navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Favorite Poets
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Favorite Poets Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Aurelian
since 2007-03-20
Posts 109
TX, USA

0 posted 2007-04-02 01:03 PM

Which poets are your favorite and which ones do you think influence your poetry the most. Include favorites from different time periods. Mine are:
Chaucer
Shakespeare
John Donne
William Blake
S.T.Coleridge
Lord Byron
A. Tennyson
Walt Whitman
Emily Dickinson
G.M. Hopkins
e.e. cummings
E.A. Robinson
W.B. Yeats
T.S. Eliot
Seamus Heany

© Copyright 2007 Joshua R. Tindell - All Rights Reserved
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
1 posted 2007-04-05 03:38 AM

Homer

The Beowulf Poet

Alexander Pope

Sir Walter Scott

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2007-04-05 07:56 PM

I'm on the Blake kick again.

I tend to switch around, tho.

I find all poetry pretty much fascinating. Even rap music. And for Essorant's sake, I'm gonna try to wrap my head around Beowulf again. (I had a boring teacher who was in love with that--she'd made it the entire course, and her class was less than engaging.)

Aurelian
since 2007-03-20
Posts 109
TX, USA
3 posted 2007-04-06 12:07 PM

Ha! and I thought I was the only one who still liked Sir Walter Scott! Yeah, I know I didn't put him in my all time greatest - but I always have enjoyed reading his work. I would have added the Beowulf poet and Homer too(and Dante), but I can only read them in translation. Heaney's excellent translation of Beowulf is the main reason I put him in the list - that and also that I wanted to have someone that has written in the last forty years.
oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
4 posted 2007-04-14 11:04 PM

Seamus Heany?  My God, a "reader" with a sense of relevance!  I'd add at least John Skelton, Robert Burns, and Lawrence Ferlinghetti to the list.  Oh,  and Marianne Moore, Emily Bronte, Richard Wilbur, Theodore Rothke, Charles Olson, Hart Crane, Wallace Stevens, Stevie Smith, John Chiardi, Octavio Paz, Garcia Lorca, and Bennett Cerf, and Dorothy Parker.

Point is, a list can go on forever.

Aurelian
since 2007-03-20
Posts 109
TX, USA
5 posted 2007-04-15 04:37 PM

Ferlinghetti! Aaaaaaaaaah! I can't stand or understand his poetry.
Oh well, each to his own - lol -
Josh

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
6 posted 2007-04-15 10:23 PM

My fave is Robert Frost. As for most influential? I truly have absolutely no clue. I don't really read enough poetry (although, I know I should) and have never really studied the art form (again, knowing full well I should) to make that decision.

What would you attempt to do...if you knew you could not fail?.
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA
7 posted 2007-04-16 01:38 PM

Octavio Paz and William Bukowski

different but great.

Dane

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
8 posted 2007-04-20 07:26 PM

Dane -- Is William Bukowski Charles Bukowski's brother?

Josh:  Re: Ferlinghetti:  Well, I was listing MY favorite and influential poets.  If you really want to get distressed, try Gary Snyder, Philip Whelan, and Thomas Merton.

PS, from memory:  I think Ferlinghetti's "A Coney Island of the Mind" sold over a million copies.  I could have that confused, though with his "The Secret Meaning of Things..."

Jim

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Favorite Poets

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary