navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Graph of space expanding
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Graph of space expanding Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rad802
since 2008-04-19
Posts 279
KY U.S.A.

0 posted 2009-08-17 06:10 PM

If you are standing at the south pole of this graph when you look out accross the universe, you do not see the universe at the size it is now (the outer circle). As this graph shows, your line of sight will spiral in towards the center until you reach the begining of time.

A worthy legacy is the irrevocable consequence of dreaming.
Rick A. Delmonico

[This message has been edited by rad802 (08-18-2009 05:47 PM).]

© Copyright 2009 RAD802 - All Rights Reserved
GBride
since 2009-07-02
Posts 538

1 posted 2009-10-19 08:21 PM

Yes, because light has mass as well as wave properties. But I do not think you would see the beginning of time would you: not with your eyes. Maybe with instrument that could collect light rays specific to what you want to see. Correct me here if I am wrong.
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

2 posted 2009-10-20 03:01 AM

Doesn't this make the assumption that there is no more recent center of mass in some other direction and that the original big bang was symmetrical?  Considering we are not yet clear what the mass of the universe consists of and where that mass lies, it appears that the assumption made with this graph would suggest, for example, an equal distribution of dark matter — apparently composing a very large part of the mass of the universe — yet we have discovered none in our neck of the woods.

I'm not suggesting that you're wrong, here, and the logic that you're proposing seems pleasing, but there seem to be some elements to be accounted for.  Among other things, while the age of the earth may be about five Billion years, the universe itself is supposed to be somewhat older, twice to three times as old, as I understand it, unless there's more recent research that I'm unaware of.

The assumption that the original big bang caused a uniform distribution of matter through space may or may not prove true.  I am inclined to think that space may well have been warped or folded by the original violence of the big bang and the nature of spacetime may have been warped and folded along with it, the boundaries being marked by membranes where the geometry of spacetime has essentially been crushed into itself.  But that's all pure speculation on my part.  Sort of reverberations of a large explosions within a trash compactor, echoing back and forth as the size of the trash compactor volume not so slowly expand.   The initial reverberations would have set the basic shape within the first tiny fractions of a second, when there was time for the basic warping process to take place within a small enough space.  Te tum te tum te tum.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

3 posted 2009-10-20 03:05 AM

Wild-speculation-R-Us

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
4 posted 2009-10-20 10:53 AM

yeah and there are other universes too.  
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
5 posted 2009-10-20 11:07 PM

Actually that is God's mouth.  He is yawning   
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Graph of space expanding

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary