navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » You Gotta Have Heart?
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic You Gotta Have Heart? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2004-11-09 08:38 PM

Is moral confidence a good or bad thing?
Is it necessary to sustain a family, a society?

These questions were brought on by a
program about the decline and fall
of an empire, where the commentator
offered the opinion, not just his own,
that a principle reason was that the
people had lost faith in themselves
and their society.  I’ve been wondering
if that could at least in part explain
the surprising population declines expected
in Europe, contrary to the rest of the world,
(with the exception of Japan, which I can’t
speculate on).

John

© Copyright 2004 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
1 posted 2004-11-09 08:58 PM

What evidence would you provide to suggest that Europeans have "lost faith in themselves and their society?"

I mean, I could postulate that the expected decline of European populations would be a result of the increase in extraterrestrial abductions in that area.  Sounds ridiculous, but it's just as plausible as the other without facts to support it.  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2004-11-09 10:20 PM

*chuckle*

Thank you skyfyre...I needed that.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
3 posted 2004-11-09 11:18 PM

Skyfyre,

“I’ve been wondering”

Simply because of the coincidence
of the program I saw and the population
predictions after.  Next time I’ll just let
the questions stand alone, (and then
someone will ask why I asked).

John

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

4 posted 2004-11-10 08:52 AM

yes, I absolutely do....and I'm learning to enjoy clicking your your debates, ponderings, questions....

you love to get the feel of everyone's input
so do I, it's fun to learn.

I heard it once said, if you look back in history, when did each great nation fall?  The answer was, when they became immoral and corrupt.  and believe this to be true.

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
5 posted 2004-11-10 10:03 AM

quote:
“I’ve been wondering”

Fair enough, but consider this:

I have observed that when I put my teakettle on the stove for about 5 minutes, it begins to whistle.

However, when I go outside and hear a bird whistle, it does not occur to me to "wonder" whether it is due to a judicious amount of heat being applied to his backside.  

Unless Europe is keeping a very large secret from the rest of the world, it does not appear to be a society in decay ... there are many other indicators besides population decline to consider.  Moreover, there are many more plausible explanations for the current population declines than what you've "wondered" about.

quote:
Simply because of the coincidence
of the program I saw and the population
predictions after.  Next time I’ll just let
the questions stand alone, (and then
someone will ask why I asked).

My first reply to this topic could have easily been "Not bloody likely," in which case you would have no doubt asked me for my reasoning.

My second reply would have been that my reasoning was that you had provided none.

Is that better?

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

6 posted 2004-11-10 10:40 AM

moral confidence along with confidence (not vanity) in the family institution certainly wouldn't hurt....of which I'm certain a lot of family's own...proving they stay together...for whatever reasons...it works....and would also work in socities...but then, as everything goes, you cannot tell a person how to live their lives...but again, moral confidence to me is a necessary tool to the sucess of anything.

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

7 posted 2004-11-10 10:41 AM

adding, have you noticed how moral confidence really scares some folks, it's intimidating to them...confidence on the whole is something people fear in other people, calling it pride, someone full of themselves...etc.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » You Gotta Have Heart?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary