navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Personals
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Personals Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2005-09-18 11:34 AM

What is to be said
for a poem, or collection of poems,
in which the most common word used
is I?

© Copyright 2005 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
1 posted 2005-09-18 03:05 PM

I don't think you're providing enough information about the poem(s), for anyone to make a meaningful response to your question.

what poems, and what else is there besides the fact that "I" is used alot?  What type of poems?  What time period?  What was the purpose of the writing?  etc ... etc ...  

Stephen.

Capricious
since 2002-09-14
Posts 89
California, USA
2 posted 2005-09-18 09:30 PM

Since you weren't really clear, I'm going to assume you mean poems written in which the poet is the speaker?

A number of my favorite classical poets wrote a good deal in first person: Poe, Dickinson, Frost ... even Yeats took an occasional foray into this perspective, although much of his poetry is third-person narrative.

If poetry is an exploration of the human condition, don't you think some of the most verifiable accounts would be from one's own point of view?

At any rate, it's going to be hard to pin any label (bad, good, or otherwise) on someone's work based on the use of a single word.  If anything, 'I' would be more forgivable rather than less since it's a fairly unique pronoun.  What synonyms does it have?  How could one rephrase 'I' without sounding contrived, either immediately or upon repetition?

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
3 posted 2005-09-18 10:08 PM

“I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.”

Alfred Joyce Kilmer, from “Trees”

“Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;”

-Robert Frost, from “The Road Not Taken”

“From childhood’s hour I have not been
As others were—I have not seen
As others saw—I could not bring
My passions from a common spring—“

Edgar Allan Poe, from “Alone”

I am not sure what you are looking for here But I for one am particular to the word I in a poem.  I want to know what the author is thinking, experiencing, etc. within the poem wherever possible.  

When I write poetry it is because I have been inspired to do so.  While I could take the pains to omit the word I in the writing of one, I doubt I seriously would—I don’t see the point.  If I wanted to read something bland and impersonal I would read the newspaper.

Don’t get me wrong.  I can and do appreciate poetry written from other vantage points but I find myself moved emotionally more often by poetry from the first person vantage point.

“I” count in this response = 15  

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
4 posted 2005-09-19 11:30 AM

'As to the poetical Character itself.... it is not itself - it has no self - it is every thing and nothing - It has no character - it enjoys light and shade; it lives in gusto, be it foul or fair, high or low, rich or poor, mean or elevated - ...A Poet is the most unpoetical of any thing in existence; because he has no Identity - he is continually in for - and filling some other Body - The Sun, The Moon, The Sea and Men and Women who are creatures of impulse are poetical and have about them an unchangeable attribute - the poet has none; no identity'....

John Keats to Richard Woodhouse, 1818

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2005-09-19 01:08 PM

Oh...

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
6 posted 2005-09-19 03:47 PM

~smiling~ at Larry's response
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
7 posted 2005-09-19 04:57 PM

LOL.

The irony, of course, is that Keats was speaking metaphorically.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
8 posted 2005-09-19 06:59 PM

“I see, and sing, by my own eyes inspired.”

John Keats, from “Ode to Psyche”

John, I am still not sure what you are getting at with this post.  One reason I seldom, if ever, reply to any of your posts is the fact that you never seem to own what you are presenting.  You always present quotes from other people and never seem to add your own feelings or interpretations on the matter, an approach that always seemed somewhat antagonistic to me.

The quote you gave from Keats surely does not sum up all you have to feel on this matter, and if so I might add is a very poor reference.  Keats has long been a favorite of mine and is guilty of using “I” in a great number of his poems.  I might also add that the use of the word “I” within his poetry does not have to contradict his opinion of the poet having no identity.

I could elaborate much further on “my” feelings and give you more poetic examples to back them but again, if you are not willing to express “your” feelings on the matter I would probably just be chasing an infinite number of slightly varying opinions (likely taken out of context) from absentee, and quite possibly deceased, persons.

Capricious
since 2002-09-14
Posts 89
California, USA
9 posted 2005-09-19 07:05 PM

In truth, I think the title of the original post says more about what you are trying to get across than anything else you've posted.

I don't come here to read personals either, but I've never blamed an innocent pronoun for it.  

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
10 posted 2005-09-19 07:55 PM

quote:
The quote you gave from Keats surely does not sum up all you have to feel on this matter, and if so I might add is a very poor reference.  Keats has long been a favorite of mine and is guilty of using “I?in a great number of his poems.  I might also add that the use of the word “I?within his poetry does not have to contradict his opinion of the poet having no identity.

Exactly right.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
11 posted 2005-09-19 08:03 PM

Capricious

You're correct.

jarrett
since 2006-05-10
Posts 72
Ut, USA
12 posted 2006-05-11 10:59 PM

Many of the poems, or things that we write are about something that happened to us in our life time. Why would we use "You" when it's supposed to be I?
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Personals

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary