navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #27 » when will i be able to be normal?
Open Poetry #27
Post A Reply Post New Topic when will i be able to be normal? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
martina
since 2003-06-19
Posts 59

0 posted 2003-06-27 04:03 PM

What Is Normal

I sit in my wheelcahir thinking to myself. I am not normal I am differnt i do not want to be differnt. People stare i watch.Tere is nothing i can do but that. What good does it do tosay anything when they are not listening they areamused by my wheelchair. I hope that everyone nows why i am in a wheelchair they nver ask they always asum i hate when people asum. I am i really that differnt? Really I don't understand the meaness of some people I hope one day I do.

thank you, Martina

© Copyright 2003 martina - All Rights Reserved
Suetang
Member Ascendant
since 2001-03-07
Posts 5187
Melbourne, Australia
1 posted 2003-06-27 05:37 PM

Hello Martina

I was so very moved and saddened by your words.  There is nothing wrong with you no matter what others might think.  I am not in a wheelchair but I wrote a poem, imagining I was in one to try and see how it might be like.  I imagined people not being able to look you in the eye or even giving a smile.  I'm sending you the link and I hope that sharing your feelings through writing helps you.
/pip/Forum58/HTML/002865.html

"We are all angels with only one wing.....
we can fly only by embracing each other"

Take care........Sue

I am in motion
I am blue
Love is an ocean
I'm anchored in you
- Shawn Mullins

[This message has been edited by Suetang (06-27-2003 05:56 PM).]

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

2 posted 2003-06-27 05:59 PM

Whoo... Um my motto is "never be normal" You make beter friends and develop talents...

I said I'm going to buy a gun and start a war,
If you can tell me something worth fighting for
-coldplay

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
3 posted 2003-06-27 06:03 PM

A nice sharing of your feelings...james
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
4 posted 2003-06-27 06:44 PM

Your words are so sad...
Keep writing...I find it helps.
~Smiles & Hugs, Nancy~

~If you haven't heard the sunset,
   you haven't been listening.~

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
5 posted 2003-06-27 11:59 PM

There is no simple magic answer for your questions, at least none that can come from outside yourself.

Most people, not knowing you, will see you as an object, a thing on wheels; they will never take the time to look behind the veil of tears and anger to see the fully functional human soul that can shine through your eyes.  

Most people are too pre-occupied with their own needs and their own lives, their own petty disappointments (or sometimes not so petty disappointments).  Most feel like they are dying every day by the classic death of a thousand cuts - they usually are wrong, but when all they see are their own narrow lives they lose the proper frame of reference for understanding.

Most people are like this, most...but not all.

You want to write a thousand poems about rolling through life on wheels and all the frustrations and hardships, all the violations of simple human dignity which comes with that?  Go ahead; I'll read as many of them as I see posted.  

You want to write about the humor of a young bird landing awkwardly on your windowsill, or the graceful spiral dance of a passing snowflake or autumn leaf, or the bittersweet joyous ache that comes with unfulfilled love, or some disgust with world politics, or the brilliance of a sunrise, the power of a storm, the fearsome chilly power of a full moon?

Go ahead, write about any of it, or all of it, or find other things of which I am not bright enough to see - so illuminate my world; make me understand better the things I already know but may not really see clearly. I'll read it.

Go ahead, do it!  Make my day.

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

6 posted 2003-06-28 12:05 PM

oh Martina...yes you are different, way different from others, you are absolutely beautiful...inside and out...you have many gifts to give, to teach, to yet learn...write write write...and speak what you know and learn...read as well, and extend your mind...and one day you will learn, you are and have been chosen as one of God's most precious children...your a million lights sparkling in the sky...your a gentle calming ocean with a clear blue sky...but most of all my dear...above everyone else...you've a glow within the world very special...very significant and very loved.  

Thank you for this very precious write...keep your pen flowing!

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
7 posted 2003-06-28 12:21 PM

You touch my heart with your words.  I try to explain to my children that being a person in a wheelchair sets you apart from the rest of the world...not because you are "different", but because you are special.  THose of us NOT in a wheelchair all have something in common, but sweet thing...God made you "differently special"

You are a gift, and you have a wonderful talent which is displaying your words on paper, keep it and hold it close to you!

God Bless You!!

Wonderful write by the way....

Tima C

SilentTears
since 2003-02-15
Posts 371
Lost and Broken
8 posted 2003-08-26 05:32 PM

You're right...you are different. You are able to see others for WHO they are...not WHAT they are...or what their physical condition may be. "You should never judge a book by its cover." If people are not willing to find out who you are, and just look at the fact that you're in a wheelchair...then they are not worth knowing in the first place!

"I would sleep forever, if it meant I'd never stop dreaming..."

martina
since 2003-06-19
Posts 59

9 posted 2003-11-28 03:30 PM

oh y thank you all so much for replying it means so much i promise i will try to keep writing. THanks agian.

Martina

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #27 » when will i be able to be normal?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary