navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Marketing No
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Marketing No Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2004-11-20 09:03 AM

Which ad campaigns against cigarette smoking are most
effective especially on younger viewers, those dwelling on the health
risks to the actual/ potential consumer or those altering the perception of
that consumer as to how he is/might then be  perceived by his peers and society?

© Copyright 2004 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2004-11-20 09:43 AM

I loved the commercial where the dog pees on the kids cigarette! I think when it comes to their peers objections about smoking, kids listen more than if you tell them when they're 50, they'll have lung cancer.

They are doing some very effective ads lately - I was most impressed with the one where the ad for Virginia Slims claimed if women smoked that brand they'd have a 'voice' in the world. And then a woman with no voice box steps up and says 'is this the voice you were talking about?'

...very effective!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2004-11-20 11:50 AM

I haven't seen that commercial, Sharon, but I believe it would indeed be VERY effective!  Thank you for sharing that one.
Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
3 posted 2004-11-20 04:54 PM

I agree with Sharon - your average teenager thinks 30 is ancient, and 50 is forever away ... "who cares if I'll have lung cancer when I'm drooling on myself and wearing adult diapers?"

(ducks the tomatoes from the 50+ crowd)

I think focusing on the "cigarettes aren't cool" aspect is working.  Of course, the rising cost of cigarettes doesn't hurt either - as a non-smoker I'd be thrilled to see em at $20 a pack or more - let the rich bastards kill themselves off if they want to, they can afford to buy new lungs on the black market.  

In my youth, and even in my 30-year-old decrepitude *winks*, the biggest turn off for me about cigarettes was the yuck factor.  They smell awful and taste worse!

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
4 posted 2004-11-21 08:46 PM

you would think watching a relative (sister/brother/mother/father/child) in their last stages of lung cancer would be enough to make someone stop smoking~~~~ but it doesn't

I remember in college in Health Class we had a smoking dummy (no pun intended) and  it was clear so you could see the lungs fill up with smoke and the tar build up..maybe that  would help..but when they tell you after that if you stop smoking that within so many years your lungs clear, it probably just allows those who are still smoking to think they have a chance later on...

just thoughts from a former smoker who stopped over 25 years ago because of laryngitis and losing my voice for a year...needing speech therapy to get it back

sometimes it takes something drastic to make one stop after starting and becoming addicted

M

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Marketing No

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary