navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Zardoz
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Zardoz Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2005-01-10 02:06 AM

“Tithonus, in Greek myth, was a mortal who fell in love with Aurora (Eos in Greek), the goddess of the dawn. In order to live with her forever, he asked the gods for immortality, which was granted; unfortunately, he did not ask for eternal youth, so he did age - he just could not die.”

http://www.mala.bc.ca/~lanes/english/engl201/s9820109.htm

http://eir.library.utoronto.ca/rpo/display/poem2188.html

Sunday I watched a John Mclaughlin interview of two who were authors of
books about the advances of medical science that could before long, (one
who was 57 expected to live to be advantaged), make immortality a real possibility.

Apart from questions about who would live or die and who would decide, would
you want to be kept alive forever?

"I have not lost desire
But the heart that I had;
I thought 'twould burn my body
Laid on the death-bed,
For who could have foretold
That the heart grows old?"

Yeats

© Copyright 2005 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2005-01-10 07:14 PM

Actually, immortality is never a possibility.

Arnold M
since 2004-09-05
Posts 195

2 posted 2006-09-17 08:08 PM

Not in my present body.
Arnold M
since 2004-09-05
Posts 195

3 posted 2006-09-17 08:10 PM

Immortality is impossible with man;  

But, all things are possible with God.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2006-09-17 08:31 PM

I am at a time in my life where I know transition is a good thing; that living life well is the best revenge; and, of course, that all things have a season.  I hope to live longer than my parents, and also, to life life to its best advantages.  But I do not think I would want to live "forever", if for no other reason, the burden I would create to society.

And, when my time comes, I hope to leave this plane with humble grace.  Had you asked this question when I was 30, I would have probably said that you'd be seeing me go kicking and screaming.  But, that was another time.  

Good question, John.  Nice to see you writing again.

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

5 posted 2006-09-17 08:34 PM

Actually we will have it, just not in our present bodies, as Arnold said. I look forward to it!
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
6 posted 2006-09-17 10:38 PM

quote:
Brad: Actually, immortality is never a possibility.

So says entropy, as our surrounding universe spirals into heat death. But hey, even if you can't "actually" have immortality, Brad, surely we might yet become "effectively" immortal? A thousand years? A million, perhaps? I don't think there's any theoretical reason a human couldn't survive to see the end of our universe?

Would I want to? You bet!  

quote:
Arnold: Immortality is impossible with man;  

But, all things are possible with God.

I would argue that point, Arnold, but that would be fodder for another thread. One perhaps specifically addressing religion (or, even, specifically Christianity, assuming you were referencing that particular god)?

Not all philosophy threads (and especially those bumped after 21 months?) need to become religious discussions, guys. If you want to talk about God, feel free to start a thread about God. While I know it's certainly possible to hi-jack every thread, as pretty much everything can be related to religion, I don't think it's really necessary. There should, I hope, be enough threads directly addressing religion to keep y'all busy?

Thanks for understanding.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Zardoz

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary