealthily she drew near and examined it with great interest, for it was curiously wrought of dark wood, and surmounted by a delicately carved head, of such fine workmanship that it seemed to smile and encourage her. Around the box a glittering golden cord was wound, and fastened on top in an intricate knot. Pandora, who prided herself specially on her deft fingers, felt sure she could unfasten it, and reasoning that it would not be indiscreet to untie it if she did not raise the lid, she set to work. Long she strove, but all in vain. Ever and anon the laughing voices of Epimetheus and his companions, playing in the luxuriant shade, were wafted in on the summer breeze. Repeatedly she heard them call and beseech her to join them; yet she persisted in her attempt. She was just on the point of giving up in despair, when suddenly the refractory knot yielded to her fumbling fingers, and the cord, unrolling, dropped on the floor.

Pandora had repeatedly fancied that sounds like whispers issued from the box. The noise now seemed to increase, and she breathlessly applied her ear to the lid to ascertain whether it really proceeded from within. Imagine, therefore, her surprise when she distinctly heard these words, uttered in the most pitiful accents: " Pandora, dear Pandora, have pity upon us ! Free us from this gloomy prison! Open, open, we beseech you!"

Pandora's heart beat so fast and loud, that it seemed for a moment to drown all other sounds. Should she open the box ? Just then a familiar step outside made her start guiltily. Epimetheus was coming, and she knew he would urge her again to come out, and would prevent the gratification of her curiosity. Precipitately, therefore, she raised the lid to have one little peep before he came in.

Now, Jupiter had malignantly crammed into this box all the diseases, sorrows, vices, and crimes that afflict poor humanity; and the box was no sooner opened, than all these ills flew out, in the guise of horrid little brown-winged creatures, closely resembling moths. These little insects fluttered about, alighting, some upon Epimetheus, who had just entered, and some upon Pandora, pricking and stinging them most unmercifully. They then flew out through the open door and windows, and fastened upon the merrymakers without, whose shouts of joy were soon changed into wails of pain and anguish.

Epimetheus and Pandora had never before experienced the faintest sensation of pain or anger; but, as soon as these winged evil spirits had stung them, they began to weep, and, alas ! quarrelled for the first time in their lives. Epimetheus reproached his wife in bitterest terms for her thoughtless action; but in the very midst of his vituperation he suddenly heard a sweet little voice entreat for freedom. The sound proceeded from the unfortunate box, whose cover Pandora had dropped again, in the first moment of her surprise and pain. " Open, open, and I will heal your wounds! Please let me out! " it pleaded.

The tearful couple viewed each other inquiringly, and listened again. Once more they heard the same pitiful accents; and Epimetheus bade his wife open the box and set the speaker free, adding very amiably, that she had already done so much harm by her ill-fated curiosity, that it would be difficult to add materially to its evil consequences, and that, perchance, the box contained some good spirit, whose ministrations might prove beneficial.

It was well for Pandora that she opened the box a second time, for the gods, with a sudden impulse of compassion, had concealed among the evil spirits one kindly creature, Hope, whose mission was to heal the wounds inflicted by her fellow prisoners.

"Hope sole remain'd within, nor took her flight,
  Beneath the vessel's verge conceal'd from light."
                    Hesiod (Elton's tr.)

Lightly fluttering hither and thither on her snowy pinions, Hope touched the wounded places on Pandora's and Epimetheus' creamy skin, and relieved their suffering, then quickly flew out of the open window, to perform the same gentle office for the other victims, and to cheer their downcast spirits.

Thus, according to the ancients, evil entered into the world, bringing untold misery; but Hope followed closely in its footsteps, to aid struggling humanity, and point to a happier future.

" Hope rules a land for ever green:
  All powers that serve the bright-eyed Queen
        Are confident and gay;
  Clouds at her bidding disappear;
  Points she to aught ? - the bliss draws near,
        And Fancy smooths the way."
                    Wordsworth

During many centuries, therefore, Hope continued to be revered, although the other divinities had ceased to be worshipped.

According to another version, Pandora was sent down to man, bearing a vase, in which the evil spirits were imprisoned, and on the way, seized by a fit of curiosity, raised the cover, and allowed them all to escape.

Little by little the world was peopled; and the first years of man's existence upon earth were, as we have seen, years of unalloyed happiness. There was no occasion for labour, for the earth brought forth spontaneously all that was necessary for man's subsistence. "Innocence, virtue, and truth prevailed; neither were there any laws to restrict men, nor judges to punish." This time of bliss has justly borne the title of the Golden Age, and the people in Italy then throve under the wise rule of good old Saturn, or Cronus.

Unfortunately, nothing in this world is lasting; and the Golden Age was followed by another, not quite so prosperous, hence called the Silver Age, when the year was first divided into seasons, and men were obliged to toil for their daily bread.

"Succeeding times a silver age behold,
  Excelling brass, but more excell'd by golf.
  Then summer, autumn, winter, did appear,
  And spring was but a season of the year;
  The sun his annual course obliquely made,
  Good days contracted, and enlarg'd the bad.
  The air with sultry heats began to glow,
  The wings of winds were clogg'd with ice and snow;
  And shivering mortals into houses driven,
  Sought shelter from the inclemency of heaven.
  Those houses, then, were caves or homely sheds,
  With twining osiers fenc'd, and moss their beds.
  Then ploughs, for seed, the fruitful furrows broke,
  And oxen labour'd first beneath the yoke."
                    Ovid (Dryden's tr.)

Yet, in spite of these few hardships, the people were happy, far happier than their descendants during the Age of Brass, which speedily followed, when strife became customary, and differences were settled by blows.

But by far the worst of all was the Iron Age, when men's passions knew no bounds, and they even dared refuse all homage to the immortal gods. War was waged incessantly; the earth was saturated with blood; the rights of hospitality were openly violated; and murder, rape, and theft were committed on all sides.

Jupiter had kept a close watch over men's actions during all these years; and this evil conduct aroused his wrath to such a point, that he vowed he would annihilate the human race. But the modes of destruction were manifold, and, as he could not decide which would eventually prove most efficacious, he summoned the gods to deliberate and aid him by their counsels. The first suggestion offered, was to destroy the world by fire, kindled by Jupiter's much dreaded thunderbolts; and the king of gods was about to put it into instant execution, when his arm was stayed by the objection that the rising flames might set fire to his own abode, and reduce its magnificence to unsightly ashes. He therefore rejected the plan as impracticable, and bade the gods devise other means of destruction.

After much delay and discussion, the immortals agreed to wash mankind off the face of the earth by a mighty deluge. The winds were instructed to gather together the rain clouds over the earth. Neptune let loose the waves of the sea, bidding them rise, overflow, and deluge the land. No sooner had the gods spoken, than the elements obeyed: the winds blew; the rain fell in torrents; lakes, seas, rivers, and oceans broke their bonds; and terrified mortals, forgetting their petty quarrels in a common impulse to flee from the death which threatened them, climbed the highest mountains, clung to uprooted trees, and even took refuge in the light skiffs they had constructed in happier days. Their efforts were all in vain, however; for the waters rose higher and higher, overtook them one after another in their ineffectual efforts to escape, closed over the homes where they might have been so happy, and drowned their last despairing cries in their seething depths.

"Now hills and vales no more distinction know,
  And levell'd nature lies oppress'd below;
  The most of mortals perish in the flood."

Ovid (Dryden's tr.)

Wind...this poor lady hasn't learned to get off the box, and let it open one more time...

Patricia
Member Elite
since 2003-04-06
Posts 2160
Missouri
13 posted 2003-07-28 07:48 AM

Karilea...
The "coming out" of the box is not a debutant ball.  I have traveled far from my box, and it is as uncomfortable as it gets.  Oh, I have tried to climb right back in there, but I, too, have grown...another line from my friend's philosophies (this one is stolen and reworded by him and by me) "a mind expanded can never go back to whence it came."  OK...you probably know the exact quote. I should know it, too, but it seems my memory these days is on vacation.  Goodness, I hope it comes back!  But I also know you will forgive me...remember, forgiveness and acceptance! (Smiling) It seems I have used his "forgiveness and acceptance" philosophy a little too much these days!  LOL

Jeepers...you are making me think this morning!

Patricia

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

14 posted 2003-07-28 08:01 PM

WOW WOW Karilea, what a fantabulous write absolutely smashing dear lady. oh and the rhyme divine.

this is a

Maree

fate is not just
whose cooking  smells good
but which way the wind blows

(Ani DiFranco)

QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
15 posted 2003-07-28 08:23 PM

terrific write n thoughts expressed,,
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
16 posted 2003-07-28 08:28 PM

Blame --- har! Take a bow, Littlewing......you fostered a good one here!

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
17 posted 2003-07-29 04:26 AM

misery

yeah

VOE
since 2003-07-10
Posts 119
From the land of Camelot
18 posted 2003-07-29 04:56 AM

I just want to know what you are putting in your coffee!!!!!  This is inspirational, and got my old brain ticking away, (which it, fortunately, needed)!  Great one...~V~

I speak from the Voice Of Experience

gemjop
Member Elite
since 2002-11-18
Posts 2587
Pencilveinia, USA
19 posted 2003-07-29 11:22 AM

Karilea, AMAZING.

one for the library.

much love,
gem
xxxx

Instant karma's gonna get you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #27 » Sitting on the Box [blame littlewing - HA!]

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary