navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Why do people think that all Africans are black?
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Why do people think that all Africans are black? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kitherion
since 2006-08-01
Posts 181
Johannesburg

0 posted 2007-04-20 12:43 PM

Wow, after reading the topic line I realise that it sounds racist, but please don't take it that way. This is a topic that I have to post, because it is something that is very touchy.

On a recent trip to Sweden, myself and that group of friends that I was with decided to go sightseeing... the guide we had asked us where we were from and when we said South Africa this was the response we got:

"That's impossible... you're not n*gg*rs..."

What the heck???? How can a self-respecting person say something like that?

Is it just me or is humanity really pathetic?

© Copyright 2007 Donovan - All Rights Reserved
Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
1 posted 2007-04-20 01:05 AM

ignorance
Kitherion
since 2006-08-01
Posts 181
Johannesburg
2 posted 2007-04-20 01:29 AM

I suppose that's true... But still what gives them the right to be ignorant and still expect others to know who and what they are?

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
3 posted 2007-04-20 11:19 AM

hubris gives humanity that "right." we are all the center of our own universes; we expect others to recognize us as central to that... though I believe this is more western pride. as I understand, the eastern cultures are less self-involved on an individual basis.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Why do people think that all Africans are black?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary