navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Modernism
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Modernism Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2002-08-16 02:42 PM

I have posted poems at Poets.org, and Atlantic Writers' Workshop, other forums as well, and people get so irrated, hammer and crush your poem if you use any antique style and language.  They tell you to write "modern".  Do we not have freedom of speech?  I've always admired old words and style, so why can't I write and strive in the manner I admire most?  If we stop using these styles and words and change copies of old texts to always read "modern"  we will no longer have any attatchment with the roots of this language and art, they will basically become extinct.  There's a formalness and straightforwardness that we should keep attatched to and this is in older styles. Modern tends to be very mind muddling.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (08-16-2002 02:53 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
1 posted 2002-08-16 02:56 PM

Yo Essie....don't feel bad....they don't go into such detail with me....they just tell me mine suck and to write poetry?....I don't understand?....Why I know some fifth graders that write worse than I do?.....
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
2 posted 2002-08-16 03:13 PM

Even here at Passions you will get some similar comments. They do have a valid point of view too. The point being, in Shakespear's time they not only wrote that way, they also spoke that way. They wrote in the language of the time, you generally are bettor advised to do the same, write in the language of your time.

That said, I have to confess that I do occasionally enjoy writing in an archaic style. I don't do it often and have even been tolerated if not fully accepted doing so. There are a few points to consider though.

Learn how the language was used. Don't think you can just write thee or thou instead of you. There is much more to it than that. If you want to write like Shakespeare then study and do it right. And never mix it with modern language, words or ideas.

Some subjects are better dealt with using current language. You need to carefully pick your subject before committing to old language. When speaking of the right thing, it can be beautiful.

Finally, don't do it all the time. If that's all you write, you better be damn good or you will get boring in a hurry.

JMHO,
Pete

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Modernism

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary