navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » I kept wondering why
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic I kept wondering why Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
The Napkin Writer
since 2002-06-28
Posts 70

0 posted 2002-07-31 08:24 AM

Why is that every one of these little departments, with the exception of "open poetry," have only five or six people, the same people, flapping their gums, and the morjority poets at PIP, stay away from their departments?

There was a poet last week, asking why no one was posting at one of the departments?  You ever thought that you're running away the poets, whom are willing to post, but it's at the point, they rather leave then to keep being insulted?

There is only so much people are willing to take, after that, they find the safest place, and settle there!  I kept wondering why so many of these little department was always empty!

So now it's been said!  And insteed of trying insult me again, as I have been since I got here, prove me wrong and let me see more then the five or six poets at these departments!

And don't ask me what departments, no one here is blind, you know what departments!

© Copyright 2002 The Napkin Writer - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2002-07-31 09:35 AM

First and foremost this is a poetry site and even the other "departments" as you call them are open to those who "wish" to respond and or post...and is not a requirement.

Many on here have chosen to post wherever and whenever because they have had bad experiences elsewhere. It is a family atmosphere for many and when a subject other than "why people do or do not post" is brought up, those interested respond and keep a "department" lively.

Hope this helps you to understand.
Regards
M

Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
2 posted 2002-07-31 09:39 AM

Hi there, to get read you have to read, to get a reply you must reply. This is very much an open and friendly place, people find the place the forum they are most comfortable in. No one directs them where to write, no one can make them reply.

Take care
Marsha

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
3 posted 2002-07-31 09:45 AM

I used to write in dark and I occasionally write in adult and I post in prose, but open is where my friends are and where I post most often. I would post where I wanted even if I got no replies so I must be one of the five or six who are flapping my gums. Don't let the wind from my flapping gums disturb you at all it doesn't disturb me.
Kethry

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
4 posted 2002-07-31 09:55 AM

I have alot of gum to flap.
hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
5 posted 2002-07-31 12:53 PM

Huh? Nobody tried to insult you... but you post something in a philosophy forum... don't you expect to be questioned and refuted at every turn? It's the nature of the forum... nobody's trying to scare you off... but this forum happens to be a more up-front, data-based area, whereas some of the open poetry areas are focused mainly on emotional, "I can relate to that" types of responses. If analysis of your thoughts and ideas scares you away... it's not the individual people who are at fault... it's simply the fact that you respond more favorably to emotional, rather than analytical comments. My apologies if anything I said sounded harsh... but I would think about this, and in the future, try to post accordingly.

Who is John Galt?

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

6 posted 2002-07-31 02:53 PM

Time is finite. Posts here, sometimes, seem to stretch that boundary into more infinite dimensions. When you have the time, you can read for hours on end and only reply to 35 posts! It's a lot of personal investment, so you're going to make choices on whether to keep reading this person, or not, when one of your favorites has suddenly posted 3.

If it's any other reason, that's probably more internal than external.

Mikey (aka Flapjaw the Rodent)

Said if I only could ...
-KB

MidnightSon
since 2002-05-15
Posts 312
between the gutter & the stars
7 posted 2002-07-31 04:06 PM

at the risk of sounding like everyone else, people round here post where they want.
yeah the other forums outside of open are slower... but they have a theme.
Open is well...open. anyone and everyone can post in there.
dark insiuates your poetry must be dark, spiritual that it must be spiritual, and so on.... it's not always true, but a lot of surfers and users judge the forum by its title and post accordingly.
and that's what you should do. post where you think you current poem will fit in. and always carry a few grains of salt to take the criticism with. cause you can't take everyone in here seriously, myself included.

it's our struggle for identity that leaves us all unknown

Toad
since 2002-06-16
Posts 161

8 posted 2002-07-31 05:34 PM

The Napkin Writer

quote:
Why is that every one of these little departments, with the exception of "open poetry," have only five or six people, the same people, flapping their gums, and the morjority poets at PIP, stay away from their departments?

As has been pointed out people tend to write more poetry that fits into the slot that Open covers, then again Open generally has more visitors reading poetry so a post in there has a potentially greater audience.
quote:
There was a poet last week, asking why no one was posting at one of the departments? You ever thought that you're running away the poets, whom are willing to post, but it's at the point, they rather leave then to keep being insulted?

This seems to imply that people are ‘insulted’ on a regular basis, I can only recall a handful of individual incidents where a member was openly insulted and in all cases the matter was dealt with swiftly by a moderator.
quote:
There is only so much people are willing to take, after that, they find the safest place, and settle there! I kept wondering why so many of these little department was always empty!

Most forums have quiet spells but none are ‘always empty’, the forum this post is in is a prime example take a look at the threads and posting dates and I think you’ll find that even a seemingly quiet forum does have it’s busy periods.
quote:
So now it's been said! And insteed of trying insult me again, as I have been since I got here, prove me wrong and let me see more then the five or six poets at these departments!

I’m assuming that you feel that you have been insulted since you first arrived, maybe you have, in which case I strongly suggest you raise the matter with a moderator citing specific cases on which the moderator WILL act if deemed necessary.
quote:
And don't ask me what departments, no one here is blind, you know what departments!

Although thankfully not clinically blind myself I am compelled to ask – Which departments?
--------------------------------------------------

Marsha

quote:
to get read you have to read, to get a reply you must reply

How do you judge the sincerity of a reply that is posted merely to ellicit reciprocal replies and would a strict adherence to these rules result in good poems and poets being overlooked?

Thanks for the chance to read and reply.

[This message has been edited by Toad (08-02-2002 06:13 PM).]

The Napkin Writer
since 2002-06-28
Posts 70

9 posted 2002-07-31 09:35 PM

It's not about replies or questions, it's the way you say things to people.  You can't go around insulting people, and trying to disguise it by saying it’s constructive criticism.  I don’t want anyone to take the blame for what I feel, but at the same time, I don’t want anyone thinking that I’m so naive, that I can’t tell the difference a insult and constructive criticism.  

I even had someone tell me that my poetry won’t be read. Why?  Because I said I was unwilling to change words in my poetry.  Because I don’t wish to rewrite something until it meet some ones specifications?  Now is that wrong?  

I mean I’m reading this persons piece, and he has rewritten it four times, four times!  I’m like damn, is this some sort of high school exam or what?   Now maybe that person is more than willing to do things that way, and that's that persons right, but I don’t think that “I” should be threaten with that!  

Come on, that’s is not what constructive criticism is about!  It about giving your opinion to a person without threatening that person being.  How do you think that makes me feel when someone tells me, since I’m unwilling to change my words in “my poetry” I won’t be read?  You tell me how that’s right!  Relationships in a family are supposed to be based on trust, security, freedom of expression and so forth.  Be constructive if you must, but don’t insult me, and tell me I don’t have a right to say anything.  I mean what’s next; I get kicked of PIP for having an opinion that differs.  I grew up in the sixties and seventies, so my opinion is going to differ from someone who was born in the eighties, or the thirties, but that don’t give either of our opinion dominion over the others.  No one has power over anybody else, to make them do something against their will.  So way do that to each other?

As far as my poetry goes, I can keep it to myself, because I really like Philosophy 101.  The questions and some of the answers intrigue me.  And I’ve met some really nice people there who I would love to call my friends.  I do like it here, and I’ve started a couple of times to just pack it in, but I’ve found so much value in the things people say here, and that, I am appreciative of, so I'm still staying.

P.s.
"I didn't say someone ask me to leave okay, that also, is not an issue with me."  

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
10 posted 2002-07-31 11:37 PM

This is extremely confusing for me. Did someone insult you here? Is that why this comment is here? But the questions seem to revolve around poetry, not a position.

Help.

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
11 posted 2002-08-01 03:34 AM

Hello all,

PIP Philosophy 101, Big FAN, Longtime listener, first time caller, I'd like to request anything by Wayne Newton, dedicated to my girl in Alcatraz doing 10-20 yrs for mailing large cats to small dogs.

Hi Napkin, its obvious to me which forum you are talking about. Critical Analysis, the beloved forum, the white rhino, the Maltese Falcon, the emerald in the sky, the twinkle in the sprinkle of a child's candied eye, ok if that doesn't peeve people off I don't know what will   Hey what does this button do? (Trevor presses the button and a horde of Open Poetry posters engage in a ginsu knife demonstration on the naive poet's belly.)

"It's not about replies or questions, it's the way you say things to people.  You can't go around insulting people, and trying to disguise it by saying it’s constructive criticism."

While I do agree that occasionally some people could use a little more etiquette, you still have to remember that comments are directed at the poem and not the poet. If by chance someone makes a personal remark and mud-slings then I agree with Toad that you should contact the moderators.

"I even had someone tell me that my poetry won’t be read. Why?  Because I said I was unwilling to change words in my poetry."

I read that same post, personally I think the person was trying to state the opinion of, why should anyone bother to comment upon a poem if the poet states outright he will not change a word? It's just as insulting to a person using their free time to critique a poem and have the poet say,"I will never change my words or structure of my poetry.", as it would be for them to say, "In my opinion you should not write poetry.". Both seem to attempt to squash a speakers voice.  And if you are insulted or defensive when people suggest change, then it almost comes across as if you will only accept "good" comments. If someone feels the poem is not the best you could do, yet you don't even consider change, then why should they continue to try and give you workable ideas on how to "improve" your poetry. Cause if its just "fluffy" comments you want then check out Open Poetry...j/k, How many enemies did I make with that comment?  

"I mean I’m reading this persons piece, and he has rewritten it four times, four times!  I’m like damn, is this some sort of high school exam or what?"

Not an exam, more like a pop quiz. Four times, damn, sounds a lot like something I would do and for the record its now up to five...I think I've discovered perpetual motion, critique-change-critique-change. Which version did you prefer? Normally I don't do a lot of rewrites after its been critiqued prefering not only to snack on comments made but to also let the mind settle so that I may get a fresher perspective on the poem. I decided to push this poem because I'm finding the evolution of it kinda interesting and informative. I'm changing it...and often....to suit the eyes of others because I am learning, (or trying to), what they see when they read poetry, my poetry in particular. I'm learning new ways to break up lines, new ways to punctuate and alliterate and it forces me into rethinking old metaphors and descriptions. That's the beauty of poetry, there is never a moment where you can't learn something, such is the beauty of life as well. Sometimes though I just say, "stuff it! I'm keeping it the way I want" and was just curious to see if anyone else, other than myself, would enjoy it because I am "right" on this one. Then about three months later I re-read it and end up changing it anyways. I don't think anyone is telling you how to write, but rather how you may be more "successful" with your poetry, at least in their opinion and in the sense of reaching a larger audience.

"Be constructive if you must, but don’t insult me, and tell me I don’t have a right to say anything."

Truth is, in my opinion, we all write some pretty dreadful stuff, (to call ourselves "good" would be insulting to the great writers throughout history, because if not them, then who should we use as a watermark?), and none of us like to be told just how amatuery we can all be sometimes. It stings to have someone say they dislike a poem, because a poem, due to its length and format, has the tendency to be packed with or attached to, raw, core emotions and experiences. No one likes to feel that their emotions aren't validated or that the way they express themselves isn't enjoyable. I don't know if anyone ever gets over that sting completely. I think it was Dickenson who said, "The irony of the writer is that we spend all our time alone trying to relate to others."...or something like that.

"How do you think that makes me feel when someone tells me, since I’m unwilling to change my words in “my poetry” I won’t be read?"

Probably similar to the way they feel when they are told you will never change your writing no matter what they say. Think I've just discovered "perpetual un-motion".   Writing for an audience is, in my opinion, a game of give and take. You can't want to show your work and say that you only write for yourself, therefore, you can't only write for yourself if you expect others to read your work. Well I guess some do, born with two blessed pens in each hand and a natural gift that can only be explained as God-like, but they too payed their dues or lucked out with a sixth sense of a publisher's whim. I guess essentially, we all write for ourselves, even when we write for others because we all want praise for our efforts to connect a better'd world. Okay I'm done.

Well, I hope you're all happy now, see what you've brought on yourselves, another bloated response from the ever bingeful son of a goat.

Thanks all,

Trevor

PS One more quick thing,
you said,
"It's not about replies or questions, it's the way you say things to people.  You can't go around insulting people"

but you've also said,

"Why is that every one of these little departments, with the exception of "open poetry," have only five or six people, the same people, flapping their gums,",
some people may construde that as an insult, probably the gum flappers I believe we...errrr...I mean they, have their own political party now. And there is a bill in Congress being passed around for three hookers and a hotel room that no one is willing to pay. ba-dump-da....one show, one show only, Las Vegas, get your tickets while you can .  

[This message has been edited by Trevor (08-01-2002 03:46 AM).]

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

12 posted 2002-08-01 06:30 PM

quote:
How do you judge the sincerity of a reply that is posted merely to illicit reciprocal replies

that is a very good question when the place is run on a reply machine and me thinks is a whole nother thread topic. Could be very interesting.......wanna referee

quote:
and would a strict adherence to these rules result in good poems and poets being overlooked?

Not if I find your post first  

oooppps....I'm all out of gum ...

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
13 posted 2002-08-01 10:46 PM

I'd be careful questioning the nature of the 'reply machine'... I did that once and it turned into a 100 post thread with a lot of ticked off people...

Who is John Galt?

MidnightSon
since 2002-05-15
Posts 312
between the gutter & the stars
14 posted 2002-08-16 06:19 AM

LOL
"ecstacy is all you need
living in the big machine"

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
15 posted 2002-08-16 03:12 PM

Yo Nappie....I insult people all the time....I get insulted all the time....if it weren't for insults I wouldn't get any replies at all...I've read some of your stuff and even been nice, (and that's really unusual for me)...But then again, most of your stuff seems well written and well thought out?..LOL....I am just a run of the mill smart ass but people expect that from me, as I expect what I usually get...and I just don't understand?...My poetry sux, my attitude sux, and my responses are usually right in line with what I've written?...It's just not fair is it?....

[This message has been edited by Toerag (08-16-2002 03:17 PM).]

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
16 posted 2002-08-16 03:16 PM

I was going to comment on this but I found Trevor said exactly what I would have said.
quote:
"I even had someone tell me that my poetry won’t be read. Why?  Because I said I was unwilling to change words in my poetry."

I read that same post, personally I think the person was trying to state the opinion of, why should anyone bother to comment upon a poem if the poet states outright he will not change a word? It's just as insulting to a person using their free time to critique a poem and have the poet say,"I will never change my words or structure of my poetry.", as it would be for them to say, "In my opinion you should not write poetry.". Both seem to attempt to squash a speakers voice.  And if you are insulted or defensive when people suggest change, then it almost comes across as if you will only accept "good" comments. If someone feels the poem is not the best you could do, yet you don't even consider change, then why should they continue to try and give you workable ideas on how to "improve" your poetry. Cause if its just "fluffy" comments you want then check out Open Poetry...j/k, How many enemies did I make with that comment?

Of course, he di say it a little more eloquently than I would have

Pete

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think - Niels Bohr

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » I kept wondering why

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary