navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » For Christian Philosophers: What is the Status of Concepts
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic For Christian Philosophers: What is the Status of Concepts Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2009-05-23 09:41 PM

As the title says.  If one is a Christian and one holds some view along the lines that God created everything ex nihilo then what is the status of concepts?  For example, a human might be able to conceive of a pink elephant.  Is this concept a creation of God?

Life's short.  Think hard!
Me!

© Copyright 2009 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
1 posted 2009-05-23 10:25 PM

It seems to me you're (in essence) asking whether human imagination was intended by God.  And seeing that it is capable of bringing joy, I would say the answer is yes.  But we also might question how freedom applies to our imagination.  It seems that if God gives human freedom (necessitating a willful limitation on God's part), then direct causation of the particular products of our imagination is out of the question.  Perhaps thinking of it in terms of divine provision and providence is the better way to make sense of it.  

Stephen  

GBride
since 2009-07-02
Posts 538

2 posted 2009-10-20 10:36 PM

I'm not sure this fits, but I'll try it anyway.
Descart says, "I think therefore I am."
But in 1956 Stuart Hampshire reviewed this famous write (Critique of Absolute Doubt?) and asked how Descart knew any portion of space was himself. Also, how did he know he was thinking.
Really, the best Descart could say is "Something is going on."
Also have you read Carl Popper? It is almost impossible to state that anything is 100% true. Probability is the word we should use.
This is why I believe in God. It is my choice. I can either believe that we will all end as dust and nothing of our existence will remain.
Or I can believe that my life has a purpose and I will in someway continue to exist. What is the logical choice?
I'm not really sure this is  a reply to your question. But I'll risk it.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » For Christian Philosophers: What is the Status of Concepts

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary