navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Tolerance and Evil
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Tolerance and Evil Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg

0 posted 2005-03-01 08:42 PM

How do all of you feel about the question of whether or not evil ought to be tolerated?

I ask this mostly because lately I've been wondering if the Christian worldview promotes an assertive or passive attitude towards handling sin and evil in the world.  Do you feel people ought to be held accountable for correcting wrong where they see it, or speaking out against the wrongs of others?

Or, should we eternally tolerate evil, turn the other cheek to it?  Thoughts?

© Copyright 2005 Brian James Lee - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2005-03-01 09:27 PM

The Christian worldview would be to speak out against it, to cast it from their midsts.  Same with the Jewish and Muslim view, though their laws dictate a harsher measure to be taken.  In any case, it should always be Assertive, though this doesn't normally happen when even Good Samaritan laws are blatanly ignored when others they might see being assaulted by another with evil in their heart refuse to intervene.

And I have done so.  Sometimes I get threats, sometimes I get thanks, sometimes I make an enemy, other times I make a friend.  It's the turning of blind eyes and ignoring evil in this world that gives rise to oppressive regimes and completely corrupt organizations and businesses.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2005-03-02 07:51 AM

Define evil.

Writing there when you mean their is evil, but I tolerate it every day. Breaking the law is evil, but I've yet to detain a speeder for a citizen's arrest (and doubt anyone would meekly pull over for a Miata even if I did try). Hunger is evil, but I've never handed out ten dollar bills to our local homeless. Destroying your own body with alcohol or drugs is evil, but I feel no great need to protect people from themselves. Working on the Sabbath is evil, but I do it every week.

Evil is a little more easily tolerated, I think, when we realize each of us defines it very differently. The evil a man does is between him and his gods.

The harm a man does, on the other hand, becomes a matter for society to judge, to curtail, to punish.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
3 posted 2005-03-19 07:49 PM

Everything among us includes choosing, and moving ourselves, and influencing others towards better or worse, more directly or less directly.  I think life and worth on a certain level have their own standards and that is by no means only a choice, but also many conditions that are already there.  We have life-needs and lifeworth that we must observe to live and live healthily and heartily.  We did not come to know evil on day one though; we came to know it thro comparisions in all things we generally do and may do over great lengths.  Choosing, moving, and influencing ourselves towards the worse, against lifeneed and life worth, are the evil, and we know this because there was or is better in other choices, motions, influences.  That is not fully defined by any choice, but by the general state of things, what life generally needs, society and the world  and man comparing his own approaches and how it serves in those.  There is no choice but to have this life's need and worth, but there is a choice how we serve need and worth.  When we serve them better we do good, when we serve worse, we do evil.  

[This message has been edited by Essorant (03-20-2005 01:39 AM).]

Michelle_loves_Mike
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-12-20
Posts 1189
Pennsylvania
4 posted 2005-03-20 05:44 AM

As I've always felt, we must all live with our own morality. Everyones "right", is anothers "wrong", and vice versa.

My motto?

"333....I'm only half evil"

Michelle

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
5 posted 2005-03-20 09:29 AM

It's always hard to tell which half though -- there's the rub.  
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
6 posted 2005-03-20 10:43 AM

If you mix a toxic smell with a pleasant perfumous smell, you soon don't know the difference between either anymore.  But the toxic one will still harm you as much as it is toxic.
A similar thing happens with smoke and smokers.  Just because smokers aquire a taste for smoke doesn't mean that smoke, or tobbacco, is ever good for you.  Aquiring a taste for something doesn't make it good or healthy.  It being good or healthy itself does.  If you mix good and healthy, with bad and unhealthy too much, you no longer may distinguish either from the other anymore--because the tastes assimilate them both--but the harmful ingrediants shall still harm.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
7 posted 2005-03-20 12:08 PM

The problem is assigning which smell is good and which smell is bad Ess.  I happen to think a grilling steak smells good -- a Hindu on the other hand wouldn't agree.

Acts of evil can be characterized specifically as selfishness.  The jerks you encounter in everyday life are selfish people.  We know that jerk behavior and selfishness are the result of immaturity.  Yet -- immaturity in a child isn't evil.  Neither is acting in a matter of self preservation for an adult.  It is the boon of maturity to be able to discern when a selfish act is or is not evil -- roses smell good.  Dung makes them grow.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
8 posted 2005-03-24 01:16 PM

Local Rebel, we know we assign our own and influence others' deeds, to good or evil, by doing good or evil, because deeds don't stop showing differences of being better or worse for life and worth in this life just because our thoughts cease to hold them as if they do anymore.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (03-24-2005 02:10 PM).]

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
9 posted 2005-03-24 03:21 PM

michelle-

LOL LOL!!! That's funny..I have the shirt.

Michelle_loves_Mike
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-12-20
Posts 1189
Pennsylvania
10 posted 2005-03-24 06:15 PM

I wanted the shirt,,,,but,,,only thing I found that fit,,,was the bumpersticker on muh car,,,teehee
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
11 posted 2005-03-27 09:48 PM

Where is everyone?
Kristabell
since 2003-11-29
Posts 678
Portland, OR
12 posted 2005-06-21 09:46 PM

That is a hard question. If we turned our cheek to evil, the world would turn into utter chaos. However, I believe evil is necessary. If we did not have evil, or wrong, we would not know what right was. We have to have both sides to differintiate between the two.

Considering the fact that everyone has different views about what is good and evil, besides the obveous ideas, it would be hard to keep a straight perspective on good and evil. I think that is why opinion over what is right and wrong is necessary. We can form our own ideas.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Tolerance and Evil

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary